X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Registration

When did the board decide to stop allowing other online registration outfits to have a link on the PDGA schedule?

I provide another choice to TD's in the northwest for their event's online registration with Northwest Sign-Ups. Although I'm still deeply in the red, I support both northwest disc golf events & players with this online reg business. I am able to provide online registration to non-sanctioned events and I am working on providing a very detailed "who's registered" list to the site within a couple months.

As a disc golfer who embraces the PDGA and also tries to find ways to keep northwest money in the northwest, I find this to be a slap in the face.

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Should I be looking at this differently?

Mike Rideout
    WA ST Approved PDGA Schedule

4DiscGolf - a tournament directors best friend!!!

Tournament Directors - register your event HERE

I should have posted this as well...

In an email I received today from Karolyn O'Cull (PDGA office manager),

"At this time the Board of Directors has voted to not allow outside online registration links to be posted to the schedule anymore."

Comment

From the pdga board meeting minutes of Jan. 11th..

Links to Non-PDGA Online Registration Sites Ė Nesbitt
      Nesbitt reminded the board that it was decided at the fall summit that links to outside online registration
      services would no longer be provided on the PDGA online event schedule beginning in 2011. The board
      discussed whether the decision they made should be reconsidered but ultimately decided that they did not
      want to readdress the topic.

I agree with you Mike. I think the pdga should attract TDs to use their online reg. service by being competitive, not by restricting the link. As it is now a player needs to click on the event and then click on the tourney website to find the online registration.

Comment

My response on the PDGA boards can be found: HERE
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I got your back Mike.

Comment

That is correct what Hagerty said, limiting only PDGA sign up to the PDGA schedule is a kind of monopoly, however that is their choice to limit the workload of the people who set the schedule up with the links etc I would assume? However, PDGA makes money off the sanctioned event anyways so yes there should be an option and spread the wealth within the disc golf community. The PDGA's finances are doing sooooooooo well that there are several things that the PDGA could change to benefit the disc golf community instead of worrying about making more money in areas such as online registration control.... just my opinion...

Comment

Yikes,

What kills me is that I've run several events and used multiple online registration processes, and northwestsignup is by far the best service I've used. Titledisc was slow and dificult to comunicate with. PDGA was just plain aweful...sorry Breiner, but I expected a lot more. Mike has been great at communicating and has followed through with every promise he has made to me.

Support DG business in the NW, use NorthWestSignUp for your event!

Dion
              Team DISCRAFT
              NW Sign Up
              Gorilla Boy
              Paragon Disc Golf
              Odwalla

Comment

I read the pDGA has a one year budget surplus Basically if we all quit they still have 12 months worth of our money to try and survive. As the norm most non profits have only a 90 day surplus.
                rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                  I read the pDGA has a one year budget surplus Basically if we all quit they still have 12 months worth of our money to try and survive. As the norm most non profits have only a 90 day surplus.

I think its a bummer that the PDGA isn't advertising for competing online sign ups on their website because it directly affects a great supporter of NW disc golf (Rideout). But, I don't advertise my competition (who has better service and lower prices) on MY website! It wouldn't benefit my business.

I'm a big fan of the PDGA actually having money to work with. The more money they have, the more power they have to benefit disc golf.
                  A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

There's only one click difference between PDGA and alternate online sign-up services since there are Event Info and Website links on the Tournament page that the TD can direct wherever they wish. The payment performance of some alternate online sign-up services has been spotty. The PDGA service has never defaulted and is not likely to but other services have missed or not made payments to TDs. As a TD, where do you trust that you'll get your money the service collects for you?

Comment

That seems like a very reasonable explanation... and with the one-click difference it still allows for alternate sign-up services to compete.

Comment

I do not think the PDGA did anything wrong, but I do think they made a bad move. I will continue to support the PDGA the way I always have; I think the PDGA does a lot of good for the growth of competitive disc golf.

I like to think that when northwest TDís contact me about their eventís online registration, they can feel comforted by the fact (in most cases) that they know the person on the other end of the phone or email. Most TDís in the northwest know me by name and if they havenít actually camped out in my backyard for an event at Steily, they probably know someone who has; therefore, they know where I live and can hunt me down if the funds arenít delivered on time.

On two separate occasions in 2010, I was able to help my customerís event get a few more registrations by keeping registration open until Friday evening and then hand delivering the eventís cash to the TD in the morning.

Northwest Sign-Ups also donated to several events in 2010 with either cash or tourney supplies.

Northwest Sign-Ups has not missed a payment.

Northwest Sign-Ups is a small-time/regional business looking to support players, courses, events, and the general growth of disc golf in the northwest. Iím not mad about the PDGAís move to make other online registration outfits less desirable, but I am calling out to the TDís in the northwest to seek me out and support Northwest Sign-Ups and you will see Northwest Sign-Ups support northwest disc golf.

Mike Rideout

Comment

This thread was brought to my attention (along with a related thread on the PDGA Discussion board). This seems a more appropriate place to answer questions. Why people post some of the things they do on an Association message board, I will never understand. Seems counter productive in many instances.

While we are limited in what we can do on www.pdga.com, I think you would be hard pressed to find many that would question the level of service, for the services and sites 'we' actually control / run.

I think if you look back through messages in **this** forum, you will find a record of incredibly good service. This is actually the only club related message board that I have ever posted on. I have personally provided instant feedback, stats, and answered questions -- when appropriate -- to help streamline some of your biggest and fastest filling events.

Most clubs and events will never even come close to requiring the level of service that some of your events require... which should read as a complement in many ways.

-----

I and we are both used below. I is me [Breiner], and we is my company.

In response to ryangwillim (Portland, OR) regarding the following post (found in the PDGA thread) :

"I will never use the PDGA signup process. It charges the players too much money (I was told that signing up for the Memorial was a $7 service fee this year?!), and I've heard nightmares from other TDs trying to get player's lists and other info from whomever runs it (I think Breiner?)."

1. "I will never use... It charges the players too much" -- While yourself and Peter Shive keep quoting the events with the HIGHEST ENTRY FEES, do you bother to notice that events like Ice Bowls, C-Tiers, and many B-Tiers average $2.50-4.00 [handling]. The handling fee is directly related to the average entry fee amount [for each event] (w/ a minimum of $2.00).

Working for FREE is not sustainable over time. I think 99.9% of people realize this. We (and other sign up services) loose money on almost all of the smaller events. It takes time to set them up, process entries, write checks, etc.. If you actually take the time to think about it closely, I think the question you are more likely to ask is HOW CAN WE PROVIDE THE SERVICE AT ALL / WHY WOULD WE WANT TO.
                          -- Answer: Because I saw a need, and WANTED to build a better system. I won't come close to breaking even for years. Don't really ever care if I do. That's my risk, and one I am willing to take -- largely b/c I just felt like doing it.
                          -- The vast majority of the 'handling fee' goes straight to the credit card companies. I paid VISA, MC, AMEX and DISCOVER almost $200,000.00 last year for the "right" to accept credit cards (company wide). Yep, that would all be PROFIT if everyone paid in cash or by check. Cash used to be king. Not any more. Credit rules the world.

2. Quit speculating, and simply go look up the information. "I was told... Memorial... $7.00..." -- It's not hard to look up
                          - PRO side $8.75
                          - AM side $4.75
                          They differ b/c the events have VERY DIFFERENT ENTRY FEES.

3. "I've heard nightmares" -- Send me the names of the Tournament Directors or have them call me. I find this incredibly hard to believe, but will gladly apologize to them if that's the way they feel. If they truly feel the way you have described, then I WANT THE FEEDBACK.
                          - This is the type of statement best avoided when trying to make a point. If the person(s) who supposedly feel slighted don't bring it to our attention, then effectively they (and those on their behalf [who have 'heard something through the grapevine'] have no legitimate right to complain.
                          - One of two things happens with this type of statement:
                          -- Either it never happened or simply was not big enough to mention [to me]
                          OR
                          -- It did happen, and the person complaining did NOTHING to help improve the system, service, situation [in/for the future].

I think you will find we are exceptionally good at meeting specific requests, fixing something that needs fixing (it could be something we have never even thought about fixing), and building in features that make everyones life easier.

BOTTOM LINE: If 'you [the collective]' don't / won't call me directly (I'm pretty easy to reach), then you give up your right to complain [IMO].

I think in reality, most [most means NOT 100% -- We will NEVER be able to please everyone] Tournament Directors will report service above and beyond -- at all hours (damn near 24 hours a day / 365 -- since 1998).

EXAMPLE: While we are on the East Coast, will still close WEST COAST events at or after 8pm PST (and most times after 11-12pm PST)... allowing players to sign up after work, etc.

Find anyone else working for the PDGA or YOU at 1-4am PST.

-----

From another post by Rideout...

"Northwest Sign-Ups is a small-time/regional business looking to support players, courses, events, and the general growth of disc golf in the northwest. I’m not mad about the PDGA’s move to make other online registration outfits less desirable, but I am calling out to the TD’s in the northwest to seek me out and support Northwest Sign-Ups and you will see Northwest Sign-Ups support northwest disc golf."

In general this is a productive statement (as opposed to the other example above). It's clear, and has a specific call to action.

"... they can feel comforted by the fact (in most cases) that they know the person on the other end of the phone or email."
                          - While I don't know every TD personally, I have certainly met a good majority of them (across the country) over the years. Comfort certainly helps with trust... an example of why LOCAL is sometimes better for some people.

"Northwest Sign-Ups has not missed a payment."
                          - I would expect no less. Reality is, this has not always been the case across other services (most of which effectively no longer exist). Large reason I chose to 'build a better service'.

"Northwest Sign-Ups also donated to several events in 2010 with either cash or tourney supplies."
                          - Very cool.

"...by keeping registration open until Friday evening and then hand delivering the event’s cash to the TD in the morning..."
                          - Great example of why LOCAL is sometimes better. Have done so locally myself. Not always feasible.

-----

Complaining is largely unproductive. Help build a BETTER system instead(regardless of which sign up system you use).

Anyone is welcome to give me a call anytime at 1-888-596-9347.

Breiner
                          1-888-596-9347

Comment

Excellent post Breiner. So the main reason that the board of the PDGA decided to stop allowing other online services be linked directly to the schedule was because problems related to their services were taking place and it was impacting PDGA sanctioned tournaments in a bad way?

Comment

That's What I'm Talking About!

Fantastic post Todd, thanks for taking the time to do that!

I have handled registration for the last three Calapooia Classicís and have used PDGAsignup online registrations for all three. My experience in dealing with Todd Breiner and his company has been as seamless as you could ask for. Any hiccups like duplicate player entries were resolved quickly the next day. Heck thatís the only hiccup I can think ofÖ
                              Thanks again Todd you provide a fantastic service to the PDGA and PDGA tournament TDís.

David

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X