X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now available on NWDGN: Forums for local clubs

Sam and I have been talking about a new idea for NWDGN: if your local disc golf club wants a forum to talk about local issues, let us know and we'll set one up and designate one or two people as moderators (this would give them the ability to rename threads, delete off-topic posts, etc.).

The club forums would be sub-forums of a new section that hasn't been created yet.

I know some of the clubs in WA and OR have discussion boards set up on various Web sites already, but I also know that many of them are very rarely used, possibly because so much of the action is happening here already. Moving your forum to NWDGN would make for one-stop shopping, and would relieve you of the hassle of maintaining a forum of your own.
    Oregon disc golf map

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
    Sam and I have been talking about a new idea for NWDGN: if your local disc golf club wants a forum to talk about local issues, let us know and we'll set one up and designate one or two people as moderators (this would give them the ability to rename threads, delete off-topic posts, etc.).

The club forums would be sub-forums of a new section that hasn't been created yet.

I know some of the clubs in WA and OR have discussion boards set up on various Web sites already, but I also know that many of them are very rarely used, possibly because so much of the action is happening here already. Moving your forum to NWDGN would make for one-stop shopping, and would relieve you of the hassle of maintaining a forum of your own.

Great idea. I hope Stumptown gets on board with this.

Will these be private forums, available only to club members?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      Will these be private forums, available only to club members?
      Probably not, because to do that would require creating "groups" of users; that's something only admins can do, and it becomes an administrative hassle.

But a club could choose to have their forum be "moderated," meaning a forum-specific moderator would have to approve all postings.

It is also possible for a forum to have a password, and I suppose that might be a possibility, if it's really necessary.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Probably not, because to do that would require creating "groups" of users; that's something only admins can do, and it becomes an administrative hassle.

But a club could choose to have their forum be "moderated," meaning a forum-specific moderator would have to approve all postings.

It is also possible for a forum to have a password, and I suppose that might be a possibility, if it's really necessary.
        I think it would be necessary, if we want the forums to reach their full potential. A lot of club business that is discussed on the forums needs to stay private at least for a while (talk about upcomming tournaments and courses usually stays behind the scenes until most details are worked out).

Comment

I think it would be necessary, if we want the forums to reach their full potential. A lot of club business that is discussed on the forums needs to stay private at least for a while (talk about upcomming tournaments and courses usually stays behind the scenes until most details are worked out).
          I suppose we can make a "private club business" sub-forum that's password-protected. We can't go much farther than that though.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I suppose we can make a "private club business" sub-forum that's password-protected. We can't go much farther than that though.
            Would each club have their own PW?

Comment

Would each club have their own PW?
              Yes, and the moderator for that club's forum would be responsible for giving it out.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

. .
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Doesn't Stumptown have their own site, with forum? And can't clubs network via Ning and the Scene? Just sayin'....
                  Last edited by TreeLove; December 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM.
                  Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                  Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                  Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                  Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                  Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                    Doesn't Stumptown have their own site, with forum? And can't clubs network via Ning and the Scene? Just sayin'....
                    Sure, they can. This just gives them another option, in a very popular venue where people are already discussing local disc golf stuff.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Right on.
                      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Isn't consolidation a better way?

Here's a thought...

What I mean is this. If people are not currently going to the clubs website because they are mainly going to the NW Forum site - then why not have a discussion board/forum or something attached to the clubs web site? That to me is "one stop shopping". The way it is now people have to visit 2 sites to get everything. I like having a "one stop shop" at the clubs website. And what if they don't actually know that there is a NW Forum... then they're only getting some of the news. Who's telling the new guys?
                        Rely on Me

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Pilot View Post
                          why not have a discussion board/forum or something attached to the clubs web site?
                          A lot of clubs DO have forums, but they're often not used very much (see the Albany/Mid-Valley Club's site). And it's one more thing for the club to have to maintain. Piggybacking onto this forum is just a different form of consolidation.
                          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Okay, then we should clearly let everyone know that visits the SDGA site that all communications are done through the NW Forum. I just looked at the www.sdga.us site and couldn't find a link or explanation that all communications are done through the NW Disc Golf Forum site. I will mention this to the webmaster.
                            Rely on Me

Comment

The SDGA needs to let us know if they want a specific section set up on here for their club's stuff, and whether or not it should be password-protected.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X