X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discs for beginners?

I'm trying to figure out what I should be throwing, as a ground zero beginner. I'm very short (5'2"), and at least used to be 100 lbs dripping wet. I now weigh much more than that, but it's not muscle, so it's actually a detriment. I'm currently throwing my husband's 150 Dragon. I've been looking online for children's discs, and haven't found anything local. I'm thinking that maybe I should be throwing more like a 100 or something like that. They have seen some unweighted kids' discs (if I recall, the roc and the polecat), but I haven't found anywhere that gives the weight. The problem I'm trying to solve is that I currently get no distance. I'd say my average drive is about 30 ft. Do you think a lighter disc would help me with my distance? I tried Next Adventure, and they have some 139 putters, but I doubt that would help me any with my driving. I thought I'd try to get some advice before I order a children's disc blindly online.

Comment

There are lots of lighter disks then 150 (and for your referance all dragons are 150 and float), my son has a full bag and I have tried to throw quite a few of them and found them too light for me.

His lightest is a 119 Roc he got it in Portland from Disc Golf Depot, he also has some discs in the 130s and 140s, those are all either Innova or Lightning, he does have a really light Buzz but it was just a special run.

Do you only have a Dragon? Any midrange or putters?

Let me see if I can find you any links.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Thing View Post
        There are lots of lighter disks then 150 (and for your referance all dragons are 150 and float), my son has a full bag and I have tried to throw quite a few of them and found them too light for me.

His lightest is a 119 Roc he got it in Portland from Disc Golf Depot, he also has some discs in the 130s and 140s, those are all either Innova or Lightning, he does have a really light Buzz but it was just a special run.

Do you only have a Dragon? Any midrange or putters?

Let me see if I can find you any links.
        Well, the dragon isn't even, strictly speaking, mine. It's my husbands, and I've temporarily appropriated it. I'm trying to figure out what I can throw farther than 30ft before I buy anything. I wish there were some way to try before you buy... So, how would you know if a disc is too light or too heavy? I'm assuming that if you can't make it go, that probably means it's too light. As of yet, I've found no need for midrange or putters. Since I don't throw over about 30 ft, then everything is, by definition, a putter.

Comment

Ok here are some

Drivers
          Cobra starts at 124, I would suggest around the 136 (that is the weight that my son started throwing when he was 6) http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...oduct.php?p=50

Roc starts at 119, I would think about the 145, you can go lighter but as soon as you get your throw down it will be way too light for you. http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...oduct.php?p=26

Archangel at 148 http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...oduct.php?p=20

Gazelle at 146
          http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...?p=55&PPQT1=29

Midrange
          Shark at 134 and up, it is a midrange disc so it should be a little heavier, maybe 146 http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...?p=30&PPQT1=19

Kite starts at 150, my first mid range disc and I still really like it, in fact my son picked one up last time we shopped and really likes it too, lots of float http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_d...p=170&PPQT1=19

Zippyboy also has some ligher weight discs for sale. He picks them up from Disc Golf Depot for people that live up in our area. I can check and see what he has tonight.

Comment

You will find that you will want a midrange and a putter to help control your close shots. Even if you can't make it go very far you can really help your game if you can control them.

How close are you to Leverich park? We are going to be out there tonight playing and both my son and I have discs in our bags. That is a good way to try them out .

Also the chick flick, think of all those light disc that people will have that you can try.

Comment

I have decided to arrange my discs for the fitting in the suitcase along with my Fade Gear bag to use at 9th NDDGC in Springfield,IL on July 9th-11th....yay, only two weeks to go from today...

In my bag:
              Distance Drivers:
              165g ESP Avenger
              168g ESP AvengerSS
              166g ESP XL
              167g CFR Champ Tee bird for sidearm throws
              166 ESP Stratus for Rollers
              Mid Range Drivers:
              ??? Pro-D Wasp
              168g ESP Buzzz
              Putts and Approaches:
              168g ESP Zone
              173-174 Pro-D Challanger

Yeah, 99% of Discraft and only 1% of Innova
              PDGA 38506
              ODDGA 27
              DDGA 176
              2012 Beaver State Fling Women ADV Master

Comment

Originally posted by LadyBuzzz View Post
                Yeah, 99% of Discraft and only 1% of Innova
                Back to math class for you! That's ~11% Innova and ~89% Discraft.

And what's so bad about Innova?*

* Never mind, that was a rhertorical question. That topic has caused countless threads to drift in the past and doesn't need to be rehashed here.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Back to math class for you! That's ~11% Innova and ~89% Discraft.

And what's so bad about Innova?*

* Never mind, that was a rhertorical question. That topic has caused countless threads to drift in the past and doesn't need to be rehashed here.
                  of course, I am still terrible at the math. Anyway, I know what you mean about thread drift into the debate which one is best as I rather not go there as I just want to focus on those discs for this tournament only...
                  PDGA 38506
                  ODDGA 27
                  DDGA 176

Comment

Going to be buying my wife a few discs before the Chick Flick. Should I go lighter or just less stable?

Comment

Originally posted by blu666z View Post
                      Going to be buying my wife a few discs before the Chick Flick. Should I go lighter or just less stable?
                      Why not both?

As a general rule, lighter is almost always better for the smaller arms.

Comment

of course, I am still terrible at the math. Anyway, I know what you mean about thread drift into the debate which one is best as I rather not go there as I just want to focus on those discs for this tournament only...

We will have to work on converting you Nichola

Cindy
                        Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                        2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                        Stumptown #176
                        PDGA #37716

Comment

I'm trying! I've been trying to slowly convert Nichola back to Innova.. but then again.. she's working against that by converting me slowly towards Discraft! Ahh - what the F*** Why not Gateway, Innova, Discraft, and DGA! (I know there are more out there, but at least those are what I do carry around with me..)
                          Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                          DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
                            We will have to work on converting you Nichola

Cindy
                            Ahh, Cindy is at risk of thread drifting by trying to pull me into the debate..nice try. I do have Innova plastics but I am putting them on hold until after the tournament as I am gotten used to Discraft for now.
                            PDGA 38506
                            ODDGA 27
                            DDGA 176

Comment

Ahh, Cindy is at risk of thread drifting by trying to pull me into the debate..nice try. I do have Innova plastics but I am putting them on hold until after the tournament as I am gotten used to Discraft for now.

You should bring out all of your Innova just before the Calaplooia

Cindy
                              Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                              2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                              Stumptown #176
                              PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
                                Dang Nate you are too damm fast I was just working on starting this tread. Anyway here is what is in my bag.

Star Valkyrie 162g - main go to driver
                                Star Valkyrie 162g - back-up
                                Champion Valkyrie 168g - driver
                                Champion Sidewinder 162g - hyzers, anhyzer, rollers
                                Champion Orc 164g - wind hyzer
                                Champion Firebird 157g - Have not quite figured out where to use this yet. Mostly use it for forehand drives on windy days.
                                Champion Roadrunner - 162 Another disc I have not quite figured out where to use.
                                Dx Teebird 158g - fairway driver
                                Star Cro 169g - midrange approach
                                R-Pro Dart 175g - go for it distance putts, jump putts
                                ProLine Pig 175g - hyzer putt approach/flick putt approach
                                DX XD 175g - putting

Cindy

My bag has changed a bit:

Drivers

Star Teebird 152
                                Champion Teebird 168
                                Champion Sidewinder 161
                                Champion Roadrunner 162
                                Star TL 162 X 2
                                Star Valkyrie 162
                                R-Pro Katana 157 X 2
                                R-Pro Boss 160