X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke Free?

Do you think we'll ever see smoking banned from A and B tier disc golf tournaments?

Do you think more tournament directors will begin to enforce a smoke free tourney central and player's meeting?

Just curious about how folks are responding to this....

Originally posted by Lyounger View Post
    Do you think we'll ever see smoking banned from A and B tier disc golf tournaments?
    I don't think it'll ever happen but would love to see it. More so during the round than at TC.

Comment

I sure hope so. I avoid playing the local weeklies because it is such an issue for me.

CT

Comment

I smoke and will ask the group previous to the start if they mind. It would be rude to assume.

As for it being banned? I could and would play without smoking DURING the round. Between rounds are different.
        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
        Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
          I smoke and will ask the group previous to the start if they mind. It would be rude to assume.

As for it being banned? I could and would play without smoking DURING the round. Between rounds are different.
          Would love to see it. Doubt it will happen.

Comment

I have heard of cities declaring city parks as being a smoke free zone. I have a course near me that was declared no smoking last summer due to fire danger.
            If there is a tournament at one of those parks, you have to follow the local rules or face a penalty.

No smoking may come from rules outside our sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector_2008 View Post
              I have heard of cities declaring city parks as being a smoke free zone. I have a course near me that was declared no smoking last summer due to fire danger.
              If there is a tournament at one of those parks, you have to follow the local rules or face a penalty.

No smoking may come from rules outside our sport.
              That is the case at Orchard Park in Hillsboro. We enforce this rule during Tuesday Twos - a lot of players are not particularly happy about that.

Comment

frankly it makes sense that tourneys be non smoking events as well as TC a smoke free area... and i looooooove smoking, but it still makes sense, even to me...

... a brief note on asking if people mind... most people are very polite and will always say "go ahead" even if they don't mean it... it's awkward to say "no"...
                "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                  ... a brief note on asking if people mind... most people are very polite and will always say "go ahead" even if they don't mean it... it's awkward to say "no"...
                  This could be the case but if they say yes and really mean no, thats not my issue. That seems like a backbone issue with the player themselves. These are probably the same people that will see a ridiculous foot fault and not say anything because they don't want to rock the boat.

If somebody says no, that is totally fine with me. If they were to go off on a tirade about how smoking is the worst evil (even more so than the Bush Administration), we may have an problem...
                  "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                  Cleveland Brown

Comment

From the PDGA January Board meeting minutes:

K2/Medicinal Marijuana Discussion Nesbitt
                    The use of K2 and other similar synthetic smoking products during competition was discussed. The
                    discussion evolved to whether smoking should be prohibited at PDGA events. The board felt that if
                    enacted, the restriction should be implemented at PDGA Majors first.

MOTION (Korver/Jenkins)
                    Restrict smoking at the PDGA Pro and Am World Championships in 2011 in the same manner that
                    alcohol is currently restricted.
                    Yes: Andrews, Korver, Jenkins, Feldberg, Nesbitt
                    No: Decker
                    Motion passes 5-1.
                    Regards,

Todd Andrews

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Andrews View Post
                      From the PDGA January Board meeting minutes:

MOTION (Korver/Jenkins)
                      Restrict smoking at the PDGA Pro and Am World Championships in 2011 in the same manner that
                      alcohol is currently restricted.
                      Motion passes 5-1.
                      Awesome! Thanks for the update Todd (and for voting the way I would).

Comment

Guiding rounds here at Mud, I'm almost never asked by smokers. Smoke hits me hard (COPD or sensitive airway syndrom, I'm not sure). Even getting a whiff from fifty feet away starts my bronchials to weeping and I must cough. This is my worst time of year for reacting, now through the summer. Still bothers in winter, but not as much. We had a glow round last Saturday and with the wind blowing our way, the Neighbor From Hell (NFH) lit off a pile of plastic that smoked late into the night. It sure ruined my fun.
                        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

What to do??

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                          frankly it makes sense that tourneys be non smoking events as well as TC a smoke free area... and i looooooove smoking, but it still makes sense, even to me...
                          I have found almost every person (with rare exception) has been courteous about following the rules during our rounds. It is their responsibility to make sure their smoke does not disrupt others...I've been very impressed and very grateful for this.

Unfortunately at tourney central there seems to be almost no consideration about how someone's smoke disrupts the area.

It is extremely difficult for someone to get close enough to hear at the player's meeting, access the scoreboard and scorecards, and socialize with friends without being exposed to second-hand smoke.

I am extremely sensitive to smoke due to accute sinusitis. Trying to avoid smoke at tourney central is a nightmare and it definitely causes me stress. I've accepted that I have to miss out on a lot of the visiting....but I don't want to miss out on vital information at the player's meeting and have to wait till the smoke is clear to grab the cards or check out the scoreboard.

Unfortunately, it seems way too unreasonable to ban something that is a major factor for so many players. Maybe a compromise could be reached instead. Maybe TDs will set up a "smoking area" or a "smoking side" at tourney central so everyone has the ability to be near the vital information.

Comment

i dont think it would be right to ban smoking during events. i assume we are talking cigarettes/cigars here since the "other" smoking is already banned. i only very rarely indulge on a cigar, so i am not a smoker whinning. people should have the right to smoke if they want to. all this "no smoking in this or that place" really rubs me the wrong way. for petes sake it is out in the open, not like indoors where i can see that second hand smoke would be a issue.

i would rather see a ban of peeing in the woods at courses than banning smoking. the whole peeing whenever you can on a course is just rediculous.
                            Team HOSER:dancing:
                            Team OLY:cheerleader:
                            Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Fertilizer is preferable to toxic vapors IMHO.

I had a couple of smokers here on the weekend. I thought they had picked up on my going ahead or having them go ahead, depending on the breeze, because they stopped lighting up. It wasn't to be nice, it was because they were sharing a pack and had run out. When we passed the cottage on the way to our last three holes, they got the resupply of ciggies and fired up full blast.
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X