X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
    I appreciate everything Sam does to provide this forum. This site is the most useful thing for Oregon disc golfers on the interweb, period. People who don't visit it, TDs who don't use it, are all missing out, period. But this new version is just really frustrating, probably for Sam more than anyone. I just want the old forum back. Or something like it. It was easy to read, easy to post, and it did everything we needed. When I go to DGCR now I am reminded of how great the old forum was.
    As much as I also miss the old forum, that software had reached its end of life as far as support goes. vBulletin is what we were using before so it only made sense to upgrade to their latest and greatest. Well, it turns out that they are working on it still but making progress with every release.

The forum still loads very slowly for me, but it's gotten a little better. I get "long running script" errors still, and it still occasionally temporarily freezes my machine. I do use a work machine on which I am required to run Explorer, and I know Explorer sucks.
    I have tried to recreate this error and even searched for it on the vBulletin support forums... nothing. Are we talking about the Forums - http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum - or the main page? Can you send me the text of this error so I can share it with vBulletin developers?

The "last post" function still doesn't work for me. I don't like having the first post in a thread stuck to the top. Maybe it's because I use the forum a lot, but I want to open the site and see what is new, easily. The threads almost never correctly display new posts since my last visit.
    This is a known bug and is supposed to be resolved with the release of 5.0.5 later this week. Let's hope it works.

I don't want us to lose any data or posts, but anything that can be done to just simplify the forum, make it easier to read and post would be great. I don't know what the visitation data says but I worry that the forum will start to lose its utility as an info source as people find it less user friendly. I know I'm already visiting it much less.
    The only option I can see for this would be to purchase new forum software and migrate to an entirely new platform. We would not lose posts but we would lose attachments, private messages and several other things we would want to retain. I am still hoping to see the issues we are experiencing get resolved rather than go that route, honestly...
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

• Matt B.
      Matt B. commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't what, if anything you did last night, but the site is working much better for me today. Faster loads, and the front page of the forum does seem to be accurately reflecting new posts in threads.

I downloaded the free Tapatalk app and it is much better than the Forumrunner.

One more thing on comments versus replies. I just noticed that you can't reply to someone's reply, or if you can I can't see how. Used to be you could reply on someone's reply and they would be quoted. I want that back. Also noticed that comments don't show up as new activity unless you open the thread. That's not good. I know you can subscribe and get a notification on a thread, but that's just an extra step and then I end up with 50 notifications.

Also noticed that attachments don't show up when you select the "Latest Activity" thread. I noticed this in the Cottage Grove Fall Classic thread. When I select "Latest Activity" the attachment that Huk-n-Geiks added to his reply does not show up, but when I look in normal view, it is there. Not a killer, but odd.

Thanks for continuing to work on it Sammy!

Is there any hope of ever getting the "view new posts" function back? I really found it to be the most effective way of browsing the forums without feeling like I was missing something. Clicking on each sub-forum to see whats there kind of sucks. Scratch that. It really sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      Is there any hope of ever getting the "view new posts" function back? I really found it to be the most effective way of browsing the forums without feeling like I was missing something. Clicking on each sub-forum to see whats there kind of sucks. Scratch that. It really sucks.
      Yes. There is a JIRA ticket out there that discusses this. I will see if I can find you the link so that you can know what the status of this bug is. Trust me... you are not alone in wanting this back. MANY vBulletin owners are also complaining.
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Scott... trying clearing cookies? You've had this issue since the upgrade and I am wondering if you need a new cookie set to get this to work properly. I see this issue sometimes and sometimes not but I am suspecting it might have to do with the fact that Mark All Channels Read is flaky for you, as well.

Also.. what browser and operating system are you using?
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

• Scott
          Scott commented
          Editing a comment
          Seems that I've seen this problem on a couple of machines. I bounce between IE and Chrome, depending on my mood.

I'll try tossing my cookies.

Found a new problem. Can't leave a thread by using my browser's back button. It takes me to the top post in the thread. Just happened in this thread. Happened earlier today in a different thread, but I don't recall which one. IE9.

Comment

OK, tossed my cookies. Closed browser. Came back to the site and tried to mark channels read - it appears to do nothing at all. Forum topics are still appearing as unread. Tried Chrome this time. Same result.

Enough forum for today, I suppose. Later.

Comment

I noticed the links at the top of the page ie calendar,vendors, ect are not working as desired. I get "Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message"
            The Frisbee is the mirror to the soul.

-M. Burns

Comment

The links however do work from the actual home page
              The Frisbee is the mirror to the soul.

-M. Burns

Comment

So I just got the tapatalk app... all I can say is that I love that while it loads initially, there is a forum called "Big Booty" displayed prominently in the center of the screen. Other than that... Well, fb is now my life, not the forum. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

• Matt B.
                  Matt B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Well, fb is now my life"

Somewhere Mark Zuckerberg just got wood in his hoodie.

Sam,
                I wish the site worked as well as the earlier version, but I still see the site as the best way to send and receive information concerning DG is the PNW. No matter how this site works, it's still a whole lot better than using the societal disservice site called FBook. But I understand teenagers think it's all the rage.

Then again, I still believe phones were made for speaking to others using one's voice and hearing.

Oh, this thread is for site bugs.... why don't comments show up as new input on the front page?

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
                  Oh, this thread is for site bugs.... why don't comments show up as new input on the front page?
                  Erm... I believe that they do. It's how I found Emma's post and yours.
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

• Wes Hansen
                    Wes Hansen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think those are new posts, not comments. But I've been wrong before. Lemme check.

• Wes Hansen
                    Wes Hansen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OK, they show up under "latest activity" but don't reflect as latest on the forum category page.... yeah, that's what I meant.

Also, when I look at who is online- such as when I posted my POST, it only had ME online (2:16pm today). Could that possibly be right?

OK- Back in business. New notes to Sam. Mark Channels read not working. Just lifts to top of page. No more last post button. I bet you're working hard on all this and much more. Call it a night and start fresh tomorrow. Maybe have a beer! Thanks for all the work. I didn't switch to FBook while you were away.

Comment

Send resulted in sending me to a weird page. Edit & comment not working. Have two beers. Don't get frustrated.

Comment

Yeah... something is weird...
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

And the time is still off by an hour. And formatting of posts is off. Shall I look more tonight or wait for more of your interweb work?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X