Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is a great idea. Why should I as a non-smoker have to figure out which way the wind is blowing so I know where to stand?

Comment

Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
      I think this is a great idea. Why should I as a non-smoker have to figure out which way the wind is blowing so I know where to stand?
      well you could just enjoy the smell of the smoke. its not that bad smelling. the bad smell comes from after the smoking is done and you smell the stale smell all over the person.

smoking is a personal right that should not be squashed. its just smoke, and a few breathes of it here and there is not going to "poison you or kill you" as some has previsouly stated.
      Team HOSER:dancing:
      Team OLY:cheerleader:
      Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

No one seems to take note that some people are quite sensitive to the toxins and varied carcinogens emitted in cigarette smoke to the point where it is painful for them. If someone thinks it smells okay, and they personally don't feel any discomfort, is their notion beyond question?

Listen, no one should have the right to toxify another's air. The shit is proven toxic. Any efforts to protect unwilling persons from having to breathe it should be applauded. Everyone is free to go where there is no one to complain and poison themselves and any other persons willing to be there if they so choose. If they had always done this, this wouldn't even be a question. Smokers should not be free to sort out those willing to breathe their smoke by smoking up the area and seeing who goes away.

It's interesting that the legal smoke is highly toxic and the illegal smoke isn't.
        Last edited by Ol' Bob; April 23rd, 2011, 08:07 AM.
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
          im not a smoker, i still think this is an absolute horrible idea. when the pdga starts making rules like this, it really makes me question weather i want to be a member of this organization. they DO NOT have my support in this action, and i hope MORE people will stand up and tell the pdga that they do not support this either.
          More and more Parks in Cali are banning smoking already. Not sure if this is the case in Santa Cruz/Monterey. I will say that the courses there will be VERY dry in August and it may have ALOT to do with Fire Danger.

Comment

De La Veaga bans smoking during the fire season. Two other local courses (Aptos & Black Mouse) forbid smoking because they're on school grounds.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

well you could just enjoy the smell of the smoke. its not that bad smelling. the bad smell comes from after the smoking is done and you smell the stale smell all over the person.

smoking is a personal right that should not be squashed. its just smoke, and a few breathes of it here and there is not going to "poison you or kill you" as some has previsouly stated.
              This is an asinine comment. To me, smoke smells horrible. Tobacco smoke is the most irritating thing for me on the course. (besides my putting) Especially when some righteous asshole decides to light up on the tee box.
              What about my personal right not to have to smell it?
              and why should someone have the advantage to 'calm down' with a tareen after a bad hole? I would love to burn a fattie when I want to forget about that last hole but that is not an option for me in tourney play.
              "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

smoking is a personal right that should not be squashed. its just smoke, and a few breathes of it here and there is not going to "poison you or kill you" as some has previously stated.
                I'm going to act like that comment was the stupidest thing that was ever said and laugh about it!

Smoking is a personal right, but like the ombudsman pointed out, what about my right to not have to put up with that putrid smell that is cigarette smoke?

Your belief of personal freedom (or right) is forgotten with this subject because you alienate a good portion of the populous that does not like to smell cigarette smoke. We can't just choose to not smell it, it is in the air and pretty much unavoidable even when in the great outdoors!

Comment

Originally posted by The Ombudsman View Post
                  This is an asinine comment. To me, smoke smells horrible. Tobacco smoke is the most irritating thing for me on the course. (besides my putting) Especially when some righteous asshole decides to light up on the tee box.
                  What about my personal right not to have to smell it?
                  and why should someone have the advantage to 'calm down' with a tareen after a bad hole? I would love to burn a fattie when I want to forget about that last hole but that is not an option for me in tourney play.
                  You too have the option to "calm down" with a "tareen". This isn't an argument about using banned substances, its about using a legal substance and the social courtesy that goes along with it.

-righteous asshole
                  A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                    You too have the option to "calm down" with a "tareen". This isn't an argument about using banned substances, its about using a legal substance and the social courtesy that goes along with it.

-righteous asshole
                    You make my point for me. Thanks.

Nobody should be able to use artificial means of adjusting their metabolism or anxiety in tournament play (IMNSHO).
                    That is fair for everyone.
                    "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Originally posted by The Ombudsman View Post
                      You make my point for me. Thanks.

Nobody should be able to use artificial means of adjusting their metabolism or anxiety in tournament play (IMNSHO).
                      That is fair for everyone.
                      The "fair" part, is the fact that you have the option.
                      A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Alcohol is a legal substance and is banned from tournament play.

Should a player be allowed to carry a flask of whisky so they could take a few sips when a bad shot occurs? That would be another option to "calm down" with a "tareen".

Where's the fairness in that? Currently, alcohol is banned and smoking is OK.

The only real difference is that when alcohol gets abused a player then becomes a liability to the course and the tournament experience. But, of course, to some people the non-courteous smokers have the same end result.

Comment

IMO until the PDGA creates and enforces these "professionalism rules", they will not be taken seriously as a "professional sport". Some may not care where the sport is headed in terms of its public acceptance and I respect their desire for the sport, but I personally would like to see it taken more seriously by the general public.
                          Although I do not participate in said activities, I still enjoy playing this sport with many people who "relax" in different ways and to varying degrees. But I resent the fact that when I mention I play discgolf to my "non-golfer" friends they assume that I do. I believe this is a direct result of the reputation this sport has among the general public-fairly given or not.
                          Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
                          Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

I see this gaining momentum. As DG events become broadcasted on the net I really think that TV is not far behind. I'm sorry but players smoking will not help the image of the sport. I smoked for 20 years and recently quit. I'm hoping this helps my game. I don't see it being that big of a deal to play a round and go smoke/drink/dope yourself silly off the course during the break. I would be curious what Dave Feldberg thinks about this. He smokes like a chimney...
                            www.rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by CMC206 View Post
                              I would be curious what Dave Feldberg thinks about this. He smokes like a chimney...
                              Someone may have mentioned this in the thread earlier but the PDGA board members Avery Jenkins and Juliana Korver motioned to ban smoking at the 2011 worlds and it passed with 5 of 6 board members voting for it. Feldy was one of those voting for the ban...

I also wonder if he sees this as a necessary step to legitimizing our "game" as a sport to the public

Comment

I have personally never had a cigarette to my mouth and I don't have anything against smokers. BUT --- I continue to fight for my life every day because of second hand smoke for 8 years now. In the beginning, trying to convince my doctors that I had never smoked was stressful in itself. The doctors wanted to remove my voice box and start extensive chemo because of stupid smoke. People that say second hand smoke doesn't harm anyone need to walk in my shoes for a while. My kids and family have suffered because of second hand smoke. A pack of cigarettes has the same amount of chemicals as a gallon can of paint.
                                I fought for over 4 years for the Smokefree Workplace law and I am armed with all the facts that you need to know.
                                Everyone has their opinion about smoking but unfortunately I have the facts and not by choice.
                                Like I said, I have nothing against smokers, just the tobacco companies who continue to put addictive additives in the cigarettes so you won't quit.
                                PDGA President

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X