X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    I've always heard that you should take a provisonal if you even think your disc may be lost, as a speed of play issue.
    THANK YOU!

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
    Or does here stand the last remaining man
    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
    Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

As long as you clearly declare that the throw is a provisional before throwing it, it will not count as a practice throw. Provisionals are used when they would increase speed of play, to get a later ruling when the ruling by the group is not clear or cannot be made, or at the player's discretion if he wants to appeal a group or official ruling.

Comment

Did I miss the throw/distance rule? What does that mean exactly?
        Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf
          There was rumor of a rule change that would make a player re-throw from their previous lie if their disc went OB. The player would subsequently lose; stroke and distance.

They implemented this rule at the 2010 USDGC. The rumor was that USDGC was the trial run before implementing it into PDGA rule books.

It doesn't look like it made it into the books....
          But throw and distance is the rule for a lost disc. That change was implemented a couple of years ago to save the argument of trying to guess where the disc might have last been in bounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            But throw and distance is the rule for a lost disc. That change was implemented a couple of years ago to save the argument of trying to guess where the disc might have last been in bounds.
            Your right, I had to re read Jordans post to see he was talking about Lost Disc and Not OB disc
            A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

I see I have confused differing topics.
              Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Formerly "last been seen" for lost disc. Has been an option when a player goes OB since 2002 rulebook.

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
                  I see I have confused differing topics.
                  Sorry for the confusion between Lost Disc and OB as the title of this thread designates.

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                  Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                  Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                  Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                  Or does here stand the last remaining man
                  To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                  No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                  Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                  Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Great link, very informative and easy to understand, just the other day in a small event I had someone try and tell me I HAD to take the full one meter relief, and now I can say with confidence, that is not the case.
                    PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                    dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

The provisional throw definitely comes into play more often in mountain golf tourneys. I felt like many players were misinterpreting/bending this rule at the Mountain High Tourney last summer. It's my understanding that if your first drive goes deep into the tree line, and you subsequently throw a 'provisional', that you must make an honest effort to find your disc. Many players were making zero effort to find their first drives. Hypothetically, a player could save several strokes by not looking for their 'lost' disc. Should it be a 'group' decision whether or not a player/group should make an effort to find the disc?
                      Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
                        The provisional throw definitely comes into play more often in mountain golf tourneys. I felt like many players were misinterpreting/bending this rule at the Mountain High Tourney last summer. It's my understanding that if your first drive goes deep into the tree line, and you subsequently throw a 'provisional', that you must make an honest effort to find your disc. Many players were making zero effort to find their first drives. Hypothetically, a player could save several strokes by not looking for their 'lost' disc. Should it be a 'group' decision whether or not a player/group should make an effort to find the disc?
                        I see where you are going with this Toby, but how many discs can a player lose and still be in contention? The player is still throwing 3 off the tee. I have thrown disc's and pretty much left them without even looking (cape fear/ 4 mound dgc). Sometimes its in the best interest of the group and the tourney (speed of play) to let them go.
                        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
                          Toby, see rule 803.06 (Optional Rethrow). You do not have to look for a potentially lost disc. You always have the option to rethrow from your original spot if that seems to be a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by KenGilmore View Post
                            Toby, see rule 803.06 (Optional Rethrow). You do not have to look for a potentially lost disc. You always have the option to rethrow from your original spot if that seems to be a better option.
                            Exactly. That's an example where the Optional Rethrow is especially important - to save time plus wear & tear on all the players in the group who aren't forced to go into areas where they might get ripped up.

Comment

803.06 Unplayable Lie
                              Not exactly the same situation. I'm talking about a disc thrown into a treeline that wouldn't be impossible to find, nor unplayable. I definitely see the value of the provisional throw, especially in certain terrain. When a player has determined to throw a 'provisional' throw, should they have to state whether or shot #1 is unplayable, or ?
                              It seems that a group decision should be made prior to the provisional throw, as to whether throw #1 is unplayable.

Here is a hypothetical scenario:

300 steep downhill hole. Player A--Throw #1 goes 500 feet past basket into lightly wooded area-- 40% chance group may find disc. Provisional throw goes 400 feet past the basket into same area.

Player A will definitely be looking for drive #1...

Player B-- throw #1 goes 500 ft past the basket. Damn headwind! Provisional throw is a hole-in-two.

Does Player B have to look for drive #1?

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                                I see where you are going with this Toby, but how many discs can a player lose and still be in contention? The player is still throwing 3 off the tee. I have thrown disc's and pretty much left them without even looking (cape fear/ 4 mound dgc). Sometimes its in the best interest of the group and the tourney (speed of play) to let them go.
                                You're right, I should have said 'a stroke or two', not 'several'.
                                This does remind me of a good example of when it should be determined, prior the provisional, whether or not throw #1 is 'unplayable'. My only tourney at 4 mounds I threw one into the treeline on Cape Fear, then threw a provisional across the draw for a possible look at 3. I found my first shot deep in the trees, took two throws to get out of the trees, throwing away from the basket. Throw #4 lands me not quite as good as my provisional. Had I chose to not look diligently for throw #1, because my provisional was good, I'd have saved myself a stroke. I ended up in a play-off for 1st with Heath, so clarity of that ruling could have been crucial.

Obviously there are situations where you throw it over the hill and through the trees, and say, there's no freaggin' way I'm finding that!!
                                Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; February 13th, 2011, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X