X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Illegal?

Did the PDGA outlaw the use of the Aerobee Epic this year in tournament play?
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

Not that I know of. Where did you see that?

Comment

That is what I had heard. I thought I had read it somewhere on one of the many disc golf blogs around here. Perhaps it was a consideration? Question is, how is it even legal? It doesn't conform to a lot of the standards.
      Cleveland Brown

Comment

Epic was "grandfathered" before the new standards were in updated that made it fall outside of specs. I post the official approved disc list so if it's still on there, then it's legal: http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-approved-discs-pdf

Comment

Epic illegal? More like Epic fail.
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Epic is Legal. New regulations make a disc illegal if it has a non-concentic rim (not centered) but the Epic was grandfathered. Therefore it is on the list that was previously posted.
            This is my understanding anyway...
            Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
            Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

I love how in Disc Golf a disc produced/added to the PDGA approved list is considered "grandfathered" from 2003... or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonH View Post
                I love how in Disc Golf a disc produced/added to the PDGA approved list is considered "grandfathered" from 2003... or am I missing something?
                Huh?
                When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
                  Huh?

The Epic was approved by the PDGA way back in 'ought three.
                  Ancient times, like the Mesopotamian era.

I remember back then, Innova used to have this nice candy plastic, I think it was called C.E., or something.

Comment

The disc standards that made the Epic fall outside the guidelines were updated effective Jan 1, 2008. So all discs approved prior to that date were grandfathered that fell outside any of the new specs. However, I think the Epic may have been one of the only discs that fell outside the new specs at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                      The disc standards that made the Epic fall outside the guidelines were updated effective Jan 1, 2008. So all discs approved prior to that date were grandfathered that fell outside any of the new specs. However, I think the Epic may have been one of the only discs that fell outside the new specs at that time.
                      So what we are saying is that we have a disc that is illegal by today standards yet isn't because it was made before the rule change? This is ludicrous. That should also mean that the turbo putter should be legal since it WAS legal till the PDGA took away it's approval.
                      Cleveland Brown

Comment

So what we are saying is that we have a disc that is illegal by today standards yet isn't because it was made before the rule change? This is ludicrous. That should also mean that the turbo putter should be legal since it WAS legal till the PDGA took away it's approval.
                        Of course you played right into the follow up. The Turbo Putt was mistakenly approved by the Tech group due to a more liberal perception of what a "circular disc" meant. The Board determined that a circle could not have scallops and really needed to be a circle as stated in the specs existing at that time. The updated specs after that incident simply made that more clear. In addition, approvals were moved to the Board rather than just the Tech group to make sure similar misinterpretations didn't occur in the future. The Turbo shouldn't have been approved and that issue was resolved appropriately with the manufacturer.

The Board has every right to grandfather products that were made before the standards changed in the same way you can't be charged by a new law placed in effect after you did something that was legal at the time. There are targets that are currently grandfathered as Championship targets that do not yet meet all of the standards updated in February 2009. However, the specs on these targets and the Epic cannot be modified by the manufacturers without the modified versions meeting the new specs.

Comment

Is the Epic just an eccentricity?
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                            Of course you played right into the follow up. The Turbo Putt was mistakenly approved by the Tech group due to a more liberal perception of what a "circular disc" meant. The Board determined that a circle could not have scallops and really needed to be a circle as stated in the specs existing at that time. The updated specs after that incident simply made that more clear. In addition, approvals were moved to the Board rather than just the Tech group to make sure similar misinterpretations didn't occur in the future. The Turbo shouldn't have been approved and that issue was resolved appropriately with the manufacturer.

The Board has every right to grandfather products that were made before the standards changed in the same way you can't be charged by a new law placed in effect after you did something that was legal at the time. There are targets that are currently grandfathered as Championship targets that do not yet meet all of the standards updated in February 2009. However, the specs on these targets and the Epic cannot be modified by the manufacturers without the modified versions meeting the new specs.
                            Well, that actually makes a lot of sense. I don't use either disc so it never bothers me. Thank you Chuck for the clarifications.
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Is the Epic just an eccentricity?
                              Definitely off-centric...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X