Originally Posted by Pizzel
I am very much against using the Highlands course for TDG. The SSA would be incredibly low making it hard to separate the field by handicap. On the other hand, the Gold course will take a long, long, long, long time to play considering the amount of TDG participants rated below 850. How about playing the doubles matches on the Gold course and the singles matches on the Canyon course?
So say that we go with this option, how long do we wait for the 8 dubs cards to get done with the long course before we send out everybody for the afternoon singles? Will 2 players rated below 850 get around the long course that much faster than 1? An hour faster? I am thinking of 8 ratings points per stroke for the long course though...
We have an SSA chart for a reason. Just because we've only used the 9, 10 & 11 parts doesn't mean that we can't use the other parts. We just need a valid SSA for the Highland course. It may be that we use 14 or 15 ratings points per stroke on that course. We will still play plenty of long and hard courses this year, they all don't have to be monsters.
Kevin, I didn't say that Leverich was too short to be included, just that it couldn't hold a 10 team match due to the number of holes. Likewise Rockwood/Vance suffers from the same problem as Rooster Rock, you cannot play them as 18 hole courses. There are 18 holes at the Highland course and it can accommodate the match nicely.
Keith, the holes are short. A stand and deliver tee shot works for every hole I believe. If we play in bad weather then it really won't matter much which course we play, there will be enough mud for everybody's enjoyment.
I think that since we are playing on the shortest day of the TDG year we may need the highland course to get around the courses in daylight. I am leaning towards playing the Highland course. Please continue with your thoughts on the singles/doubles playing on different courses. How do you think the logistics will work for that? How can we make it work? I'd be willing to give it a try if we can get a good plan going.
Otherwise, maybe next year we can play Horning's early when we have DST to help us out.