Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pledge Drive for New Forums!

UPDATE #3:

Thank you for the very quick response! We have reached our initial goal of $250 in less than 24 hours.

I wish that I could say that that was the end and I could just push a button that would upgrade us and we would be enjoying the new software already. The upgrade of the forums will be a little bit of a process and will be a little but more costly than I had anticipated.

THE LONG STORY:
    Since these boards were created in 2008, I have used GoDaddy as the host and the domain registrar. We have had our issues and hiccups but nothing so major. There was the brief and misguided support GoDaddy had for CISPA that had me considering a change of hosts but I stuck with them for the time being.

Well, much as I do not want to move away from GoDaddy, it seems that they are dragging in keeping their software current. Here are the facts:

vBulletin 5 requires PHP 5.3 but recommends 5.4. GoDaddy will offer up to 5.3.
    vBulletin 5 requires MySQL version 5.1.5 but recommends 5.5+. GoDaddy currently offers us 5.0 - a version of the software that is no longer supported.

Bottom line... it's time to change hosts.

Bluehost has impressed me from everything that I have seen and from my brief experience using them for another project. This morning I signed up for my own account with them and will begin the process of moving the site later this evening.
    END LONG STORY

SHORT STORY
    The forums will be migrated from the old host (GoDaddy) to BlueHost starting later tonight. There will be downtime as the internet catches up to the changes but we will return. After the migration, the upgrade will occur.

STEPS:
    1. At 11pm PT tonight, I will close the discussion boards and back-up the database.

2. I will then begin the domain name transfer from the old host to the new host

3. I will upload all files and verify that everything works in the same fashion that it did today.

4. I will re-open the discussion boards hopefully by midnight tonight.

5. Over the next few days, I will then begin the process of upgrading the discussion boards which will also result in some closures. These I will try to do late at night so as not to disrupt your posting joy.

COST:
    I have signed up for one month of hosting ($9.99) to make sure that Bluehost will work for us. I believe it will and if I am correct, I will then sign up for a year's worth of hosting which costs $83.40. Domain registration will be $10 for the year. Added to the $250 for the software, we are at a grand total of $343.40.

Requested: $343.40
    Pledged: $261.97

----------------------------------------

OK, folks. That time of year again.

Only... we're going to do something a little different and make our disc golf posting experiences even better.

vBulletin has recently upgraded their software to version 5. We are currently using 3.7.3. A LOT has changed. For example, there is an integrated Blogging system that allows any member the ability to have their own blog. And Social Groups have been improved to make them even better.

Drawback #1... the software is more expensive than previous - now $250.
    Saving Grace to Drawback #1.... this is a one-time fee and once it is paid, we will be done with the $85/year to keep our license current.

Drawback #2... the upgrade may take me some time as we will have to upgrade to version 4... and then to version 5.
    Saving Grace to Drawback #2.... I have done this before and - if all goes according to plan - you will go to sleep one night with the boards looking as they are now and wake up the following morning with the new site.

I have re-activated my PayPal account to get this done.
    cygnusftk@yahoo.com

Thanks!

--------------------------------------

UPDATE #1:

In our first 12 hours...
    Amazing response. Providing this space is an honor for me so knowing that others use it and appreciate it this much is an amazing bonus.

Requested: $250
    Pledged: $203 (81.2%)

--------------------------------------

UPDATE #2
    23 hours... and we made it. Blown away at how awesome this community is.

Requested: $250
    Pledged: $261.97 (Not sure how that happened as no one donated an uneven dollar amount.

Excess funds will be used for other expenses such as hosting and domain registration.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Thanks Sam.

Comment

This Nazi Moderator is in for $5.

Comment

How does one moderate nazis?
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Thanks Matt!
          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Thank you, Mr. Anderson!
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Thank you, Eric!
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

10% of the way there!
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

You guys ROCK!

Thank you Jeff Hagerty - our very own Moderhater!

Thank you Jason Pinkal!

We are at 55%!!
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

sent 5

Comment

Thanks Bryan!
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

It's not a lot, but I love (and use) the boards. I hope the donation helps!

Disc Addiction / Tim and Danni Baugher
                        www.DiscAddiction.com - custom dyed discs

www.WhidbeyIslandDiscGolf.com - club info

Comment

Thanks Tim and Danni!!
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Thanks Jeremy John!

Thanks Jeff Mittl!
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Wow... can I just say...

amazing support so quickly. I really hope you guys enjoy the next generation of our discussion community as I believe you will. The support you guys have shown time and time again has been nothing short of... well... what I love about our disc golf family.

and...

I cannot believe how poorly PayPal sends the "note" with contributions.

First post edited with current stats. THANK YOU!!!
                              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X