Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Props!

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
    No, he's just lazy and distracted.
    But manages to do a hell of a job at this website ANYWAY!

YOU DA MAN!

Thanks for all that you do to make this forum the awesome place that it is!
    Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
    Or does here stand the last remaining man
    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
    Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Could someone please pay a little more attention to the stickied washington events?
      Thank you!
      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
        Could someone please pay a little more attention to the stickied washington events?
        Thank you!
        Ok, cleaned it up a bit for you. Let me know if I missed any.
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
          Thank you!
          Sorry about that - I'm usually on top of all of them, but have been a little preoccupied with other stuff lately.

Comment

THANKS!
            Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Instead of working like I should be... I've been thinking about this forum, our actions on the forum and the work a moderator does. And, more specifically, how my actions on the forum affect both myself and others. I'm going to keep thinking... and hopefully have an insight or two. At the moment I have a couple questions that may help me....

(PLEASE, oh PLEASE, do NOT read anything into my questions. You have no idea where I may be going with my thinking. You can't, since I'm not sure yet!)
              Who are the mods? Are they appointed (after volunteering) by Sam and for how long? Are, or should, mods be held to a higher level of accountability for their actions on the forum as de-facto role models for forum decorum? Can anyone volunteer to be a mod? Has anyone conducted a poll in the past year on whether the site's users prefer to keep or remove the contro section? Are the site's users aware that civic leaders monitor this site and consciously or unconsciously form opinions about DG and DGers from their observations?

Input welcome.

Oh, I'm supposed to have a suggestion here... I suggest we think about the forum and it's role in DG.

My uninformed guess is this is one of the top DG sites in the world! Is there anything we (users) can do to make it better for ourselves and the DGers of the future?

I'm gonna go kill blackberries and think about this...

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
                Who are the mods? Are they appointed (after volunteering) by Sam and for how long? Are, or should, mods be held to a higher level of accountability for their actions on the forum as de-facto role models for forum decorum? Can anyone volunteer to be a mod?
                The answer to most of these is "yes." People volunteered, and Sam thought they seemed like reasonable people, so they were brought onto the team. (Yes, the fact that Sam can be a troublemaker himself is ironic, but it's his server.) If someone new wanted to volunteer, the existing mods would discuss it.

Has anyone conducted a poll in the past year on whether the site's users prefer to keep or remove the contro section?
                Not recently, but I think that anytime we've raised this question, the majority seems to prefer that the CT section remain. Among the moderator team, there are opinions on both sides.

Are the site's users aware that civic leaders monitor this site and consciously or unconsciously form opinions about DG and DGers from their observations?
                Many users are aware of this; many others don't know and/or don't care. But I think it might not be a bad idea to add a prominent statement to this effect to the Site Rules.

My uninformed guess is this is one of the top DG sites in the world!
                I'm pretty sure it's the most active regional forum. It doesn't match DGR or DGCR for total traffic, but we wouldn't expect it to.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Are the site's users aware that civic leaders monitor this site and consciously or unconsciously form opinions about DG and DGers from their observations?
                  Mein Got! You think that they will figure out that we are human with differing opinions on shit? Damn... I hope not. I hope they think that we are all some sort of superheroes... still.

CT and this board cannot be seen by people who are not registered and logged in.
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    Mein Got! You think that they will figure out that we are human with differing opinions on shit? Damn... I hope not. I hope they think that we are all some sort of superheroes... still.
                    Don't dismiss it so quickly, Sam. He's got a point. I don't think the "perceptions of outsiders" thing is about disagreements, even vehement ones -- what makes me worry are casual references to drugs, drinking, etc.

As always, I'm not asking people to change their behavior -- I'm not naÔve and/or stupid. Just ask people to consider what it looks like to "Friends of ____ Park" and the "_____ville Weekly News" before they post.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

• Wes I think you need more things to fill out your day.
                      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

• Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                        Wes I think you need more things to fill out your day.
                        My back still hurts or I was gonna go play.

Comment

• Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                          Wes I think you need more things to fill out your day.
                          With three times the posts Tom you might need to heed your own ad VICE
                          rewindb.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                            Don't dismiss it so quickly, Sam. He's got a point. I don't think the "perceptions of outsiders" thing is about disagreements, even vehement ones -- what makes me worry are casual references to drugs, drinking, etc.
                            This has long been a discussion in the rave scene. The truth is many parts of the sports history do have ties to drug culture. Right or wrong it is there. I think what is more important is setting a big line in the sand and placing professional sport on one side and casual fun on the other.

We all know about beer league softball and don't consider it when talking baseball and it's politics. This is because the distinguishment between professional and casual enthusiasts.

Although professional baseball is a much bigger entity it is still a place that can be looked to for some guidance as I am sure in its infancy there were many discussions to professionalism in sports.

(As a caveat I am horribly uneducated about professional baseball but feel the point is still valid. If am wrong educate me and I'll happily concede my points.)
                            "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.Ē

Comment

• Every page here that I'm trying to load tonight is hanging up on something called "b.static.ak.fbcdn.net."

What's that about?
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                                Every page here that I'm trying to load tonight is hanging up on something called "b.static.ak.fbcdn.net."

What's that about?
                                The "fb" stands for Facebook. It's that "Find us on Facebook" box at the bottom of the page. I blocked it using Adblock Plus the same day Sam added it to the site.
                                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X