Testing the Wind Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Testing the Wind

    I know that the PDGA has a rule against testing the wind. You can't use your disc, blah blah blah. That's why people use the grass or pine needles etc. My question is, would it be considered against the rules if I use my towel? I've been playing a few rounds this year with my golf towel clipped to my side and I noticed that when the wind is up, it acts as a flag would on top of the basket. My worry is that this could be considered to be violation of the PDGA policy.

    Anyone got an answer?
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

  • #2
    Originally posted by General Scales View Post
    I know that the PDGA has a rule against testing the wind. You can't use your disc, blah blah blah. That's why people use the grass or pine needles etc. My question is, would it be considered against the rules if I use my towel? I've been playing a few rounds this year with my golf towel clipped to my side and I noticed that when the wind is up, it acts as a flag would on top of the basket. My worry is that this could be considered to be violation of the PDGA policy.

    Anyone got an answer?
    If its attached to you its part of the player. Don't over think this one!
    PDGA #25296
    Stumptown #34

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Flash View Post
      If its attached to you its part of the player. Don't over think this one!
      So if it's attached at the hip it's good. What if I'm holding it my hand as I would a disc at the front of the teepad? Does that count as attached?
      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
      Cleveland Brown

      Comment


      • #4
        There's no rule against using some method to determine the wind direction and strength. Far as I know, you could carry a portable weather station with wind vane and anemometer. The only restriction in the rules is seeing what the affect of the wind might be by making practice throws.

        In theory, you could be penalized for "damaging foliage" by pulling up live grass to test the wind and even moreso if you pick up grass or anything else that's unattached like pine needles in front of your lie. Perhaps a good choice would be to carry your own container of ...ahem, dried grass you could toss in the air to test the wind. Seems like that's been a tradition by many over the years, other than the "tossing in the air" part. Towel is fine.
        Last edited by Chuck Kennedy; March 23rd, 2012, 12:10 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
          There's no rule against using some method to determine the wind direction and strength. Far as I know, you could carry a portable weather station with wind vane and anemometer. The only restriction is seeing what the affect of the wind might be by making practice throws.
          thanks, chuck. i'd never heard of this rule and i know the rulebook fairly well at this point... just spent some time searching for it, got frustrated, and was about to come back on and in my best whiney typing be like, "chuu-uuuck... i can't find the wind rule? what's the wind rule?"
          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
            In theory, you could be penalized for "damaging foliage" by pulling up live grass to test the wind and even moreso if you pick up grass or anything else that's unattached like pine needles in front of your lie. Perhaps a good choice would be to carry
            your own container of ...ahem, dried grass you could toss in the air to test the wind. Seems like that's been a tradition by many over the years, other than the "tossing in the air" part. Towel is fine.
            My nomination for post of the year.

            Comment


            • #7
              "Yes, officer. This is official tournament equipment we use to test the wind. Watch how it works as I toss it all in the air..."

              Comment

              Announcement Announcement Module
              Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X