Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far should a (woman) beginner be able to throw?

Hi all!
    This question is regarding tee-off drives.

How far did you throw when you first started and did you use lower weight disc at first or did you "disc down" after a bit of trial and error?

Here is my history with distance as a beginner:

I have been playing disc golf for about three months. At first I was horrible because I was trying to throw like when I used to play "catch" Frisbee and I didn't move at all really, just threw with my arm. It was taking me about 6-8 throws to get to the basket. I was (maybe) getting about 30-50 feet per throw.

I finally started to figure out that I had to move (use my hips etc...) and my distance increased a bit, by maybe 10ft. or so...not a lot.

Then I started throwing side-arm (fore-arm) and added a little bit of a run-up and lunge into the mix. I started getting really good consistent flights and distances of about 90-115 feet. This makes me happy, as I can now get to most baskets within 3-4 throws.

Now I have started working on my backhand and it is getting much better, and although it is still weaker than my sidearm throw, I feel like eventually I'll get the hang of it.

All my discs are in the 175g range because we bought all our discs locally and stores never seem to stock lower weight discs. I did find a 145g SHARK and bought that and it seems like I can throw it a lot farther!!!

I see that a lot of you use lower weight discs, so I think I might try to disc down a bit and see if that helps with distance.

What was your experience and how far do (non-pro) women eventually end up throwing?

well... even tho you're asking about non-pros... i'm gonna answer anyway. that's just how i roll.

i would say as you're creeping over 100 feet you should be really happy with that.

i've been playing for 15 years and only recently started creeping up on 300. my average is about 285... that is with a 135g blizzard wraith.

lighter is better for many reasons... it goes farther for women/beginners/crusties and it takes less torque and effort to throw which i find to be remarkably nicer on my shoulder. i've always thrown light (150 r pro bosses were my bread and butter until blizzard came out) but even then i was feeling quite a bit of shoulder soreness after tournaments.

from what i've seen most intermediate-advanced women are throwing 150-225 feetish. some longer and some shorter.

just don't get to caught up in distance... as a pro that doesn't throw as far as most gals i play with but still tends to win tournaments, i will tell you straight up... it's more about consistency and the short game.

paige pierce and catrina allen (touring pros) can crush 450 feet easy.

i've seen carie coleman (local pro) throw at least 325.

p.s. buy plastic online... get the weight that you need. very few people out there, especially beginners, should be throwing 175... unless it's your putter.
    Last edited by emmarose; August 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM. Reason: i got a lot to say
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

The shark will be good for you
      my wifes just a begginer and she has the best throws with weights in the 145-160 range
      I have done a lot of homework to try and make her game better/easier

Get yourself a 150 leopard
      That will become your favorite, it is hers

Comment

Nina,

Your distance is tough to assess. There are so many variables involved: age, strength, stamina, athletic experience, discs you throw and amount you play. You will be the best judge of your improvement by seeing your scores drop, remembering how far you threw last time on that hole and how you feel. Comparing your distance to others is like comparing apples to oranges.

Throw lighter plastic that forces YOU to learn how to throw a disc properly, as opposed to the disc doing the work for you. Lighter weights (you picked up on this) in the 150s are a great place to start as are the types of disc you buy. Look for a Valkyrie, Sidewinder or Leopard. These discs will do what you tell them to do. Blizzard plastic is light, but some of the rims are large, which I don't think is advisable to start with them.

Scour YouTube for tutorials. There is no shortage of videos out there. Also, Innova and DiscCraft have throwing tips on their websites.

Practice and watch your game (and distance) improve. It's not always about the long bomb. It's more about consistency, accuracy and placement...and putting! Putting! Putting!

Check out our monthly Chick Flicks and play with other women. We're fun. I promise.

Comment

my wife was averaging 200-225 today (just stepping it off) and she has only been playing about 3 mo.
          with a very light dx sidewinder
          I dont know if this is average or not

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
            well... even tho you're asking about non-pros... i'm gonna answer anyway. that's just how i roll.

i would say as you're creeping over 100 feet you should be really happy with that.

i've been playing for 15 years and only recently started creeping up on 300. my average is about 285... that is with a 135g blizzard wraith.

lighter is better for many reasons... it goes farther for women/beginners/crusties and it takes less torque and effort to throw which i find to be remarkably nicer on my shoulder. i've always thrown light (150 r pro bosses were my bread and butter until blizzard came out) but even then i was feeling quite a bit of shoulder soreness after tournaments.

from what i've seen most intermediate-advanced women are throwing 150-225 feetish. some longer and some shorter.

just don't get to caught up in distance... as a pro that doesn't throw as far as most gals i play with but still tends to win tournaments, i will tell you straight up... it's more about consistency and the short game.

paige pierce and catrina allen (touring pros) can crush 450 feet easy.

i've seen carie coleman (local pro) throw at least 325.

p.s. buy plastic online... get the weight that you need. very few people out there, especially beginners, should be throwing 175... unless it's your putter.
            Thanks, this is actually the kind of info I was looking for. I think I am on target for distances having only played for about three months... it just seems like my discs are so heavy! I am going to try and disc down a bit and see if that helps.

Get yourself a 150 leopard
            That will become your favorite, it is hers
            Matt, Thanks, I am going to get one!

Your distance is tough to assess. There are so many variables involved: age, strength, stamina, athletic experience, discs you throw and amount you play. You will be the best judge of your improvement by seeing your scores drop, remembering how far you threw last time on that hole and how you feel. Comparing your distance to others is like comparing apples to oranges.

Throw lighter plastic that forces YOU to learn how to throw a disc properly, as opposed to the disc doing the work for you. Lighter weights (you picked up on this) in the 150s are a great place to start as are the types of disc you buy. Look for a Valkyrie, Sidewinder or Leopard. These discs will do what you tell them to do. Blizzard plastic is light, but some of the rims are large, which I don't think is advisable to start with them.

Scour YouTube for tutorials. There is no shortage of videos out there. Also, Innova and DiscCraft have throwing tips on their websites.

Practice and watch your game (and distance) improve. It's not always about the long bomb. It's more about consistency, accuracy and placement...and putting! Putting! Putting!

Check out our monthly Chick Flicks and play with other women. We're fun. I promise.
            Carie CPink, thanks for answering.
            I am 43 and in moderate shape, and have pretty good strength and stamina (and in better shape since starting disc golf). I am not super athletic, but not totally awkward either, so I think I could start to get longer drives but I don't feel like I'll ever get to a pro level. I guess as far as athletes go I am a bit of an OLDSTER! Haha. Really, I would be happy to get up to 150-200 feet once in awhile. I was just curious to know if I was in a decent ball park, I know it is hard to compare yourself to others.

When I am home I play three to four times a week. Right now I am away for three months in Eastern Canada, and there are no courses near here...so I feel like I am getting rusty already! I brought three discs with me to practice with, but except for putting practice, I rarely get to throw the mid-range or driver here. Actually, I have been practicing putting a lot, so hopefully that will improve my short game. Once I get home, I'll be able to get back into the game and I'll start to pay attention to how my game is going with accuracy and consistency.

I would love to do some Chick Flick games...but I am from Ohio! Maybe if I get out your way sometime I will join you all.

In the mean time, I think I will pick up a few lighter weight discs and see what happens.

Comment

in the disc golf world we don't call y'all "oldsters" we call you "crusties"...

and maybe you should think about starting a women's league or something in ohio... PM if you're interested in being a contact for growing and retaining women's involvement in organized women's disc golf events for the Professional Disc Golf Association Women's Committee (i'm the NW representative) and check out DiscGolf4Women.com as well as their facebook page... lots of good info and contacts for you there.

yay disc golf!

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                in the disc golf world we don't call y'all "oldsters" we call you "crusties"...

and maybe you should think about starting a women's league or something in ohio... PM if you're interested in being a contact for growing and retaining women's involvement in organized women's disc golf events for the Professional Disc Golf Association Women's Committee (i'm the NW representative) and check out DiscGolf4Women.com as well as their facebook page... lots of good info and contacts for you there.

yay disc golf!
                Yay Disc Golf! LOL
                Well, when I get back from Canada I'll have to look into women's events in Ohio...not really sure how much is going on there with that. Disc golf is very popular there though!

Out practice throwing today and I got some really good backhand throws going! I threw further than ever before today, one even went about 150ft!!! Now just have to get some lower weight disc and go from there.
                Last edited by NinaD; August 21st, 2012, 06:35 AM. Reason: spelling errors!

Comment

another good disc would be
                  latitude 64s' "diamond light" it is a 150 class disc
                  its part of their new "easy to use" series
                  here is a link http://www.latitude64.se/golf-discs/easy-to-use/
                  my wife likes hers

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                    another good disc would be
                    latitude 64s' "diamond light" it is a 150 class disc
                    its part of their new "easy to use" series
                    here is a link http://www.latitude64.se/golf-discs/easy-to-use/
                    my wife likes hers
                    I really love my Diamond very much. Since my sidearm throws are very weak, I use Diamond for anlyzer throws.
                    PDGA 38506
                    ODDGA 27
                    DDGA 176
                    2012 Beaver State Fling Women ADV Master

Comment

Originally posted by Nichola View Post
                      I really love my Diamond very much. Since my sidearm throws are very weak, I use Diamond for anlyzer throws.
                      Cool, I'll check it out.

Comment

Remember Nina you don't need a course to practice drives, just a open field. I am always going to the field to practice drives, that way when I get the course I can go by what I practiced at the field.
                        PDGA # 31451
                        2 Mini Aces
                        75 Aces
                        PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                        DISC GOLF OR DIE
                        BOB CABAL
                        DISCVANGO
                        JEFF ELLIOT
                        G-MAN
                        JORDAN LEWIS
                        JEFF HAGERTY
                        JAMES GARCELON
                        SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by chris7graham View Post
                          Remember Nina you don't need a course to practice drives, just a open field. I am always going to the field to practice drives, that way when I get the course I can go by what I practiced at the field.
                          Thanks, yes, last week I started practicing at a soccer pitch near here. It is just kind of dull. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by NinaD View Post
                            Thanks, yes, last week I started practicing at a soccer pitch near here. It is just kind of dull. LOL
                            putting and midrange practice is waaaaayyy more important... and more fun... and less likely to throw your arm out.

this year i started a midrange practice routine where i would empty out most of my drivers and replace with doubles/triples of my midrange or fairway drivers... i would go to my nearest local course and after throwing a drive (you know, for funsies), would pick and choose a spot for upshots, throwing 2-3 discs to the basket. i would try to choose a shot that offered 2-3 routes to the basket so that i could have the opportunity to practice a hyzer, anhyzer or straight on approach all from the same spot to the same target.

inadvertently this practice technique proved very effective in an aspect of game in which i was felt that i was fairly weak: believing in and trusting my shot selection during a tournament. i was finding that when in a tournament on an unfamiliar course i was feeling shaky about my shot selection... i wasn't trusting my own judgement or my own discs and therefore was unable to throw with the confidence i needed to properly execute and get to the basket... after starting this midrange practice routine i no longer have this issue during tournaments...

... buuuuut, i still don't really throw my drives all that far...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X