X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Meters.

If your disc lands on the circle, do you have to display balance? As in, the front of your disc is in the circle, but behind your disc (playable lie) is out. How do you go about this as a rule? Can your mark outside and use a putt jump (even if you don't need to), or must you display balance before finishing up.

Had a few instances of this at the D.R.O. this weekend and it would be nice to have a clarification. I heard it both ways so I wait for Chuck to give the final decision.
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

If you do not mark your lie with a mini, then you are within the rules to jump putt, fall forward, etc. from behind your disc.
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
      If your disc lands on the circle, do you have to display balance? As in, the front of your disc is in the circle, but behind your disc (playable lie) is out. How do you go about this as a rule? Can your mark outside and use a putt jump (even if you don't need to), or must you display balance before finishing up.

Had a few instances of this at the D.R.O. this weekend and it would be nice to have a clarification. I heard it both ways so I wait for Chuck to give the final decision.
      The rule for displaying balance (i.e. stepping forward after putting) applies to your actualy lie. Your actual lie is either the back of your disc or the back of your marker placed in front of your disc (if you chose to mark your disc or are required to by the rules). So, for a disc where the front is inside the circle, and the back is out, you can choose to not mark the disc and thus step forward after putting from that lie.

Comment

The 10m from the pole is measured to the back edge of what you determine is your marker whether it be a mini or the disc you just threw. So if only part of your disc is inside 10m, you could leave your disc as the marker and be allowed to putt jump or fall forward, etc.

Comment

to add more...If your lie is just barely inside the circle, you are not allowed to step forward after putting even if your feet happen to be just outside the circle when taking a stance.

Comment

Your lie is the point directly behind your disc, or if you place a marker, it becomes the point directly behind your marker. The key word is "point", even though you are allowed to be up to 30cm directly behind your lie, your lie is dictated by the infinitely small "point". If your "point" is inside 10m, then you must show balance before proceeding. If your lie is outside of 10m then you can "jump". If your "point" is on the 2" line that was painted, then you should use your tape measure (that every disc golf carries with them) and measure for yourself.

On a side note.... the 10m rule is the most useless rule in disc golf, and should be removed from the rule book immediately! Who carries a tape measure?!?!?!
            A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

And I'd like to know who on this forum thinks they could make more putts if they were allowed to jump inside the circle!

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny B View Post
                And I'd like to know who on this forum thinks they could make more putts if they were allowed to jump inside the circle!
                Kenny, you saw my horrendous putting yesterday! I might just be willing to try anything!
                Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
                Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

Even if you can, what's wrong with making more putts?

Agreed, though. As long as a person doesn't land, then throw, or step forward, then throw, and the disc is released in the air, then whatever. Though I can envision someone with a 20 foot run up, jumping as high/far as they can, and slam dunking the basket. This might be a problem......

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                    Your lie is the point directly behind your disc, or if you place a marker, it becomes the point directly behind your marker. The key word is "point", even though you are allowed to be up to 30cm directly behind your lie, your lie is dictated by the infinitely small "point". If your "point" is inside 10m, then you must show balance before proceeding. If your lie is outside of 10m then you can "jump". If your "point" is on the 2" line that was painted, then you should use your tape measure (that every disc golf carries with them) and measure for yourself.

On a side note.... the 10m rule is the most useless rule in disc golf, and should be removed from the rule book immediately! Who carries a tape measure?!?!?!
                    -Ahem-

(Actually I have found a thick string with a magnet on the end to be quick, easy, light, and compact.)

One year at Worlds, tape measures were part of the player packs! They even bore the tournament logo.
                    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                      -Ahem-

(Actually I have found a thick string with a magnet on the end to be quick, easy, light, and compact.)

One year at Worlds, tape measures were part of the player packs! They even bore the tournament logo.
                      I've always thought you were unique Gawain....
                      A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                        -Ahem-

This is great, I have been thinking about adding a string (with a loop on on end for quick attachment, though magnet is even better) to my bag for a while.

Mostly I think I would use it during casual rounds to show Hanley that he really is further away than I am. Also I think it would come in handy for quick CTP determinations - for example ever watch when a lot of people are throwing off for a CTP after a round and everyone is down by the basket trying to pace off heel to toe a couple discs that are within a foot of each other?

A string would do the trick in all these situations.

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                          I've always thought you were unique Gawain....
                          Always nice to string along with him (even if you're not a jump putter).
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I believe the rule initially got its start when people would literally do "falling putts." They would be 10 feet out, fall, and release the disc when they were much closer to the basket. Pretty easy to gain 5 feet, and it looks retarded.
                            We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

That was Stork in maybe 1974.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X