X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rebecca View Post
    I have to say ditto to leslie's post. People have been very courteous with smoking around me. That includes you Sam
    And with one fell swoop my "tough guy" persona is revealed a fraud...
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

• FREE help Quitting: (free patches, nicotine gum, coaching/support)

http://www.quitnow.net/oregon/

http://www.doh.wa.gov/Tobacco/quit/quit.htm
      Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; May 26th, 2011, 10:17 AM.
      Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

• Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
        there is one thing that hasnt been brought up yet. does the ban include those electronic cigarettes, or just the real thing? the electronic ones seem to be gaining momentum. are they an acceptable replacement in the minds of the people that dont smoke or are adversly effected by cigarette smoke?
        The ban for Worlds includes e-cigarettes and chewing tobacco too. The PDGA clarified that point recently:

http://www.pdga.com/announcements/20...smoking-policy

Comment

• Originally posted by jeverett View Post
          The ban for Worlds includes e-cigarettes and chewing tobacco too. The PDGA clarified that point recently:

http://www.pdga.com/announcements/20...smoking-policy
          This reminds me of a time in middle school, where we were too loud in the cafeteria and teachers from neighboring classrooms complained. They tried to quiet us down in different ways, but none of them worked. Eventually it got so bad that the principal ordered us to have silent lunches, where anyone who talked got written up for detention. My friends and I, not wanting to get in trouble, communicated with a rudimentary, yet perfectly silent, sign language. The principal thought that was circumventing the rules, and gave us detention.

Banning smoking makes sense in that it bothers other players (and can be harmful to them), and there's the risk of starting a forest fire. E-cigs and chewing tobacco don't have either of those issues. Banning them is an asinine move--all it does is prevent smokers from using an alternative that doesn't bother anyone.
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

• let's face it, legislating vice has never worked...and we won't even mention the amount of tax dollars that will shift from cigs to...what, diapers, milk...once they convince all of us to quit...

I love those folks who approach me, they weren't near me originally mind you, and they lay into me about how my second hand smoke is worse for them than the primary is to me...well seems like I made the right choice.
            educate your thinking

Comment

• I don't think the PDGA banned smoking out of concern for the health of its members.

I think they did it mainly to avoid sending the wrong message to impressionable youth. (Yes, some DGers are, in fact, role models.)

And I don't think anyone in their right mind, smoker or not, would like to see more kids encouraged to light up because they've seen lots of cool DGers do it (and we are cool, by the way).

So smokers, quit thinking about yourselves and think of the kids.

Anyone have a niece, nephew, son, or daughter that they'd like to see start puffing?

Anyone?

Comment

• Like dis, kids.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Banning smoking makes sense in that it bothers other players (and can be harmful to them), and there's the risk of starting a forest fire. E-cigs and chewing tobacco don't have either of those issues.
                  Chewing tobacco is disgusting. Are the chewers going to carry portable spittoons with them?

It does seem odd that they'd ban electronic cigarettes though; isn't that basically like banning nicotine patches or gum? I suppose it speaks to the role-model thing.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim J View Post
                    I don't think the PDGA banned smoking out of concern for the health of its members.

I think they did it mainly to avoid sending the wrong message to impressionable youth. (Yes, some DGers are, in fact, role models.)

And I don't think anyone in their right mind, smoker or not, would like to see more kids encouraged to light up because they've seen lots of cool DGers do it (and we are cool, by the way).

So smokers, quit thinking about yourselves and think of the kids.

Anyone have a niece, nephew, son, or daughter that they'd like to see start puffing?

Anyone?
                    Hell yea, help keep paying those taxes. If those tax dollars dry up they will need to find another like product to tax, so...used predominately by middle to lower income, used and/or bought daily/weekly, yep diapers and baby forumula.
                    educate your thinking

Comment

• Either make smoking totally illegal, or stop banning individuals rights just because you find yourself effected by it. i dont smoke; i often find myself dodging friends smoke while we play. they are over 18, have a bad habit and love every inhale. i also find people who chew gum and try and hold a conversation repulsive, but i'm not on here trying to ostracize them and their right.

at the professional tournaments sure, all professional athletes have a ethical code of conduct built into their contract. but a tuesday two's? com'on

Comment

• Originally posted by afroflow View Post
                        at the professional tournaments sure, all professional athletes have a ethical code of conduct built into their contract. but a tuesday two's? com'on
                        The reason that smoking is not allowed at Tuesday Twos is because there is a smoking ban in all Hillsboro parks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          The reason that smoking is not allowed at Tuesday Twos is because there is a smoking ban in all Hillsboro parks.
                          One that I break every chance I get, afterall part of the tax I pay for smokes help fund those parks, smoking in the park is just my way of saying, hey I paid for this park too...
                          educate your thinking

Comment

• Unfortunately, they won't see that. It'll just be another strike against disc golf @ Orchard.

Comment

• Originally posted by JMan View Post
                              One that I break every chance I get, afterall part of the tax I pay for smokes help fund those parks, smoking in the park is just my way of saying, hey I paid for this park too...
                              With any luck, you'll be one of the lucky ones that picks up a $150 fine. Maybe they'll use that to fund the park as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by JMan View Post
                                And some of your taxes pay for the roads and if you don't feel like driving the speed limit...and some of your taxes paid for a park where leashes on dogs are required and if you feel like letting your dog run....and some of your taxes planted the trees in that park that knocked your disc down and if you feel like cutting what you want.....great philosophy!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X