Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tobacco is legal heroin and the tobacco companies are legalized pushers.
    Is that putrid tareen really that tasty? Or are you just ashamed to admit you are the tobacco company's bitch?
    Last edited by The Ombudsman; April 25th, 2011, 07:48 PM.
    "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

i can understand both sides to the argument about smoking VS. not smoking, and i have my opionion. after a couple days of thinking i came to the conclusion that i would have accepted this sort of "ruling" better IF the pdga would have let its members vote on it.

Maybe if they plan on trying to get this passed for every tournament instead of just worlds they will ask the members what they want. this is a big topic and i think it would be a much better decision on the pdga's part if they asked the players what they wanted instead of just putting it out there. that would seem the fairest to me.

WE ARE MEMBERS, WHY DONT WE HAVE SOME INPUT ON ISSUES?? they are providing a service to us players so they should try and find out what the majority of players want. this goes for more than just the smoking issue, it would go for any major changes to tournament rules and such...
      Team HOSER:dancing:
      Team OLY:cheerleader:
      Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

In reality----the members did vote on this. We voted for the people we wanted on the board of directors to handle decisions like these.
        If the PDGA let all the members vote on decisions, we would never get anything accomplished. We have put our trust in the individuals that we voted for.
        PDGA President

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca View Post
          In reality----the members did vote on this. We voted for the people we wanted on the board of directors to handle decisions like these.
          If the PDGA let all the members vote on decisions, we would never get anything accomplished. We have put our trust in the individuals that we voted for.
          Bingo!
          Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
          2013 Chick Flick co-TD
          Stumptown #176
          PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
            i can understand both sides to the argument about smoking VS. not smoking, and i have my opionion. after a couple days of thinking i came to the conclusion that i would have accepted this sort of "ruling" better IF the pdga would have let its members vote on it.
            It isnt the something that a vote by ANYONE could have changed.

Smoking is BANNED in ALL Santa Cruz Parks during the Summer anyway due to Fire Danger. So the cards were already dealt in this case. Im not 100% positive about the reast of the Monterey Bay but it seems likely they also have this policy.

Comment

I agree 100%. Very nicely said.

Comment

i must disagree with this. i wasnt talking about small changes, those can deffinately be dealt with by the board. this is a change that deffinately effects a VERY large player base, so it would be better to get the players opinion instead of just a few individuals. so it wouldnt be that big of a hassle to put out a vote because of the nature of the issue.
                Team Meteor

Comment

i must disagree with this. i wasnt talking about small changes, those can deffinately be dealt with by the board. this is a change that deffinately effects a VERY large player base, so it would be better to get the players opinion instead of just a few individuals. so it wouldnt be that big of a hassle to put out a vote because of the nature of the issue.
                  I'm sure they are getting plenty of members opinions right now. BUT this is a very big PDGA event so they have every right to let the board decide. Both the TD's were also asked their opinions and the board voted.
                  Members do have a say but they have to actively become involved. We can't change the vote but we can become proactive when it comes to elections next time and really study the candidates.
                  PDGA President

Comment

If I said I think the American people should vote on the National budget instead of our elected officials, am I not making the same argument?
                    Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
                    Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

• Originally posted by TYVEK View Post

Maybe if they plan on trying to get this passed for every tournament instead of just worlds they will ask the members what they want. this is a big topic and i think it would be a much better decision on the pdga's part if they asked the players what they wanted instead of just putting it out there. that would seem the fairest to me.

WE ARE MEMBERS, WHY DONT WE HAVE SOME INPUT ON ISSUES?? they are providing a service to us players so they should try and find out what the majority of players want. this goes for more than just the smoking issue, it would go for any major changes to tournament rules and such...
                      Yes, let's vote on everything. That way we will never come to any decisions.

And how can you say you have no input on issues? I think if the entire membership voted, smokers would probably not like the outcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                        Yes, let's vote on everything. That way we will never come to any decisions.

And how can you say you have no input on issues? I think if the entire membership voted, smokers would probably not like the outcome.
                        well first i never said we should vote on everything, somebody else already pointed out the fact that nothing would get accomplished that way.

and yes i tend to agree that if every member did vote on the smoking/nonsmoking issue that the smokers would probably get the short end, but the point is that EVERYBODY would be able to have their voice heard and the decision wouldnt be made by a few people. instead the decision would be made by thousands of people. the decision would be made by the PLAYERS/MEMBERS.

I am not talking about the World championships, just to be clear. that decision has been made. and as somebody already pointed out, that decision was ultimately made by the local parks regulation about no smoking in their parks. even if the pdga didnt ban smoking, it would still be banned at worlds because of the local parks laws.
                        I am talking about a possible future ban on smoking that would cover any pdga sanctioned event.
                        Team Meteor

Comment

• Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                          well first i never said we should vote on everything, somebody else already pointed out the fact that nothing would get accomplished that way.

and yes i tend to agree that if every member did vote on the smoking/nonsmoking issue that the smokers would probably get the short end, but the point is that EVERYBODY would be able to have their voice heard and the decision wouldnt be made by a few people. instead the decision would be made by thousands of people. the decision would be made by the PLAYERS/MEMBERS.

I am not talking about the World championships, just to be clear. that decision has been made. and as somebody already pointed out, that decision was ultimately made by the local parks regulation about no smoking in their parks. even if the pdga didnt ban smoking, it would still be banned at worlds because of the local parks laws.
                          I am talking about a possible future ban on smoking that would cover any pdga sanctioned event.
                          Yes, I was being sarcastic about voting on everything. Point being, it's easy to say "Hey, I should have had a vote!" when a decision bugs you but it's just not how organizations like PDGA get things done. That's why we elect a board, and that's where we get a vote.

And smoking has been banned at AM Worlds too, in NY where I don't believe fire danger or parks rules are a factor. And you do have a chance to influence any future PDGA policy regarding smoking. Just be a member and let them know.

Comment

• Ciggs smell bad

Farting smells bad

Yes i have seen someone warned and stroked for farting in a round.

Comment

• religion stinks...
                              we should ban religion on the golf course...
                              I dont want to hear your prayers...
                              The next time you say thank god I will warn you...

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleDees View Post
                                religion stinks...
                                we should ban religion on the golf course...
                                I dont want to hear your prayers...
                                The next time you say thank god I will warn you...
                                Hah! Thats great. Does this mean anybody caught in between the rounds in the sanctity of their own vehicles will face a disqualification because smoking is banned? It's one thing to say you cant smoke on the course or at tourney central (which even being a smoker, I have no problem with). The line for me is drawn when they tell me that I can't smoke in my own car. That would just be ridiculous.

As it was said before, I wonder how Feldberg is going to handle that since he really does smoke like a frickin chimney. Although, if I understand it right, he voted for the ban itself...
                                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X