X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a Big Tournament - Here's Why You Should NOT Sanction

It is clear that the PDGA does not take its members very seriously or they would have long-ago addressed the issues with their absolutely horrible website. They have spent boatloads of money on their International Disc Golf Center - a place many of us might never get to visit - and seem to have shunned their website - effectively making it a place that many of us might never BE ABLE to visit.

Until the PDGA can figure out how to provide a working website, I encourage all TDs everywhere to use different means for sign-ups, insurance, etc. I know that I will be running a fairly large tournament in October and have decided not to use the PDGA for this very reason. The $300-500 they would have gotten from my work will now be going back to the players in the form of payout and schwag.

Maybe next year it will be sanctioned... if they decide to finally do something about their website. I will not be holding my breath as we have been forced to deal with this site for far too long.
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

I will say it is painfully slow. I was trying to update scores between rounds on Saturday and just flat couldn't do, kept timing out and resetting my upload. Had to wait nearly 3 hours after the round finished until the site finally took the upload. I did everything I could to have a system that would allow me post scores during lunch for the first round, trying to provide as high a quality PDGA tournament experience as we could and everything worked perfect except the last step, the website. Frustrating to say the least, forget the money involved, the extra time and paperwork on the admin side to be sanctioned is significant and one of only things I wanted back in return (other than insurance obviously) was ratings.

Not at a point yet to give up on sanctioning but do agree that something should done to improve the web experience. Maybe a separate site for tournament stuff or at least lease some Amazon servers for NT weekends to cover the traffic influx.
    Last edited by Skookum; August 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skookum View Post
      I will say it is painfully slow. I was trying to update scores between rounds on Saturday and just flat couldn't do, kept timing out and resetting my upload. Had to wait nearly 3 hours after the round finished until the site finally took the upload. I did everything I could to have a system that would allow me post scores during lunch for the first round, trying to provide as high a quality PDGA tournament experience as we could and everything worked perfect except the last step, the website. Frustrating to say the least, forget the money involved, the extra time and paperwork on the admin side to sanctioned is significant and one of only things I wanted back in return (other than insurance obviously) was ratings.

Not at a point yet to give up on sanctioning but do agree that something should done to improve the web experience. Maybe a separate site for tournament stuff or at least lease some Amazon servers for NT weekend to cover traffic influx.
      Well put.

I voiced my concerns on the PDGA thread on this subject as well...
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
        Well put.

I voiced my concerns on the PDGA thread on this subject as well...
        I will read your thoughts there in a few hours when (if) the site finishes loading on my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lund View Post
          I will read your thoughts there in a few hours when (if) the site finishes loading on my computer.
          Heh. Roger that!
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

wee bit more

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            It is clear that the PDGA does not take its members very seriously or they would have long-ago addressed the issues with their absolutely horrible website. They have spent boatloads of money on their International Disc Golf Center - a place many of us might never get to visit - and seem to have shunned their website - effectively making it a place that many of us might never BE ABLE to visit.

Until the PDGA can figure out how to provide a working website, I encourage all TDs everywhere to use different means for sign-ups, insurance, etc. I know that I will be running a fairly large tournament in October and have decided not to use the PDGA for this very reason. The $300-500 they would have gotten from my work will now be going back to the players in the form of payout and schwag.

Maybe next year it will be sanctioned... if they decide to finally do something about their website. I will not be holding my breath as we have been forced to deal with this site for far too long.
            Hello SLAM BAM, you rebel you.
            I somewhat disagree with part of your post there hombre.
            Bigger sanctioned gigs could possibly earn the PDGA a wee bit more than $500.
            Another "Why You Should NOT" might be the keg of good beer on tee #7 at the Whistlers dubs this year. Oh wait....... you weren't there huh?
            Seriously, for whatever reasons, I think it's important to have a good mix of sanctioned and non's.
            IMO, it helps bring different crowds together.
            Gudt luck with your gig!
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            - Anonymous

Comment

Yose,

Sam has a point, the problem is there is no competition. Sure we hire members to run our organization but still the same old problems that we face year in and year out plague us. The fact that our organization website is not stable day to day is a serious issue.

If another organization was to come along and offer insurance and historical tracking with a website that was bullet proof then you had better believe the PDGA would take notice. I am just saying....
              PDGA #25296
              Stumptown #34

Comment

The PDGA is ready to launch a new website. They chose not to do this because of the AM and Pro Worlds and risking everything crashing.

They know the issues and they are getting them worked out so please be patient.

Sam- I know you're frustrated but I don't agree with telling people they shouldn't sanction their tournaments.

They're building it faster,stronger............
                PDGA President

Comment

Rebecca - what is the ETA on the new site? I keep hearing "soon", but what does that mean?

Comment

At our age Scott, soon = a decade or so...
                    educate your thinking

Comment

That's what I was afraid of.

Comment

The ETA is in the next couple of months. They are making the website very user friendly especially the TD's.

I can't go in all the details but if everything goes according to plan--we won't have to wait for the site to load.

They are just really working on making it great instead of lauching a website that they are going to get more complaints about.

Although, this is not my area----I, too wanted to know. I just wanted to share what I could.
                        PDGA President

Comment

Sam's point taken

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                          Yose,

Sam has a point, the problem is there is no competition. Sure we hire members to run our organization but still the same old problems that we face year in and year out plague us. The fact that our organization website is not stable day to day is a serious issue.

If another organization was to come along and offer insurance and historical tracking with a website that was bullet proof then you had better believe the PDGA would take notice. I am just saying....
                          I truly understand and agree that an organization of this size and revenue should have a reliable website.
                          I also feel that we as members should voice our opinions on issues and take actions when these issues are not (in OUR opinions) handled correctly. It's obvious to me that a lot of folks are getting tired of the reasons and excuses why there isn't a top of the line website.
                          Yoseman
                          PDGA member since 1988
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                          - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca View Post
                            The PDGA is ready to launch a new website. They chose not to do this because of the AM and Pro Worlds and risking everything crashing.

They know the issues and they are getting them worked out so please be patient.
                            Have heard this for a long time....

Sam- I know you're frustrated but I don't agree with telling people they shouldn't sanction their tournaments.
                            No... I imagine you wouldn't. That said, I will continue to do so - and even stop encouraging people to JOIN the PDGA - until the face of the PDGA is fixed.

Thanks.
                            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              Have heard this for a long time....

No... I imagine you wouldn't. That said, I will continue to do so - and even stop encouraging people to JOIN the PDGA - until the face of the PDGA is fixed.

Thanks.
                              We will have to agree to disagree but I still love ya Sam
                              PDGA President

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X