Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect...........please

Mods,
    For the sake of respect, would it be too much to ask the mods to first ask a "poster" if they mind the mods editing their post?
    I do realize that some of mine were changed for the better, (thanks Matt) but I feel invaded a wee bit when I see another name editing/adding words to my posts.
    I guess it's just my old school principles.
    Thanks
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    - Anonymous

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
    Mods,
    For the sake of respect, would it be too much to ask the mods to first ask a "poster" if they mind the mods editing their post?
    I do realize that some of mine were changed for the better, (thanks Matt) but I feel invaded a wee bit when I see another name editing/adding words to my posts.
    I guess it's just my old school principles.
    Thanks
    I added event dates to the titles of your posts and then stickied them so that they would be more noticed. I did not in any way alter the content of your posts or add words to the posts themselves. I've been doing this for everyone's events but I won't do that in the future for yours. No disrepsect was intended and I think that's pretty obvious, but I apologize that you are offended by it.

I'm not going to ask for permission from everyone for helping their events get more noticed, but if they are offended by it I will refrain from doing so.

I don't know how to do this but it would be helpful if we had a permanent notice posted about how to title event announcements - Name of Event, and Date or at least year at a minimium. Name of Event, Date including year, Location is even better. The reason this helps is because people sometimes post into old threads for events from previous years with the same names, and it helps the moderators know when to unstick events. But if people would rather use titles that don't convey useful information and leave their posts at the bottom of what is now a huge list of events, I don't mind.
    Last edited by Matt B.; May 4th, 2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
      I added event dates to the titles of your posts and then stickied them so that they would be more noticed. I did not in any way alter the content of your posts or add words to the posts themselves. I've been doing this for everyone's events but I won't do that in the future for yours. No disrepsect was intended and I think that's pretty obvious, but I apologize that you are offended by it.

I'm not going to ask for permission from everyone for helping their events get more noticed, but if they are offended by it I will refrain from doing so.
      No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

[...]

I don't know how to do this but it would be helpful if we had a permanent notice posted about how to title event announcements - Name of Event, and Date at a minimium, Name of Event, Date, Location is even better. The reason this helps is because people sometimes post into old threads for events from previous years with the same names, and it helps the moderators know when to unstick events. But if people would rather use titles that don't convey useful information and leave their posts at the bottom of what is now a huge list of events, I don't mind.
        You are helping cure an occasional problem: Poorly titled posts which lead to confusion.
        I agree with what you're doing Matt, keep up the good work!

Comment

How about we all agree to only clarify confusing thread titles... No changes to anything in the message body unless approved by the original poster?
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
            How about we all agree to only clarify confusing thread titles... No changes to anything in the message body unless approved by the original poster?
            That was my thinking, and then only for event announcement threads that would benefit from being stickied - and only when it appears to be THE announcement thread for the event, posted by the organizers or someone authorized to make the announcement. For instance, there is a current thread in Oregon Events tiltled "Whistling Discs in July" that is not an announcement of the event. That's the kind of confusion i thought this might help, and get people more easily to the information they want.

I would never consider altering someone's post or the title of non-event announcement threads. I was trying to be helpful. Although I will not ask permission to do this kind of totally harmless moderation, I will send a PM to anyone whose thread title I alter for this reason alerting them to the change. Perhaps then the folks who repeatedly post event announcements with no date or location in the title will be reminded the next time.

And I promise to refrain from adding punctuation or proper spacing to dates that need them and would make them easier to understand.
            Last edited by Matt B.; May 4th, 2012, 12:59 PM. Reason: Because I am a non-old school principled dick.

Comment

And I promise to refrain from adding punctuation or proper spacing to dates that need them and would make them easier to understand.
              What? Why not? Seems like the most innocuous kind of change (and the kind I like).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
                What? Why not? Seems like the most innocuous kind of change (and the kind I like).
                See OP and Oregon Events subforum.

Comment

I would vote to do away with the stickies altogether. I find it a nuisance when a thread that I might be interested in is way down the list because the moderators didn't choose to make it sticky. Or conversely when a sticky thread is above others even though it is not getting any new posts.

But maybe that would make it all one big bump fest? That would be even more annoying I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lund View Post
                    I would vote to do away with the stickies altogether. I find it a nuisance when a thread that I might be interested in is way down the list because the moderators didn't choose to make it sticky. Or conversely when a sticky thread is above others even though it is not getting any new posts.

But maybe that would make it all one big bump fest? That would be even more annoying I reckon.

I don't know how possible it is in the BBS setup. On another board I am on users can prioritize threads; high, normal, or low. Then when reading they can select whether to read everything, normal, or only their important posts. Makes quick reads much easier.
                    "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      No good deed goes unpunished.
                      sad but true

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X