Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware the bad question on the Official's test!

I got one wrong according the PDGA. But according to me, they got it wrong.

Here you go:

Question 9: Lost Disc Found After Time Expires

A competitor cannot locate his tee shot. The rest of the group joins in the search and a group member declares 'Time starts now'. Three minutes and thirteen seconds later the disc is found and they haven't given him a new lie. What is the ruling?

A) At 3 minutes, his disc was officially lost; he plays from the spot where his disc was found, one throw penalty.
    B) At 3 minutes the disc was officially lost, he re-tees or proceeds to a drop zone if designated with a one throw penalty.
    C) At 2 minutes his disc was officially lost, he plays from the last seen location of the disc, one throw penalty.
    D) At 3 minutes his disc was officially lost, he plays from the spot where his disc was found, no penalty.
    E) He plays from where his disc was found, no penalty.

Your Answer: E
    Correct Answer: B

Feedback: At 3 minutes the disc is lost and as it is his tee-shot he must re-tee and receive a one throw penalty. (803.11 B)

I stand by my answer: No penalty.

803.11 says "Two players or an official must note when the timing of three minutes begins." In the question above only one "group member" declares that the three minutes starts. Nothing about the two players or an official who are the only ones authorized to start the three-minute clock.

So if you take this test watch out! The PDGA believes that "a group member" is the same as "two players or an official."

Other than that, I thought it was a good and fair test that forced me to dig out the rule book.

BTW, in an actual tournament, I'd get the whole group to concur when the three minutes starts, not have it start when one person "declares" it, which may or may not be heard by others in the group.

I meant to comment on this same question when I took the test a couple months ago. At least one person at pdga is aware of and agrees this is a poorly written question. I sent this to the pdga in mid-March:

"To whom it may concern-

I feel that question #22 (Lost disc found after time expires) was very poorly written). The question indicates that a player in the group (implying just one player) declared that "time had started." According to the rule (803.11) "2 players or an official must note when the timing begins."

-Eric Lund"

And I got this response from Todd Breiner:
    "I have reviewed the question phrasing and related rule (803.11), and
    agree with your feedback regarding the phrasing of the question. I
    have forwarded your feedback to the PDGA Tour Manager along with my
    notes for review.

The word 'declaration' generally implies a positive, explicit, or
    formal statement [meant to be heard by others]. The question does not
    specifically acknowledge that another group member seconded the
    declaration."

Apparently they havent fixed this question yet assuming you took the test more recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Lund View Post
      Apparently they havent fixed this question yet assuming you took the test more recently.
      Thanks for the info and the PDGA response.

Yes, I took the test today so the question is still in use. Considering how carefully worded all the other questions were, I'm surprised this one was just a little sloppy.

Comment

I agree that this question is a bit ambiguous in its wording. In fact, most of the questions in the official's test are poorly worded in my opinon. Are they intentionally confusing to add a degree of dificulty that is non-extistent on an open book test? The old written test was awful. The new online version seems to have been revised somewhat.

Good catches gentleman.
        Team DISCRAFT
        NW Sign Up
        Gorilla Boy
        Paragon Disc Golf
        Odwalla

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
        Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X