X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter discs for women

I finally got one of my old schoolmates to sign up for 2011 Chick Flick... She asked about which discs should she get as first timer so I suggested DX Leopard, Stingray and XD. I hope I did right. Any suggestions?
    PDGA 38506
    ODDGA 27
    DDGA 176
    2012 Beaver State Fling Women ADV Master

Originally posted by LadyBuzzz View Post
    I finally got one of my old schoolmates to sign up for 2011 Chick Flick... She asked about which discs should she get as first timer so I suggested DX Leopard, Stingray and XD. I hope I did right. Any suggestions?
    Those will work. They will get 2 discs in their player's pack and we'll have someone at the table to help explain the different types/weights to newer players. Getting excited!

Comment

very good suggestions.

as she gets more confidence i would suggest also a 150 valkyrie and i do believe every gal should have 150 champ sidewinder in her bag.
      "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
      Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I have found that 150gram Innova dragons fly really good for new plays with limited skills.

Comment

Thank for some suggestions, and I don't mean to be biased more toward to Innova than other disc companies like Discraft, DGA or others. Any good other discs for newcomers than beside Innova?

I used to throw Buzzz a lot until I got hooked on Star XD which I got from Chick Flick couple years ago as you may notice my forum name....
          PDGA 38506
          ODDGA 27
          DDGA 176
          2012 Beaver State Fling Women ADV Master

Comment

Thank for some suggestions, and I don't mean to be biased more toward to Innova than other disc companies like Discraft, DGA or others. Any good other discs for newcomers than beside Innova?

I used to throw Buzzz a lot until I got hooked on Star XD which I got from Chick Flick couple years ago as you may notice my forum name....
            you know i love my eclipses!!! great beginner disc made by discraft... and i still carry 2 or 3 in my bag at all times...

Comment

There isn't a better beginner disc for men or women than the Pro Leopard. Will fly straight with minimal fade for anyone throwing 150-350 feet.

Get a lighter one if you have to. Add a midrange of choice and a putter and that's a great starter bag.

Comment

I was looking for the "whats in your bag ladies" thread when I found this one

just wanted to see what you ladies think about what discs my wife is now using

putts:
                dx 102 polecat
                dx 146 aviar p&a
                mids:
                dx 148 shark
                dx 147 stingray (just got this on wed.)
                drives:
                dx 146 leopard
                pro-d 146 stratus (just got this on wed.)
                dx 136 sidewinder (just got this on wed.)

we also have a 137 blizzard krait and a 148 CH mamba
                that she will end up with, (but I think they are too high of speed for her, right now)

any other recommendations?

thanks, matt (for allison)

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                  I was looking for the "whats in your bag ladies" thread when I found this one

just wanted to see what you ladies think about what discs my wife is now using

putts:
                  dx 102 polecat
                  dx 146 aviar p&a
                  mids:
                  dx 148 shark
                  dx 147 stingray (just got this on wed.)
                  drives:
                  dx 146 leopard
                  pro-d 146 stratus (just got this on wed.)
                  dx 136 sidewinder (just got this on wed.)

we also have a 137 blizzard krait and a 148 CH mamba
                  that she will end up with, (but I think they are too high of speed for her, right now)

any other recommendations?

thanks, matt (for allison)
                  i like the aviar, stingray, leopard and sidewinder. i would ditch the polecat. shark/stratus... i just don't know much about so i wouldn't recommend them.

the mamba will be good for her... if she's throwing a sidewinder successfully, there's no reason she couldn't throw a mamba, i would think. i would get her a 150 star valkyrie. and instead of the shark maybe an xd... i truly think the xd is one of the most underrated discs out there.

also, for the midranges it might be a good idea to bump her up in the weights. i throw very light (especially for a pro) for my drivers but my putters and midranges are in the 165-175 range. they don't have to go as far so they can be heavier. this will help her get used to throwing heavier plastic, give her more control and help that putter stay in the chains.

any other questions come find me at lunch/player's party at the showdown.

emma

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                    shark/stratus... i just don't know much about so i wouldn't recommend them.
                    I love my Stratus; it turns over easier than anything else in my bag, and I probably used it for 1/3 of my shots the last time I played Stub Stewart. But it's probably redundant with the Stingray.

One overall suggestion I'd make is to NOT use 150-class midranges. They can get tossed around by the wind really easily, and with slower discs you don't gain much of a distance advantage by dropping the weight. (150g drivers are fun though.)
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                      I love my Stratus; it turns over easier than anything else in my bag, and I probably used it for 1/3 of my shots the last time I played Stub Stewart. But it's probably redundant with the Stingray.

One overall suggestion I'd make is to NOT use 150-class midranges. They can get tossed around by the wind really easily, and with slower discs you don't gain much of a distance advantage by dropping the weight. (150g drivers are fun though.)
                      actually, I bought the stratus for me, but the lip is very small on it and doesnt fit in my hand very well
                      the plan is for her to throw both the stingray and the stratus and she which she likes best

and I had planned on going up in weights a little as our throwing improves

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                        i like the aviar, stingray, leopard and sidewinder. i would ditch the polecat. shark/stratus... i just don't know much about so i wouldn't recommend them.

the mamba will be good for her... if she's throwing a sidewinder successfully, there's no reason she couldn't throw a mamba, i would think. i would get her a 150 star valkyrie. and instead of the shark maybe an xd... i truly think the xd is one of the most underrated discs out there.

also, for the midranges it might be a good idea to bump her up in the weights. i throw very light (especially for a pro) for my drivers but my putters and midranges are in the 165-175 range. they don't have to go as far so they can be heavier. this will help her get used to throwing heavier plastic, give her more control and help that putter stay in the chains.

any other questions come find me at lunch/player's party at the showdown.

emma
                        I am very anxious to see if that light little sidewinder will work for her

Comment

This looks like what we were trying to get for me when I started. Fortunately, we weren't able to find too much in super light weights. I later found out that it was just the wrong thing for me. I thought that since I wasn't getting distance, it obviously meant my discs were too heavy. It might be true, but it's a bad general assumption.

In a putting clinic, I asked about uses for lightweight putter, and the instructor didn't think much of them either. About the only use he could think of for a lightweight putter is for times when you should probably be using a mid. So, I'd ditch the light putters.

As far as light drivers -- does she have good technique? I've learned that lighter discs are less tolerant to poor technique. I have terrible technique, and the 150's did absolutely nothing for me. Any extra advantage I got from the lighter weight, I lost because I got terrible flutter. Until I'm able to improve my technique, I need to be throwing heavier discs so that I don't get the flutter. As I improve my technique, then I'll be able to handle the lighter discs, and increase my distance (hopefully). Obviously, I don't know if your wife has similar problems, but it isn't necessarily a wonderful idea to get really light discs if she can't handle them. It can cause extreme frustration trying to make them fly correctly (believe me - I know!).

Comment

Originally posted by ptld2001 View Post
                            This looks like what we were trying to get for me when I started. Fortunately, we weren't able to find too much in super light weights. I later found out that it was just the wrong thing for me. I thought that since I wasn't getting distance, it obviously meant my discs were too heavy. It might be true, but it's a bad general assumption.

In a putting clinic, I asked about uses for lightweight putter, and the instructor didn't think much of them either. About the only use he could think of for a lightweight putter is for times when you should probably be using a mid. So, I'd ditch the light putters.

As far as light drivers -- does she have good technique? I've learned that lighter discs are less tolerant to poor technique. I have terrible technique, and the 150's did absolutely nothing for me. Any extra advantage I got from the lighter weight, I lost because I got terrible flutter. Until I'm able to improve my technique, I need to be throwing heavier discs so that I don't get the flutter. As I improve my technique, then I'll be able to handle the lighter discs, and increase my distance (hopefully). Obviously, I don't know if your wife has similar problems, but it isn't necessarily a wonderful idea to get really light discs if she can't handle them. It can cause extreme frustration trying to make them fly correctly (believe me - I know!).
                            in short, she has almost no technique http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9319
                            we are both just beginning

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                              in short, she has almost no technique http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9319
                              we are both just beginning
                              When she throws, does the disc flutter, or does it fly cleanly? The flutter is caused by off-axis-torque, which is exacerbated by light discs. If she has that problem, then you obviously would like to get rid of it over the long run. Throwing light discs will demonstrate whether you're doing it right or wrong. However, it can become extremely frustrating to keep seeing that you're doing it wrong. So, it might be better to try heavier discs, while still working on improving technique to the point that lighter discs will fly correctly.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X