Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have to say, after watching those videos and a couple others i found that guy Bradley Williams should be the one being suspended for behavior inconsistent with the PDGA image!! his attitude, actions and words were directly effecting a PDGA tournament in a bad way. he is relitively new to the sport (started playing and competing in 2008) so maybe he will learn how to behave properly, but there is no excuse for a pro player to be acting like that at all!!!!

on a lighter note, bradley makes Nikko look like a choir boy . big suprise that they are friends and play together.
    Team HOSER:dancing:
    Team OLY:cheerleader:
    Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Are inebriated PDGA officials playing in a PDGA gig a good image?

Originally posted by cefire View Post
      If he hadn't made the news, would he have received the same punishment? I completely understand promoting the most positive image we can but I'd also like to know what the line for this is. The knee-jerk reaction that everyone seems to have (including myself!) is that he was engaging in behavior that is obviously against the law but I'd echo others in asking why this is PDGA business.

If someone gets press for any kind of illegal activity while mentioning disc golf, does that warrant punitive PDGA action or just illicit substances? What about making prominent unpopular political statements as a 'disc golfer'? What about being photographed on a motorcycle speeding through a red light with a disc golf shirt on? OK, that last example at least was mostly for fun, but I do think this is a very interesting line the PDGA has taken here and worth talking about.

Good questions, but IMO, probably too difficult for the PDGA to answer.
      What if the feller busted was an amateur instead of a pro?
      What if he wasn't a current member?
      Are we as PDGA members privy to what is and what is not, an acceptable image? I think at $75 bucks a year, I should be!
      Reminds me of a gig I went to where an elected PDGA official created an interesting image. This PDGA representative offered me a shot of whiskey from behind the gig table right before the 2nd round started.
      I thought he was joking, but then the half full bottle appeared, so I politely refused, turned my head in disgust and walked away.
      I call Bullshit on this particular PDGA "image" decision!
      Is there an appeal process?
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      - Anonymous

Comment

Prohibitions will never work very well, but it does give the powers that are a lever to use as they see fit.
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Oh, it's like that is it...

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
          Are we as PDGA members privy to what is and what is not, an acceptable image? I think at $75 bucks a year, I should be!
          Reminds me of a gig I went to where an elected PDGA official created an interesting image. This PDGA representative offered me a shot of whiskey from behind the gig table right before the 2nd round started.
          I thought he was joking, but then the half full bottle appeared, so I politely refused, turned my head in disgust and walked away.
          That's the last time I offer to share with you, Yose!

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
          Remain ye men of faculty complete,
          Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
          Attending to our noble bond and contract?
          Or does here stand the last remaining man
          To give a fig for rules and order yet,
          No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
          Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
          Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

That guy offered me a drink one time too, in similar circumstances. But it didn't bother me because I don't have any long standing beefs or grudges with the guy, his crew, or the PDGA, and I'm a mellow, live and let live kind of dude. Your mileage my vary.

Comment

Hmmm... Regarding the shot of whisky. If the 2 minute warning had not sounded then this is a moot point. If the 2 minute warning had already sounded then you should have brought this up right away.

Whatever the case, bringing it up here and now... seems personal to me. Rise above it Yose, Rise Above!
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Actually, Jeff... I believe that there are standards around what a TD can and cannot do around tournament central. I cannot imagine why this would not apply to other PDGA officials who are behind the table at TC...

That said... this does seem like more of the same personal stuff that I was hoping to see go away.
                ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Whew, that was close...

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Actually, Jeff... I believe that there are standards around what a TD can and cannot do around tournament central.
                  Good thing I'm never gonna be the TD again....

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                  Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                  Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                  Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                  Or does here stand the last remaining man
                  To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                  No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                  Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                  Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Images are opinion's

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                    Hmmm... Regarding the shot of whisky. If the 2 minute warning had not sounded then this is a moot point. If the 2 minute warning had already sounded then you should have brought this up right away.

Whatever the case, bringing it up here and now... seems personal to me. Rise above it Yose, Rise Above!
                    Jeff,
                    I brought this experience up only as a comparison to the almighty image that the PDGA is trying to protect.
                    I guess it's just a coincidence that when I speak up against something I disagree with, some of the same people are always at the other end.
                    Damn politics!

So, who is the image for?
                    The players, the public?
                    If they even know it happened, is this decision really going to change or help the public's view of "professional" disc golf?
                    Is/did the PDGA release a letter to the world letting us know that they punished one of their members and will not tolerate these actions?
                    It seems that this will result in more of a negative image in the long run, and I don't see any benefits for the PDGA, except for perhaps a few personal agendas being satisfied.
                    Sorry, but I just think it stinks and feel that there should be more black and white as to what is acceptable.
                    IMO, Jeff's a good man who made a big mistake and is unfairly being deprived of something he loves to do because of it.
                    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                    - Anonymous

Comment

Having black and white repercussions would be a step in the right direction.

I'm getting an article written in my employer's newspaper about disc golf. Just thinking about what to include and what to exclude made me realize that the disc golf image sucks. The last think I need is my boss stumbling on an article about 60+ lbs of pot seized from a professional disc golfer. Not that it would matter but I'd probably get drug tested the next day.

I'm glad the PDGA is playing an active role in cleaning up our image. Are they going about it the right way? Debatable.

Comment

Well you don't get to play disc golf in jail. Sorry, that's what happens when you finance your cross country excursions with herb. Watched a lot of people get screwed on Marijuana law but it happens, he knew the risks and has consequently lost everything to it.
                        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                        Cleveland Brown

Comment

I guess my real questions are:
                          Has he been found guilty of these actions?
                          Are we assuming guilt before we know all the details?

If he has been legitimately suspended and is deliberately circumventing the punishment, another story...
                          When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
                            I guess my real questions are:
                            Has he been found guilty of these actions?
                            Are we assuming guilt before we know all the details?

If he has been legitimately suspended and is deliberately circumventing the punishment, another story...
                            Um, I know in America we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Good luck trying to be innocent with 78 pounds of herb.
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

I'd say anyone who runs afoul of that prohibition law is innocent. I'd say it's the laws tthat are suspect. Of course, the PDGA can do what it wants, but the citizens should know better about what we imprison each other for.
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                                I'd say anyone who runs afoul of that prohibition law is innocent. I'd say it's the laws tthat are suspect. Of course, the PDGA can do what it wants, but the citizens should know better about what we imprison each other for.
                                Yes I totally agree. Unfortunately we can thank Anslinger Nixon Nancy Reagan and various other various entities of hypocritical flesh. I'm willing to bet they all enjoy a good drink...
                                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X