Epic Illegal? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
    I post the official approved disc list so if it's still on there, then it's legal: http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-approved-discs-pdf
    I don't think you could have been more clear... thank you!
    When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

    Comment


    • #17
      The real question is, who in thier right mind would throw the Epic in a tourniment?
      Throw What You Know.
      "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
      PDGA# 45989

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
        The real question is, who in thier right mind would throw the Epic in a tourniment?
        Someone with a strong thumb, a big arm, and a good rotator cuff.
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
          The real question is, who in thier right mind would throw the Epic in a tourniment?
          I happen to have the answer to that question. This guy:

          http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/41218/2011

          Notice his current rating is 970.

          I was lucky enough to get to play a round with him at DeLaveaga about three years ago. He carries several Epics and can throw them 400 feet plus using an overhand throw similar to throwing a baseball. In fact he used to be a baseball pitcher. It seems that a lot of guys that like the Epic used to be baseball pitchers. He would throw it high just like he was throwing in from deep outfield to homeplate and it would corkscrew about three times and then pull out and glide in steep, fast, and straight right at the basket. It was an incredible thing to see. He also swears by the Aerobie Arrow for putting. All I can say about that is he is a much better putter than I am!

          Comment


          • #20
            I'd say it's the Indian, not the arrow.
            Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

            Comment


            • #21
              I bought one of those at Fredmeyer about a year ago, threw for 1-week, then took it back with no regrets. I'm sure it is a great disc for someone, but not me. I can throw my Wraith or Xcaliber twice as far as the epic with a thumber/tomohawk. I say who cares if they approved it or grandfathered in, the person who throws it well could probably do better with an overstable Innova, Discraft, or other well known brand anyway. I would consider that disc a detriment to their game, over an edge. But I'm sure someone has a cousin, who's brother in law's mother threw it 400' once. :-) Can someone name a local, well known player, who swears by this disc? I would love to hear what they have to say, and see them throw this disc 400-450'.
              PDGA# 49616
              Stumptown# 353
              OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

              Comment


              • #22
                I am a local player from Bremerton, but I don't know about the well known part...
                Anyway, I have an Epic in my bag and I use it for down hill big right turns such as Fairgrounds #1 and Whatever number at Steilly has the big mando tree directly in front of you which you have to go left of, but the basket is about 300 feet to the right.
                As has been said before, if you throw it similar to a Hammer throw it will flip over twice, stall out at about 100 feet in the air, take a hard right turn and then glide for 250-300 feet depending on how you threw it before it stalled out.
                I don't have a decent enough Annie shot (or monster forehand) to make the same shot otherwise.
                If nothing else, it is just fun to watch! Especially if people did not see that I pulled that specific disc out of my bag.
                Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
                Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

                Comment


                • #23
                  some of the coolest looking shots i have seen have been from people throwing Epic's. I found one and couldnt throw the stupid thing. Funny my friend who uses one used to be a baseball pitcher also lol.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by jdinteg View Post
                    I bought one of those at Fredmeyer about a year ago, threw for 1-week, then took it back with no regrets. I'm sure it is a great disc for someone, but not me. I can throw my Wraith or Xcaliber twice as far as the epic with a thumber/tomohawk. I say who cares if they approved it or grandfathered in, the person who throws it well could probably do better with an overstable Innova, Discraft, or other well known brand anyway. I would consider that disc a detriment to their game, over an edge. But I'm sure someone has a cousin, who's brother in law's mother threw it 400' once. :-) Can someone name a local, well known player, who swears by this disc? I would love to hear what they have to say, and see them throw this disc 400-450'.
                    Try Lane Mason PDGA# 11935, maybe you have heard of him. He is a local pro and a 400-450 foot throw by him would be a let down! Sure he can throw a lot of other cool discs and he putts really well, but he likes to dabble in the epic. If you don't know him ask around and you might find a youtube video or two.

                    Just because this disc is not the disc of choice by most people does not mean we should pass judgment on its use.
                    PDGA #25296
                    Stumptown #34

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
                      I'd say it's the Indian, not the arrow.
                      Dude, try the Epic thumber with any other disc and you won't get the crazy flip and FLY like the Epic.
                      Also the Arrow is well named, stable to over stable disc but put in on a line with enough spin and it's like it's on rails. Or a frozen rope. Or a rail gun. Or some thing that flys really really really really really straight. Super dope sidearm approach disc. Gave mine to a friend after he shot a 120' plus mid STRAIGHT into the basket. Crazy cool technical engineering behind both those discs. Their plastic gets trashed really fast on sharps but I think I'm going to try and find a max weight one somewhere.
                      What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I have to eat some Crow here. I was at lunchtime in PDX. Someone was throwing an Epic, and he was from the Astoria area. He threw this big thumber in to the right when the hole was left and I just about said a snide remark. Then I watched that disc cork screw in the air, stall, then turn LEFT! It then glided in to just by the basket for a birdie. The light came on and I realized I could throw a thumber for a tomahawk flight with that goofy disc. I bought another one and wrote my name on it to force myself to learn it and not take it back this time. I do not like this disc for a standard back hand or forehand, but it is magical for me as a thumber since I cannot throw a tomahawk to save my life.
                        PDGA# 49616
                        Stumptown# 353
                        OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by The Course Bro View Post
                          Dude, try the Epic thumber with any other disc and you won't get the crazy flip and FLY like the Epic.
                          Also the Arrow is well named, stable to over stable disc but put in on a line with enough spin and it's like it's on rails. Or a frozen rope. Or a rail gun. Or some thing that flys really really really really really straight. Super dope sidearm approach disc. Gave mine to a friend after he shot a 120' plus mid STRAIGHT into the basket. Crazy cool technical engineering behind both those discs. Their plastic gets trashed really fast on sharps but I think I'm going to try and find a max weight one somewhere.

                          I never said that the Epic can't be thrown super far, or be a useful tool to some-- in fact I didn't even mention it. The furthest thumber that I've ever thrown was with an Epic- was injured, so playing RH I threw a flip-n-fly thumber that parked hole 7 at Seatac. Cool looking 'cheater' shot, but way too unpredictable to ever make the bag in my opinion.

                          The arrow, on the other hand, is anything but a 'super dope' disc IMHO. Contrary to popular belief, if you hand someone a disc and they make a good throw, it does not automatically make that a good disc or the right disc for that person. If you made a top ten list for worst ever pdga approved discs, the arrow would be right up there with the turbo putter in my book.
                          Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

                          Comment

                          Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X