Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can we improve the Western WA womens disc golf community?

I am starting this thread partially because of recent frustration but also because of my experience in the past year. I can't figure out if it's just the cliquey Seattle way of doing things or if something else is going on and we need to reach out.

I've started to play in tournaments but am finding it difficult due to some logistical issues as well as certain ladies divisions not having enough registered in order to have trophies or payouts. When there are not enough in a division I have also been made to play in the mens division for non sanctioned tournaments or have had to play my rounds with 12yr old boys or the mens beginners.

What can we do to get more ladies to play?
    Or... What can we do to make sure that the women players that do sign up for tournament don't feel like they are put in a weird position for choosing to show up and play? Why should they be penalized for getting out there?

When it comes down to it I am going to play. I've signed up for several OR events because they have a lot of ladies playing. I am still signed up for WA tournaments but everytime I end up worried about not enough ladies registering, being contacted by TDs that tell me I can Play but won't receive payouts or trophies, or told that I have to play in a different division. I've also been contacted and offered a refund. That's no fun. It makes me feel like they dont really care if women play or not. I want to just be able to sign up and play without having to wonder all the time.

That sucks but I would say just keep playing. I see more women playing now than when I started so it's definitely growing.. I would think that the B and A tier events would fill the various divisions. I have never won or even came close so payouts and trophies don't really concern me. I would think even if you show up by yourself they would have to accommodate your division. I say that because when I look at the women who played in the same tourney as I did I see like 1 name in a division and 3 in another. I might as well be playing alone anyway because I play to beat my personal best and try to improve my rating. As for the non sanctioned events they should not stick you with the Jr's that is bullshit.
    www.rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by CMC206 View Post
      That sucks but I would say just keep playing. I see more women playing now than when I started so it's definitely growing.. I would think that the B and A tier events would fill the various divisions. I have never won or even came close so payouts and trophies don't really concern me. I would think even if you show up by yourself they would have to accommodate your division. I say that because when I look at the women who played in the same tourney as I did I see like 1 name in a division and 3 in another. I might as well be playing alone anyway because I play to beat my personal best and try to improve my rating. As for the non sanctioned events they should not stick you with the Jr's that is bullshit.
      Thanks,

I am totally gonna keep playing! I play for my personal best as well. I play Advaced Ams and most likely wont get anywhere near beating the other ladies in my division for awhile (; I'm not as concerned with payouts as I am with getting more ladies to play and making them feel welcome.

It has taken over a year to break into the disc golf community here.

Now that I've finally broken in it's pretty awesome.

Comment

I have been playing here on and off for 20 years. There are a lot of cool people but there is also a lot of DBags for some reason... Just saying..
        www.rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by CMC206 View Post
          I have been playing here on and off for 20 years. There are a lot of cool people but there is also a lot of DBags for some reason... Just saying..
          I hear you, definitely a lot of cool people out there. A lot of awesome ladies too!

What can I do to make it more of a community feel?

Comment

I would suggest talking to Cindy McMahan, Celeste Scandiffio and the other "Chick Flick" ladies. They've done an amazing job of bringing more women into the game.

Perhaps we need a Washington "Chick Flick" contingent.
            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
              I would suggest talking to Cindy McMahan, Celeste Scandiffio and the other "Chick Flick" ladies. They've done an amazing job of bringing more women into the game.

Perhaps we need a Washington "Chick Flick" contingent.
              Funny you should mention... I have talked a little to Cindy! And I completely agree that we need a Seattle "Chick Flick" group.

...maybe I just volunteered to get a group going (:

Comment

FWIW, most of the ladies I see playing are casual/recreational players, so they probably a) haven't given much thought to tournament play and b) don't spend a lot of time on the internet reading about disc golf. I'd imagine the best way to reach most of the disc golfing women out there would be to post up flyers at the courses and Chainbangerz/Mando's.
                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I agree that a Chick Flick monthly gatherings are the way to go. I don't know the numbers, but I've got a feeling that a large number of Oregon's tournment gals started out playing monthlly CFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanya Spence View Post
                    I am starting this thread partially because of recent frustration but also because of my experience in the past year. I can't figure out if it's just the cliquey Seattle way of doing things or if something else is going on and we need to reach out.

I've started to play in tournaments but am finding it difficult due to some logistical issues as well as certain ladies divisions not having enough registered in order to have trophies or payouts. When there are not enough in a division I have also been made to play in the mens division for non sanctioned tournaments or have had to play my rounds with 12yr old boys or the mens beginners.

What can we do to get more ladies to play?
                    Or... What can we do to make sure that the women players that do sign up for tournament don't feel like they are put in a weird position for choosing to show up and play? Why should they be penalized for getting out there?

When it comes down to it I am going to play. I've signed up for several OR events because they have a lot of ladies playing. I am still signed up for WA tournaments but every time I end up worried about not enough ladies registering, being contacted by TDs that tell me I can Play but won't receive payouts or trophies, or told that I have to play in a different division. I've also been contacted and offered a refund. That's no fun. It makes me feel like they don’t really care if women play or not. I want to just be able to sign up and play without having to wonder all the time.
                    That is so unfortunate. Even if just one or two women sign up they should be welcomed with open arms, and allowed to play in their own division. I realize that with small numbers they would have to combine cards, but women should not be forced to compete with men. Also even with one or two they should always get a payout. I mean they paid into the tournament just like the guys right. If women are feeling like they are not welcome they probably won't come back.

Scott is right a lot of the women now playing tournaments in our area started out playing the Chick Flick monthlies, and also their first tournament was the Chick Flick two day event in August. Like me my first disc golf group thing that I attended was one of the monthlies, and later that year my first tournament was the very first Chick Flick tournament in 2008.

The monthlies are super easy low key just the ladies getting together to throw a few rounds together. To make it even easier this year we picked the 3rd Sunday of every month that way everyone knows when the monthly will be, and then we just pick a different course every month. Facebook, the disc golf scene, and this site are excellent ways to get the word out. Also one thing we do for our two day event is we make up business cards to carry in our bags to hand out to any ladies we see on the course. You guys up there could so that for monthlies. Also posting flyers are a good way to get the word out too. It would be awesome to see more ladies up north playing in tournaments.

It really also comes down to someone, or maybe a few someones who are willing to put in the time to beat the bushes. It's a lot of work, but it is worth it to see all the ladies out there playing in the events.

Cindy
                    Last edited by LegoRules; May 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM.
                    Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                    2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                    Stumptown #176
                    PDGA #37716

Comment

Sponsoring ladies

One of the things that we are doing for our tournament is trying to get some ladies and juniors sponsored by places or people so that there can be more of them willing to come out that normally would not have played in the tournament already. Also I would like to see the weekly leagues have the women play for free until they start cashing in the weeklies. That would bring alot of people out that don't have the money to donate to a weekly league just to go play.

Thanks,
                      Josh
                      Huk For Independence

Comment

One thing we did when we first started the monthly Chick Flicks was to invite the guys out to play on their own while their ladies played a round together. I think this made some of the ladies more comfortable with coming out to play with people they hadn't met.
                        The business cards have been a really convenient way to spread the word when we just run into women at the course. No searching for a pen and paper and hoping you remember the facebook group name correctly.
                        I played a tournament in Seattle last summer and had a blast with the ladies in my division, but there were only 3 of us. It has been really exciting to see women's golf grow in Oregon and wish you the best in growing up North. Cindy and I are totally available to help you out any way we can.

Comment

Ladies Nights

Originally posted by Celeste View Post
                          One thing we did when we first started the monthly Chick Flicks was to invite the guys out to play on their own while their ladies played a round together. I think this made some of the ladies more comfortable with coming out to play with people they hadn't met.
                          The business cards have been a really convenient way to spread the word when we just run into women at the course. No searching for a pen and paper and hoping you remember the facebook group name correctly.
                          I played a tournament in Seattle last summer and had a blast with the ladies in my division, but there were only 3 of us. It has been really exciting to see women's golf grow in Oregon and wish you the best in growing up North. Cindy and I are totally available to help you out any way we can.
                          We had a great deal of success with Ladies Nights in Spokane several years back. Jaymie and I were pretty solid about advetising and showing up every Tuesday evening at HighBridge to welcome new gals who wanted to play...or who's boyfriends wanted them to play better but didn't have the patience to coach them. (Sorry...just sayin)

We had a blast! Lot's of different ladies showed up after they realized how encouraging we were and how much they could improve with a little guidance.

We spread the word with flyers and word of mouth when ever we'd see gals on the course.

It takes a few dedicated individuals to make a committment but it's worth it.

Bout time to do it again in Spokane and give some of those ladies a chance to "give back" to new gals!!!

Comment

tanya,

good job taking the reins on this girl! here's what i think... keep on keepin' on what you are doing playing in all these events... be the good example and shining star for other gals in your area. don't let "the man" get you down (hahaha!!! damn the man!!!). it's a simple reality that there are just less women involved in sports as a general rule than men... except for women's volleyball, of course... if you are inspired to run a chick flick style regular get together for gals... do it! and yes, do involve the boys in that, too... i think that is very key to focus on the fact that we want more gals to play... but we certainly aren't down with excluding the dudes anymore than we're down with being excluded...

... and then here's a message to the TD's... make a place for the womenfolk... if one woman shows up, for heaven's sake that's a division!!! use your discretion as it should be used! go the extra mile to save spots for women, actively recruit women to your events... if you've got one gal signed up, get in touch with her and ask if she has any ideas for how to get more women into your event... let her know you are genuinely happy that she is there... i have been so impressed and appreciative of the TD's in the events that i have played and how they truly want and enjoy the presence of the ladies...

... yes, i understand i'm asking for what is essentially "special treatment"... but that's maybe what the girls need to get over feeling intimidated by tournaments or to feel intrigued enough to want to play... hopefully in 5 years or so we won't need this kind of hand holding, but for now... c'mon boys, suck it up and treat us as special as we are... you know you love it...
                            Last edited by emmarose; May 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM.
                            "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                            Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Thanks for all of the input. This is really helpful. I got talking with a couple of local women that I see around often and we've got an email list started

I'm glad to report that we will be starting first (and eventually 2nd and 3rd depending on interest) Thursdays ladies rounds. Were planning on our first to be June.

Now all I need is a super cute name...

...Huzzah!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X