Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I understand as "hangs outside the tray from one of the nubs." I would not consider our first example as hanging on a nub.

Tried to upload a picture, but it didn't work. Picture is two posts below.
    Last edited by mowens404; June 29th, 2012, 11:30 AM. Reason: error
    Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
      As I pointed out, a disc landing on the target or the playing surface is handled a little differently from a disc landing anywhere else above or below the playing surface. Essentially, a disc lying above or below the playing surface is never "at rest." However, once the player arrives at the disc, its position gets marked on the playing surface even if the disc is moving around. So, it doesn't matter if the group wants to call a player's disc above 2m "at rest" for a penalty right after the player throws it. The player has the right to get to their disc before the final position of the disc is pinned down. That means the disc may fall down before the player gets there and it's played at that point. Of course, it could fall out of the tree and roll OB and that would be where it ends up. So if your disc is in a tree, there's no 2m penalty and there's OB nearby, you might want to hurry to your disc to mark it just in case it might fall out of the tree before you get there.
      Thanks!
      'Weekend 4 Women':
      Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
      Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
        Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

I don't understand why that is not in... It went above the plain of the basket, under the top ring of chains. If it were not wobbling would it be considered in? During team golf this winter we lost a match by 1 stroke because a putt that landed like this was counted in. And I agreed with the ruling.
          The disc "officially" stopped - balanced on the rail - based on how the rules are interpreted. It later fell in after its position was already fixed as the point under the rail on the ground. A disc balancing on the rail is not in since the disc is not supported by the bottom or inside of the basket per 803.13B.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
            The disc "officially" stopped - balanced on the rail - based on how the rules are interpreted. It later fell in after its position was already fixed as the point under the rail on the ground. A disc balancing on the rail is not in since the disc is not supported by the bottom or inside of the basket per 803.13B.
            The question is still, where does the inside of the basket end? is there a horizontal line that extends from the top of the rail or the nubs, or a vertical line that can be breached by a disc resting on that line? I understand a disc that is hanging on the outside of the basket, but in this instance it is hanging mostly inside the basket

Comment

It doesn't matter. Even if we say the balancing disc is partly supported by the inside of the basket, it's also supported by the "top" and the "outside" of the basket which are locations that technically cannot be part of the support for a disc that has holed out, at least the way the rule is stated. The balancing disc is not much different than a disc wedged halfway in the side of the basket which does not count as in.

Comment

You can't really compare a "wedged" disc to the "balancing" disc.

The wedged disc was never in the basket and was a poor putt.

A balancing disc was in the basket (most likely) and the chains failed at keeping the disc in, for whatever reason. Yes, it was probably true that the putt was not perfectly executed and should not count. The point is that the disc is being supported by the top of the tray not the inside wall.

Per the rules, a balancing disc is no good. Mark your correct lie and be glad the bad putt didn't roll outside the 10m circle for a harder putt to hole out.

Rule as it reads: 803.13(B) Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray.

Not that I agree with the rule, but it is needed to clearly define the proper way to hole out for official scoring. IMHO, for recreational play, a disc supported above the bottom of the tray should count as in. Yes, that would include a fair amount of "bad" putts (drot, wedgies, disc hanging outside on nub, etc.)

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X