Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not a chick. but a dic OOPs I meant a guy. I throw light driver's. My heavy ones weigh 166gms My light is 136. I really have grown to love the light disc. I am also a finesse driver, not a power thrower. My 136 Boss is one of my fav's, but all my disc have a reason to be in my bag. LOL So to all who think that light disc a only for chicks, take a look and try it for yourselves. and I bet you will change your minds about them.
    sigpic Gives a whole new meaning to the words Pulling you're Pork.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyJ View Post
      I am not a chick. but a dic OOPs I meant a guy. I throw light driver's. My heavy ones weigh 166gms My light is 136. I really have grown to love the light disc. I am also a finesse driver, not a power thrower. My 136 Boss is one of my fav's, but all my disc have a reason to be in my bag. LOL So to all who think that light disc a only for chicks, take a look and try it for yourselves. and I bet you will change your minds about them.
      are you old? 'cause my dad's old and we throw basically the same stuff these days...

i love crusties!!!
      "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
      Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
        The modified Bonopane grip seems to work well for players with shorter fingers to grip the wider rimmed discs. You might be able to see this photo in my Facebook timeline: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater
        Interesting. I must say, I've never seen it, and certainly haven't tried it. I must say, I'd be willing to at least give it a try. I can't see that it would hurt, and if it might help the distance even a little bit...

Comment

OK,
          So I read this thread and tried about 30 throws by my count. 10 with my standard power throw grip (Index/middle below, Thumb on top), 10 with the modified Bonapane, and 10 with the original Bonapane. I threw out in Glenwood field with my 4-favorite drivers 2-Lat64 Bolts, 1-Vision, 1-Halo. I had a tailwind on around 10-15 MPH was my guess. I have always struggled to keep the nose of the disc down, I usually remind my self to keep "Nose down - Head down" as I get ready for my run up on the tee pad. But it never fails at the last minute I pick that nose up enough to cost me distance and I usually land just inside or outside of 350'. After all those throws I realized I was gaining around 60' with the modified Bonapane, and 80' with the original Bonapane on average per throw. I am sold on this grip for an open field all out shot, but I can see how it would be difficult to control the disc flight if you needed a tight line to the pin. Thanks for the Suggestion, this could be a real game changer for me on an all out distance shot!
          PDGA# 49616
          Stumptown# 353
          OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

Once you start using the Bonopane, your accuracy will improve and you'll eventually be comfortable using it on narrower fairways. It's just a matter of practice. I use it on tight fairway drives but didn't regularly use it for a few years other than testing it.

Comment

I also tried the Bonapane yesterday, and I seem to have had almost exactly the opposite experience. I'll have to see whether it was the normal or the modified. It was with the thumb and index finger on top, with the circle. I won't say I gave it a fair trial -- only about a dozen throws. I'd say that my consistency improved (everything was extremely straight), but I can't say that I gained any distance. I'd even say I possibly lost some distance. I won't say it's a bad idea, but I'd say that the jury's still out. I think I'll try it again. BTW, this was with normal rimmed discs, and not wide rimmed.

Comment

First of all, Ladies I'm sorry for typing so much in this strand, please forgive me.

My problem is like many new golfers Female or Male that know what they are doing wrong. I cannot seem to keep the nose down as I throw. I constantly glide too high into the trees, or hyzer out too soon. I went back out into the field last night and threw about 40 more discs from every type of overstable plastic I have stored for the day when I can actually throw it. Specifically I threw about 15 shots with a Blizzard Boss 138g, and Blizzard Destroyer 150g. I threw every last one farther with the modified bonipane (MB). I do not believe it is a better grip, but it does force the nose down, and allow me to give a full pull without fear of picking the nose up. I also threw about 10 with my regular grip and a full pull but I focused on the nose of the disc pointing as far down as the mb made me do. The results seemed very similar to the MB, but I could not be as consistent on distance and torque as the MB gave me. I now have a new problem, my normal discs are severally turning over and I have to figure out what will fly straight with this new grip.
                PDGA# 49616
                Stumptown# 353
                OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

Just use the regular "fan grip finger on rim" when you don't need to throw with full power or are throwing a putter or mid-range disc: http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/dave...grip-tips.html

Comment

So, what I was experimenting with over the weekend was obviously the modified Bonapone. I don't typically have the problem with throwing with nose up (I have lots of other problems, but usually not that one). I'm specifically trying to get more spin. Do you think the modified Bonapone would help with that? As an aside, I also realized that the website said it's not great with heavier discs. I'm currently throwing 170s because my technique is so poor, and my disc flutters horribly if I throw lighter weight. I'm wondering if maybe this grip might help me with a smoother motion, and maybe I can drop the weight a little, which certainly wouldn't hurt.

I'm sure I'll have to experiment with all of this, but I thought maybe someone who'd been working with the modified Bonapone might have some advice.

Comment

getting back on track...

... i got a 135g blizzard wraith this weekend and i looooooove it.

it comes out fast and straight with a little bit of turnover if i want and goes faaaaar. it's my new best friend.

way more predictable than the katana and i can put as much muscle on it as i want.

on a different note, has anyone else noticed inconsistencies in their blizzard plastic? for instance, the 133 katanas that we all first got were beyond understable but i know of at least three people who recently purchased 130ish katanas that appear to be overstable... this doesn't surprise me that the technology is inconsistent but it sure is disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post

on a different note, has anyone else noticed inconsistencies in their blizzard plastic? for instance, the 133 katanas that we all first got were beyond understable but i know of at least three people who recently purchased 130ish katanas that appear to be overstable... this doesn't surprise me that the technology is inconsistent but it sure is disappointing.

Erin and Brea have been talking lately about how overstable their new katanas are v. their original were understable.
                        Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

I bought a couple of Apes in the 130s and they were perhaps the flippiest discs I've ever seen right off the shelf. Totally useless. Tried one from another run and it was still flippier than I expected, but not nearly as bad as the first two.

According to Dave Dunipace (on the Ask Dave thread of the PDGA discussion forum) the Blizzard technology is really tricky and they're going through a lot of experimentation to get it right. Sounds like consistency is just a pipe dream for now....

Comment

Of course, I'm not sure why we should expect what used to be considered rejects, but with a fancy marketing spin, to be more consistent than regular run discs?

Comment

dont worry its not just blizzard plastic, Innova is famous for the inconsistencies of all of their plastics!!!
                              Team HOSER:dancing:
                              Team OLY:cheerleader:
                              Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                                Of course, I'm not sure why we should expect what used to be considered rejects, but with a fancy marketing spin, to be more consistent than regular run discs?
                                ah ha!!! early on in this blizzard love fest i ran across someone with an x-out that looked exactly like my blizzards... we all laughed and joked that innova sure was clever to market their messups as these fancy new life changing high tech bubble infused magical amazing drivers...

... i'm okay with the inconsistencies... hopefully they can fine tune the process 'cause i'm pretty stoked with the extra distance they've given me. they have not, however, replaced my other plastic... simply supplemented...

tyvek... haven't thrown a ton of discraft... but in my small experience i have run across similar inconsistencies... for instance, i always preferred the light blue or pink eclipses to the orange or red because the darker colors were too domey... but, let's not get too far into that ancient squabble that will never end. i believer discraft can coexist peacefully with innova... they have in my bag for about 15 years now...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X