X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should i buy for my daughter

My daughter is 11 years old and 80 pounds soaking wet. She came down to Whistlers with my wife on Saturday. When we were on our way home Sunday she told me that it sounded like fun to play in tournaments and compete. She has played a little and i've got a couple discs that are pretty light like a 135 panther from the EDGE program but I wanted to get her some putters, mids and some more drivers for her to try out.

So ladies in all your wisdom and experience what would you suggest for me to buy for her?

Wow i'm so excited and looking forward to spending time with her out on the course.

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Jason

valkyries... as light as possible... don't know what to tell you about midrange now that they changed the xd... ummm... discraft eclipse is super super easy to control... light leopard, sidewinder... keep it simple and keep it light... let her figure out her putter herself... me, i love my aviars... see if she likes 'em in like a 160ish and then in a couple years have her move up... just a little advice to work with... just provide her with the opportunity and freedom to figure out her own game as it will be very different from yours and any other dude...

peace threw disc golf,
    emmarose

p.s. nothing has brought my dad and i closer together than disc golf... he truly has become my best friend since i started playing the game seriously and it is something that i am touched by and grateful for every day of my life... i am so happy for you and your daughter...
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by Phatjay View Post
      My daughter is 11 years old and 80 pounds soaking wet. She came down to Whistlers with my wife on Saturday. When we were on our way home Sunday she told me that it sounded like fun to play in tournaments and compete. She has played a little and i've got a couple discs that are pretty light like a 135 panther from the EDGE program but I wanted to get her some putters, mids and some more drivers for her to try out.

So ladies in all your wisdom and experience what would you suggest for me to buy for her?

Wow i'm so excited and looking forward to spending time with her out on the course.

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Jason
      I am no expert, but a lightweight Valkyrie I think is a good choice for a first driver. Gazelle's or leopards are also good first drivers. Stingray's are good mid's to start with. Heck after almost three years playing now I still have that stingray in my bag. As far as putters go I putt with an xd, but a lot of people putt with aviars.

Also keep in mind there is an all women's event August 7th & 8th at Horning's Hideout. We will have clinics & a causual round the first day, and two PDGA sactioned rounds the 2nd day. We are offering all jr. & youth divisons as well as a recreational divsion. All of the jrs., and recreational divsions will play the rounds on Sunday on the shorter Highland course.

Check out our thread on this forum for more information:

http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3705

Cindy
      Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
      2013 Chick Flick co-TD
      Stumptown #176
      PDGA #37716

Comment

Stingray! a great first disc.
        Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

Originally posted by runnaman View Post
          Stingray! a great first disc.
          Or Stratus, if you want to try Discraft.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Id look into a 90 gram buzz lite. I've got one for my 5 year old, and its really easy to throw and a lot of fun!
            A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

my daughter is almost 12, and doesnt play unless she is visiting me. I just give her some of mine to throw, which are mostly 172-175. she does good with them. of course she isnt 80 lbs soaking wet, she is nearly as big as I am. last summer she went to the doc and was 5' 4" 120 lbs. she is bigger now. those lightweight discs arent enough for her, lol
              All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

For the lightweights, 150 class Stingrays for sure. Light Valks with serious road rashes. Might even be able to find a beat up 140s Wraith that a kid could glide. The tough thing might be convincing the kid that they don't really want that pretty brand new Champion Whatchamacallit with the swirls and sparkles. Just find what they can glide and be ready for them to move onward and upward once they're doing that. Nothing will teach them faster than a little success. There was a 9 or 10 year old here a few weeks ago that really amazed me.
                Last edited by Ol' Bob; April 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

My 11 yr old daughter LOVES her 160ish Lightning #2 driver! She recently bought a Coyote and is really throwing it well too.
                  Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

I got my daughter throwing max weight, preparing her for the future, hahaha
                    All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

I'd keep her away from the drivers for now. They will be harder to control, and she won't see any increase in distance until she really develops a snap. Stick with lightweight mids.

Comment

Teach her young the importance of playing catch with a putter. The putter will teach you how to throw a disc properly, they go where you throw them.

A crucial skill is the flat flip fly straight, it's most easily learned with a putter
                        Disc golf by day, Joe rogan podcast by night! All day!

Comment

My daughter has had the best luck with distance and control with the 150g Stingrays. Oh, and the DX one has always treated her better than the Champion. She also throws 150g Sidewinders for sidearm tosses but not with the distance of the Stingrays.

Comment

Originally posted by rainydaysteve View Post
                            My daughter has had the best luck with distance and control with the 150g Stingrays. Oh, and the DX one has always treated her better than the Champion. She also throws 150g Sidewinders for sidearm tosses but not with the distance of the Stingrays.
                            And where might someone find discs such as the ones you speak of?

Bob

Comment

my 4 year old son loves his 130g dx cobra, he's hitting the 100 foot mark with it consistently now... I try getting him disc or two every few months so he has various discs to play with and see what he likes. 150g dragon, 150 stingray etc...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X