X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
    This frustrates me actually. Sure I smoke and I make efforts to be respectful of those around me, but unless it is against some actual law who is to tell me where I can and can't smoke? Chewing is perfectly legit in baseball (last I looked into it) as is smoking in PGA play. The reason you don't see it on t.v. is because the television companies aren't allowed to show it. But what do I know!
    Chewing or tobacco of any kind is not allowed during baseball - hence all the sunflower seeds you see being spit.
    Also, PGA uses the same policy (where the PDGA policy originated from) no smoking or tobacco of any kind in the public eye regardless whether it's on tv or not.

This is for PDGA Majors only so there isn't any reason to be upset.
    PDGA President

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
      Then shouldn't it be a tobacco policy instead of a non-smoking policy?
      And yes, you're exactly right- it should be tobacco free policy. I'm going to start working on that.
      PDGA President

Comment

Chew is allowed in the Major League Baseball (as of right now).... but not in the Minor Leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
          Chew is allowed in the Major League Baseball (as of right now).... but not in the Minor Leagues.
          You are correct but since the FDA regulates tobacco now - over 31% of owners have already banned smokeless tobacco.
          PDGA President

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca View Post
            You are correct but since the FDA regulates tobacco now - over 31% of owners have already banned smokeless tobacco.
            At what point is it banned? Start of the National Anthem? Anytime the player is on the field? Upon entering the stadium?

Bob

Comment

Lonely people buy tickets to the games just to get the "tobacco pat down" at the gate...

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca View Post
                I am not sure, but I do not believe individual owners can ban their players a right they have secured in the collective bargaining system between MLB and the Players Union. Since Disc Golf players do not have a union the rule addition to PDGA Majors can be enacted with no court cases. I believe the new rule is a step in the right direction, and I hope more steps will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                  I am not sure, but I do not believe individual owners can ban their players a right they have secured in the collective bargaining system between MLB and the Players Union. Since Disc Golf players do not have a union the rule addition to PDGA Majors can be enacted with no court cases. I believe the new rule is a step in the right direction, and I hope more steps will follow.
                  I would say that who ever owns the field and compound can arrange any rules they want. Heck they could even prevent sunflower seeds during games if they wanted to.

I can say this, the power of addiction is a force to be reckoned with!!!
                  PDGA #25296
                  Stumptown #34

Comment

I applaud the pdga. I find it selfish to expose others to second hand smoke and the risk even cancer because they feel the need to smoke the ENTIRE round on and off. I get it is addicting and am sad there still are so many who are, but feel that non-smokers should not be subjected to this poison.
                    "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                    -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Unfortunate Consequence

I'm all in favor of continuing the non-smoking (tobacco use) policy...However I forsee a situation I struggle with at some tourneys getting even worse.

"The motion stated that the PDGA continue the non smoking policy at the PDGA Majors in 2012, from the two minute warning until the time that the scorecard is turned in, except in special areas out of the public eye as designated by the tournament director."

Won't players be more inclined to chainsmoke at tourney central during the player's meeting and up to the two minute warning in order to last the round without tobacco?

I just hope more tournament directors will designate a smoking area near tourny central but ban smoking in the direct vicinity of the meeting and the scoreboard.

I feel very fortunate when I play with considerate golfers who do their very best to extend the current courtesy rule of not allowing their smoke to effect others before and after the round at tourney central.

Comment

Tourney central at the Beaver State Fling has been smoke-free for the past few years. We put up a number of signs, but it is still hard to constantly enforce those rules. We are trying though.

Jeff

Originally posted by Lyounger View Post
                        I'm all in favor of continuing the non-smoking (tobacco use) policy...However I forsee a situation I struggle with at some tourneys getting even worse.

"The motion stated that the PDGA continue the non smoking policy at the PDGA Majors in 2012, from the two minute warning until the time that the scorecard is turned in, except in special areas out of the public eye as designated by the tournament director."

Won't players be more inclined to chainsmoke at tourney central during the player's meeting and up to the two minute warning in order to last the round without tobacco?

I just hope more tournament directors will designate a smoking area near tourny central but ban smoking in the direct vicinity of the meeting and the scoreboard.

I feel very fortunate when I play with considerate golfers who do their very best to extend the current courtesy rule of not allowing their smoke to effect others before and after the round at tourney central.
                        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                          Tourney central at the Beaver State Fling has been smoke-free for the past few years. We put up a number of signs, but it is still hard to constantly enforce those rules. We are trying though.

Jeff
                          Tourney central was a no smoking area, but hardly smoke free. You just can't teach common sense and courtesy.

Comment

Designated Smoking Areas

If designated smoking areas are available instead of creating non-smoking areas it would be much easier to enforce and less confusing to smokers who were trying to follow the rules. No smoking unless you are in a designated area. We could provided benches and approriate butt dispensers. I'd come close to providing free beer if I didn't have to duck away from the smoke all the time!

Comment

Originally posted by Lyounger View Post
                              If designated smoking areas are available instead of creating non-smoking areas it would be much easier to enforce and less confusing to smokers who were trying to follow the rules. No smoking unless you are in a designated area. We could provided benches and approriate butt dispensers. I'd come close to providing free beer if I didn't have to duck away from the smoke all the time!
                              I just don't know how much it would help. At the BSF, the entire park was designated a smoking section, with only tourney central non-smoking. It didn't seem to be much of a deterent.

Comment

Well I guess I'm just going to piss on every tree close to the baskets, so I can mark my territory.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X