Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't wait till the PDGA does one of two things.

1.) Eliminates the ability to step/jump putt. Really, just develop a strong spin putt for those type of situations.
    2.) Eliminates the 10m circle so the argument if you were in or out, can i putt jump, etc will cease to be an issue.

I do putt jump, I do not do it if I have other options. It's a weapon and a curse at the same time.
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
      2.) Eliminates the 10m circle so the argument if you were in or out, can i putt jump, etc will cease to be an issue.
      Would you also eliminate all follow throughs for any shot not off the tee pad?
      Read this ^

Comment

1.) Eliminates the ability to step/jump putt. Really, just develop a strong spin putt for those type of situations.
        That would mean you couldn't follow through on drives either. Where would you draw the line?

Comment

I would say there would be a huge difference between a putt and a drive. A follow through on a drive is necessary to eliminate injury. A person trying to argue they were following through for a drive from 45 feet would probably lose that argument.
          Cleveland Brown

Comment

I would say there would be a huge difference between a putt and a drive. A follow through on a drive is necessary to eliminate injury. A person trying to argue they were following through for a drive from 45 feet would probably lose that argument.
            What about 60 ft? Can you see where this is going?

Comment

How about keeping the current 10 meter rule (possible increase to 15 meters) and change the wording in regards to the release of a disc.

For example, "The disc must be released prior to contacting any playing surface in front the player's lie."

Does it really matter if the disc was released two feet closer to the basket from a lie 45 feet away?

Comment

Originally posted by Yardbird View Post
                How about keeping the current 10 meter rule (possible increase to 15 meters) and change the wording in regards to the release of a disc.

For example, "The disc must be released prior to contacting any playing surface in front the player's lie."

Does it really matter if the disc was released two feet closer to the basket from a lie 45 feet away?
                I think that the wording would definitely cause more of an issue. For example, would tall grass be considered a playing surface? Because there are tons of courses that would have that issue. Or doing it out of a bush? Even though you are not moving anything in front of your lie, you are touching things to the sides of your lie.

The only way I see to eliminate it is to eliminate the ability to jump/step putt entirely. Perhaps put posts up at 20 meters and say that's the follow through limit. Anything inside that should be a stand and deliver for either approach or putt.

And yes, two feet on a 45 foot putt can make a huge difference. It can be the difference between an obstacle in your way and a clear shot.
                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Yeah, the wording could be better. I made the post fairly quick. Grass and brush would have to be considered. It would have to be further defined by no supporting contact in front of the lie prior to release or something like that.

In regards to the two feet issue, I disagree that it is hugh advantage. As long as a player doesn't run up, jump, and throw, meaning only starting the throwing motion from the lie. The release timing would be the equalizer in making it fair. Have you ever tried to accurately make a putt in mid air while jumping? It is very hard. Of course, enough practice could improve the technique. Yes, the two feet could have advantage in getting around obstacles by giving a player a chance at making a shot that would otherwise not be there. Players with longer arms and a better skill base also have an advantage.

Also, 20 meters would be too far out to have to show balance after a throw. 15 meters would be more fair if the rules were to be modified to allow jump putting (releasing the disc past your lie with no run-up).

Comment

Maybe that's what our sport needs. Just turn putting into a more layup/slam dunk drill. He who can jump the furthest from their lie will dominate....

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedisc View Post
                      Maybe that's what our sport needs. Just turn putting into a more layup/slam dunk drill. He who can jump the furthest from their lie will dominate....
                      As an official representative of the coalition of the tallest one percent of disc golfers, we are unaminously in favor of this proposed rule change.

We feel this rule change will help even out the advantage that our vertically challenged disc brethren have over us on all low ceilinged tees fairways and greens.

Thank you for your sympathy towards our condition and please don't hesitate to ask for help if you happen to find your disc stuck in a tree.
                      Read this ^

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedisc View Post

Playing with some people has made me consider getting a phone with video. Instant replay on the fly. I see a slew of folks having to change to a legal putt!

Comment

Keep it simple.

1) Show balance after the release inside 10 meters. (current rules)

2) 10 to 20 meters, a player shall not have a supporting point in front of the lie until the disc is released. NO RUN-UPs.

3) Outside of 20 meters, current rules apply.

Of course, some slam dunk action could be exciting. I would love to some of them bounce out.

Comment

Originally posted by Yardbird View Post
                            1) Show balance after the release inside 10 meters. (current rules)
                            I find that this is really open to intpretation. I tend to let my leg fly behind me when I put and will hold that pose for a couple of seconds before walking forward. I believe that demonstates balance. Others claim that you can only show balance by having both feet firmly on the ground (I disagree).

A lot of people don't understand this rule at all. I've been called for a falling putt because I advanced to the basket before the disc was at rest in the basket.

Comment

I follow the pick up the mini routine to display balance. I do the ballerina pose, lean down while my back foot is still in the air, pick up my mini, stand back up and then progress forward. If that doesn't display balance, I don't know what would.
                              Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X