X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to all golfers and TDs!?

If a female breaks her arm and informs the TD 12 days before the event happens than what should happen?
    A. The TD refunds her money
    B. The TD keeps half of her entry
    C. The TD keeps all of her entry
    Refund the money
    76.74%
    Keep half of the money
    18.60%
    Keep all of the money
    4.65%
    Relax and enjoy your hair
    TNT Yardworks.com

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
    If a female breaks her arm and informs the TD 12 days before the event happens than what should happen?
    From the PDGA website:

1.3 Withdraws and Refunds

A. A player may officially withdraw only by contacting the Tournament Director.

B. Players must email or phone their withdrawals to the Tournament Director only at the contact information posted.

C. Discussions with persons other than the Tournament Director, including other tournament staff, shall not be considered official.

D. No refunds will be issued after the 7th day prior to the start of the event, but the player shall be sent a playerís package if one was provided to event competitors.

E. Withdrawals made before the 7th day prior to the start of the event shall receive a 50% refund.

F. Withdrawals made 14 days prior to the start of the event shall be refunded 100 %, less postage and handling, which shall not exceed 10% of the entry fee.

G. These criteria may be relaxed at the discretion of the Tournament Director.

If it were my event I would refund her money.
    Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
    2013 Chick Flick co-TD
    Stumptown #176
    PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
      From the PDGA website:

A. A player may officially withdraw only by contacting the Tournament Director.

B. Players must email or phone their withdrawals to the Tournament Director only at the contact information posted.

C. Discussions with persons other than the Tournament Director, including other tournament staff, shall not be considered official.

D. No refunds will be issued after the 7th day prior to the start of the event, but the player shall be sent a playerís package if one was provided to event competitors.

E. Withdrawals made before the 7th day prior to the start of the event shall receive a 50% refund.

F. Withdrawals made 14 days prior to the start of the event shall be refunded 100 %, less postage and handling, which shall not exceed 10% of the entry fee.

If it were my event I would refund her money.
      Agreed.

Comment

Legit question or humoring injured player wishes

So what if the player asks the TD (after HER ARM IS BROKEN) if she can play with her off hand (as late as Wed)? plays both Sat rounds then DNF's on Sunday. WE won't Talk about her being an open player or the fact she slowed not just her division but both Sat Rounds

the pDGA said that if she played and did not want to use her rating she could play as a non competitive participant.

As a TD I should be able to say to this player "why not just sit out the weekend and make room for someone who will actually show on Sunday"
        rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
          So what if the player asks the TD (after HER ARM IS BROKEN) if she can play with her off hand (as late as Wed)? plays both Sat rounds then DNF's on Sunday. WE won't Talk about her being an open player or the fact she slowed not just her division but both Sat Rounds

the pDGA said that if she played and did not want to use her rating she could play as a non competitive participant.

As a TD I should be able to say to this player "why not just sit out the weekend and make room for someone who will actually show on Sunday"
          I am asking a very specific question Jub. Read it again if you don't understand. It has nothing to do with something that has happened and held up a tourney that has been played.
          The situation u are referring to the player showed up and played Sunday and played until 6 holes remained. She was in tears from the excruciating pain. Speaking with other women she played with she in fact played very quickly and was not even the slowest in the group.
          I am talking about an event that has yet to be played.
          TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

What is the relevance of the player's gender? If you plan on handling it differently than you would if the player were male, I would strongly encourage you to reconsider.
            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
              What is the relevance of the player's gender? If you plan on handling it differently than you would if the player were male, I would strongly encourage you to reconsider.
              Yeah! Gender should not come into this decision. We all want to play on a level playing field...so to speak.

I had to answer B due to the fact that the 14 day window had passed but the 7 day window had not. I usually look to the PDGA rules when deciding how to deal with certain situations. Now if the tourney is NOT PDGA sanctioned, then I would probably go with A and ignore the gender of the player completely. Also, the reason why the player wants/needs to withdraw should not make a difference.

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
              Remain ye men of faculty complete,
              Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
              Attending to our noble bond and contract?
              Or does here stand the last remaining man
              To give a fig for rules and order yet,
              No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
              Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
              Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

I am familiar with the PDGA rules on this kind of situation and given the severity of the injury, appropriate excuse, and reasonable time fram for notification I would probably give a full refund less shipping expenses (maybe less player pack expenses) but would certainly give the benefit of the doubt. I would not feel compelled to stick to the PDGA guidelines as these are only guidelines. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

My personal policy for events that I run is almost always to give a 100% refund (- online reg fee). One exception to that policy is when a player no-shows and leaves an open spot on a card, especially when someone could have been added from the wait list!

Some of my reasoning for such a generous policy...
                  1. I figure players want to participate so if they have to bail it's probably for a legit reason. Along as I have time to adjust the payout it's no big deal to me.
                  2. I want to give players every incentive possible to pre-register as early as possible. If the threat of losing all or part of your entry fee is hanging over you then why sign up ahead of time?
                  3. I consider the Disc Golf community as a big group of friends. I figure if I go out of my way to make the whole process of being a part of an event a positive experience then that karma will come around full circle in the long run. So far that's largely been the case!

Every TD has different feelings about this issue of course. As long as PDGA guidelines are being met (at a minimum) then it comes down to how the player feels they were treated and whether or not they want to play another event run by that TD. The Golden Rule applies here from both sides.

It should go without saying that communication is king. Players, please let the TD know if you can't make it to the event, no matter what the reason is, it really does help!

Comment

So many variables

I guess the guidlines are just that due to so many possible variables.

If the tourney is full and someone can fill the spot and keep the $$ relatively close, no biggie.

If the tourney is just scraping by and the TD would have to supplement the tourney with her own $$ due to the withdrawl, that would be undesireable.

If the player has a reputation of being a flake and frequently 'no shows' I would be more apt to enforce the guidelines.

In the hypothetical situation presented I would rather have a 'D.' option which would allow the player to compete in a division that was appropriate to the skill level of playing with the off hand if she wanted to play.

TD decisions are tough....

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
                      From the PDGA website:

By rule it is up to the TD to follow the PDGA rule if he/she wishes. It sure helps as a backup, if needed.....but the Quoted section allows a TD to treat this rule more as a guideline and be a bit more relaxed in certain cases.

In a case such as a verifiable injury/illness, etc.....a full refund would be certainly justifiable. Unless of course the TD wanted to be an ASS....

Comment

Typically, when I must withdraw from an event prior to the event date, regardless of reason, I will donate my entry fee, so, assuming the TD applies money to the payout, and adjusts it for fewer players, then the payout actually becomes richer for the remaining players.

I will usually ask if the TD has en extra player pack, if I may still have one, and they usually do.

So that is an option for players to consider when they must withdraw from an event.
                        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by ericedge View Post
                          My personal policy for events that I run is almost always to give a 100% refund (- online reg fee). One exception to that policy is when a player no-shows and leaves an open spot on a card, especially when someone could have been added from the wait list!

Some of my reasoning for such a generous policy...
                          1. I figure players want to participate so if they have to bail it's probably for a legit reason. Along as I have time to adjust the payout it's no big deal to me.
                          2. I want to give players every incentive possible to pre-register as early as possible. If the threat of losing all or part of your entry fee is hanging over you then why sign up ahead of time?
                          3. I consider the Disc Golf community as a big group of friends. I figure if I go out of my way to make the whole process of being a part of an event a positive experience then that karma will come around full circle in the long run. So far that's largely been the case!

Every TD has different feelings about this issue of course. As long as PDGA guidelines are being met (at a minimum) then it comes down to how the player feels they were treated and whether or not they want to play another event run by that TD. The Golden Rule applies here from both sides.

It should go without saying that communication is king. Players, please let the TD know if you can't make it to the event, no matter what the reason is, it really does help!
                          I AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT COMPLETELY!! This is $100 entry BTW. It doesn't matter if it were a female or a male. Just happened to be the case which I should not have even stated. ASS, Magilla, in this case, is what I would call the proper pronoun. All those who would keep the money must think that money grows on tree's or they must have plenty of it. This person has not been able to work full time because of this injury.But hey, it's just family. The TD has even told this person that she reminds him so much of her own Grand daughter... sheesh
                          TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

I have heard people talking bad about the TD in a crowded room with others joining in and the player out their money defends the TD and says really nice things. Must be hard to be the man.
                            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post

Were you even there Jub??How do you know she slowed down her division?? DO you eat pieces of $hit for breakfast?
                              TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X