X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies.. What got you started?

Hey gals.. I am going to put in the first topic.. of course it's "general" but I am curious what got you started in disc golfing?

I'll start off -- I was introduced to disc golfing while I was a student teacher at Sidwell Friends Middle School back in 2001. Ever since that day - I've been in love with it. I always have fun with the students playing disc golf. It was harder for me to "pick" it up on my own - so it went on a short sabitical of 6 years....
    Last October (2008), I saw someone at a Deaf Expo in Seattle who was "trotting around" with his disc golf bag on his back - Whoa! huh????!!! I had to stop him and find out what it was all about. That moment - I signed up and joined - hence "renewal" into disc golf! Been playing like crazy since then - ask my friends.. I have a "trunk load" of discs! I am still re-learning and loving every bit of it!

Got go huck some disc! Keeping it on the fairway!
    Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
    DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

I'm going to assume it was just a great way to meet dudes.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I had a work picnic at Champoeg and one of the guys at my work played golf. We played a round at the picnic and I have been hooked ever since. Just about a month after that I moved to Corvallis to finish school. I was only 5 minutes from Willamette and my crazy school schedule let me go play almost every day. I started meeting some of the locals and they talked me into playing Festivus that year. I'd only been playing a few months and I'm sure I shot at least 100 each round. But, there were some awesome chicks there who encouraged me and also a few new players.

Comment

It all started when I first met my man in 2000. He and his buddies used to play disc golf at Milo McIver. I went along with them, and played with them. I really liked it very much. But at that time, I was going thru my personal stuff, and I never got chance to play it again. Until about 3 years ago, when my man started to play more often then I got jealous of him. So that is how I got back to play disc golf again, and I started to learn how to play better, then I discovered that there is Oregon Deaf Disc Golf Assoc. and I joined the club. I have been playing disc golf ever since, and I sure really wished that I discovered disc golf long time ago!
        PDGA 38506
        ODDGA 27
        DDGA 176
        2012 Beaver State Fling Women ADV Master

Comment

The park by my home installed these weird metal thingies and new paths that didn't go anywhere. I walked up a path and I saw a man throw a Frisbee over a small hill next to where I had just come from. I didn't see anyone next to the path so intrigued I followed him to see if someone was there to catching his Frisbee. No one was there so I stopped the man to ask why he threw a Frisbee without a person to catch it. The man explained all about disc golf and what I would need to get started.
          "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

A couple of summers ago we were meeting a group to camp a Indian Mary camp ground near Grants Pass. We notice when checking out the campground online they had a disc golf course, and we tought wow that sounds like fun. We googled disc golf on the internet and found the Disc golf depot, so we went and checked it out. While there we learned about an event that was coming up called World's Biggest, so that was our first event we attended. For the next year we were pretty causual golfers. Then I started attending the monthly chickflicks, and last years chickflick tournament was my first tournament. Then my second tournament was the Willamette Open. Now I am pretty much obsessed with disc golf playing 3 to 4 times a week.

Cindy.
            Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
            2013 Chick Flick co-TD
            Stumptown #176
            PDGA #37716

Comment

My man and I were bored one Memorial Day Weekend in 2003 and we were looking for some new outdoorsy activities. We Googled frisbee golf and discovered Lunchtime. Pinkal and I went out there with our ultimate lids and hucked a few holes. Some nice regulars pointed out that there were legit disc golf discs that were easier to throw. Six years later and we're still hucking.

On most days, I love the game. Then there are the days when most loggers, sailors and truckers blush at my loquacious and colorful language as my discs hurl into trees, the ground or hyzer out.

However, what I love most about disc golf is Team Disc Golf. It gets us out of the house during the winter months and we have the most amazing group of teammates (Go Putt THIS!) and the community spirit of this group of people is second to none. Team Disc Golf keeps me in this sport. Thank you all who make it possible!

Oh, The Chick Flick rocks, too! Best tourney experience ever last year.

Comment

Wow.. from the looks of it.. it seems that we were all exposed at one time or another and just got pulled into the sport. Whoo! It just happens I guess.. now, it is time to put a disc in (excuse me -- I've got to correct myself -- I had originally meant to say young gal's, but then I thought to myself - Just as C.Leslie would say ->) any gal's hand and let her "fly" with it!
                Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

It's entirely my husband's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by motherhucker View Post
                    "yeah, *your screen name*" to your husband, good job SIR!

Comment

Originally posted by motherhucker View Post
                      Why retype what she said so well.

I have been playing even more this year since my 8 year old really loves to play as well.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X