Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Marijuana & the PDGA

Medical Marijuana & the PDGA

This is a topic that a few of my non-tourney playing disc buddies were bringing up to me and asking how I, as a TD, would handle this question coming up. I had forgotten about it until overhearing a hypothetical discussion about this issue out at the Aloha Sushi Classic this last weekend.

So I asked the PDGA how they would rule on this issue, and for those interested, here is how it went:

I am a tournament director in Washington State. We now have a number of players who have a prescription for smoking medical marijuana. What are the PDGA's rules that apply to a player in a sanctioned event taking medicine prescribed by a doctor?

It doesn't feel/seem right to allow players to smoke pot during their round, but I can't think of any other time I, as a TD, would tell a player they arn't allowed to take medicine prescribed by their doctor.

What does the governing body (PDGA) rule on such a matter?

Mike Rideout

Mike,

The PDGA does not allow the use of Medical Marijuana during a PDGA sanctioned event. Most states donít allow the use of Medical Marijuana in public at all. Some are actually very specific about it not being allowed in public parks.

I did a quick look up and you can go to:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.a....51A&full=true to view the Washington State Law.

It includes:
    69.51A.060
    Crimes ó Limitations of chapter.

(1) It shall be a misdemeanor to use or display medical marijuana in a manner or place which is open to the view of the general public.

The PDGA would certainly consider any of our sanctioned tournaments as a ďplace which is open to the view of the general public.Ē

I hope that helps,

Andrew

Andrew F. Sweeton
    PDGA Tour Manager

WA ST Approved PDGA Schedule

4DiscGolf - a tournament directors best friend!!!

Tournament Directors - register your event HERE

That makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

Dang!
      www.rewindb.com

Comment

Seems fair enough. You'll have to step behind the bushes to fire your insulin.

It should amount to a pass for the prescribed chosen to get through the future PDGA piss testing.
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Has to be this way

It kinda has to be this way, Cannabis is such a grey area for everyone. Whether your a recreational user or a medical user the drug is still under probation with certain holes for medical use.

The PDGA im sure doesn't want to have this come up on some type of law issue either. The PDGA is not exactly the richest association out there. If they got into some legal trouble over marijuana in public at a PDGA event.. it could seriously damage the sport.

Obviously this is all opinion and hypothetical and I would like to see the public's view about the drug to be more understanding instead of one with ignorance. But with how things are, it has to be this way.
          One generation plants the trees while another gets the shade.

Comment

I cannot tell if I am more surprised that this card wasn't played earlier or that it was taken at all seriously. Just do like the rest do and smoke your "medicine" immediately before the two minute warning and as soon as your card is turned in.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

What if the course where the event was held was on private land and it was an invitational?
              Relax and enjoy your hair
              TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

if it was a private course and not sanctioned by the pdga, i think you would be able to do anything you wanted. smoke pot one hole, next hole eat shrooms, next hole drop acid, next hole 1 line of coke, next hole 2 lines of coke, ect ect.........
                Team HOSER:dancing:
                Team OLY:cheerleader:
                Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Via second hand knowledge, I am under the impression that many Medical Marijuana functions/gatherings have in the past have had outdoor party/catering style tents set up for patients to use their doctor recommended cannabis, and have not been prosecuted under the "public view" clause in the 1998 law. See: Cannabis farmers market (http://cannabisfarmersmarkets.com/), which I am under the impression has a set up like this. Whether this "public view" clause has survived or has become more restrictive after Gov. Gregoire's partial veto last friday, I cannot recall of the top of my head. So hypothetically, If a TD were to have a tent or other structure without windows somewhere near the event, where authorized patients could medicate, 100% out of public view, the PDGA would have to address the issue personally, rather than defer to state law. But this is all pushing the envelope, not something I would personally advocate for an all ages, open to the public tourney. As an aside, It would be great if more of the less challenging courses in our area (typically flat courses) had paved trails for wheel chair/handicapped access to the baskets, so we could share our sport with those who have lost their legs.

Comment

Apologies, this is the link I meant to supply regarding the smoking tent at the cannabis farmers market, scroll down over halfway through for the mention: http://seattlecannabisjournal.com/20...rket/#more-408

Comment

This is not a viable option

Originally posted by Cornwall, Esq. View Post
                      Via second hand knowledge, I am under the impression that many Medical Marijuana functions/gatherings have in the past have had outdoor party/catering style tents set up for patients to use their doctor recommended cannabis, and have not been prosecuted under the "public view" clause in the 1998 law. See: Cannabis farmers market (http://cannabisfarmersmarkets.com/), which I am under the impression has a set up like this. Whether this "public view" clause has survived or has become more restrictive after Gov. Gregoire's partial veto last friday, I cannot recall of the top of my head. So hypothetically, If a TD were to have a tent or other structure without windows somewhere near the event, where authorized patients could medicate, 100% out of public view, the PDGA would have to address the issue personally, rather than defer to state law. But this is all pushing the envelope, not something I would personally advocate for an all ages, open to the public tourney. As an aside, It would be great if more of the less challenging courses in our area (typically flat courses) had paved trails for wheel chair/handicapped access to the baskets, so we could share our sport with those who have lost their legs.

Not sure we want folks sprinting away from their teepad to go and smoke in a tent during a round and then coming back in the middle of the round, thus they would just smoke before or after the round like Sam said. And if you are doing really bad just smoke worst case you get thrown out of the tourney, and your round doesnt get rated unless fo course you are playing pro, in which case you are subject to a one year suspension from the PDGA, I believe?!?
                      Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

Good thing almost none of the courses around here have porta-potties, huh?
                        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

From the days long ago when I did smoke that particular type of medicine without a prescription, I learned that it in no way enhanced my own athletic abilities. Everyone's physical makeup is different, but I would never want to use it where I was to be in a competitive mode. My issues have to do with my hypoglycemia. I'm not at my best when I've wrung an overdose of insulin from my overactive pancreas.

Now if I was at Coney Island and in the hot dog eating contest, that might be different.
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

The PDGA is national organization is bound to follow national laws. Since Med. MJ is still illegal on the National level the PDGA couldn't change the rule even if they wanted too.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X