• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rules School on OB rule

http://www.pdga.com/ob-one-can-know-thee

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
    Awesome!

Comment

I really like these Rules Schools they are very informative. They help bring clarity to some of the more complicated rules.
      Throw What You Know.
      "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
      PDGA# 45989

Comment

I agree, these are very valuable. Thanks PDGA!

Comment

Yeah Another should cover the after the round but before the card is turned in group decision was made correctly with the TD
          rewindb.com

Comment

Funny...

I was just trying to explain this rule the other day. I wish I had that picture with me. It would get the point across quicker and better than I could verbally. Any chance these could be included in the rule book in the future?

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
            Or does here stand the last remaining man
            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
            Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Someone else suggested that on another D-Board and I'll suggest it for the next rulebook printing. I've added the diagrams and photos in the Rules School articles simply to make them more visually interesting. But it looks like the diagrams really help some players understand better and have been shared almost as much and maybe more than the text.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Awesome!
                I call Interference on Scott's post and a 2 stroke penalty
                Training to be a bagger

Comment

Isn't the easiest decision usually the best. In all these situations I would nearly always choose to throw a provisional then just abandon the disc and accrue the stroke penalty, through the green ( means till I putt out)
                  rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                    Isn't the easiest decision usually the best. In all these situations I would nearly always choose to throw a provisional then just abandon the disc and accrue the stroke penalty, through the green ( means till I putt out)
                    Why throw a provisional? If you go OB near the basket, wouldn't you rather be lying 2 there instead of lying 2 on the tee box? That makes me ask..."If you did throw a provisional, do you HAVE to play it if your first throw went OB or can you decide to take the drop where it went OB instead?

Comment

Originally posted by LakeStevensBA View Post
                      Why throw a provisional? If you go OB near the basket, wouldn't you rather be lying 2 there instead of lying 2 on the tee box? That makes me ask..."If you did throw a provisional, do you HAVE to play it if your first throw went OB or can you decide to take the drop where it went OB instead?
                      Most of the time when you play a provisional shot, you are doing so because there is a disagreement on an OB or Mando or some other course ruling. You effectively play the hole twice from where you throw the provisional. You play the hole out from your provisional throw and count the strokes and write it on the card. But you also play the hole out from the other throw and count the strokes (usually with penalties) and write it on the card. Then after the round you take the card to the TD and he makes a ruling on which score counts for your round.

Throwing a provisional from the tee box is usually done in case your first drive is later determined to be a lost disc. By throwing a provisional it will save you the time and the walking all the way back to the tee box if your first drive is lost. But if you get up to the disc and it isn't lost then you forget the provisional and just play your first drive. This happens more now that the Lost Disc rule is stroke AND distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                        Throwing a provisional from the tee box is usually done in case your first drive is later determined to be a lost disc.By throwing a provisional it will save you the time and the walking all the way back to the tee box if your first drive is lost. But if you get up to the disc and it isn't lost then you forget the provisional and just play your first drive. This happens more now that the Lost Disc rule is stroke AND distance.
                        I thought your group had to determine the disc is lost before throwing your provisional. If your disc is found then the provisional throw would cost you a stroke. Just wondering...

Comment

Thanks for sharing this.

I know there is a lot of misconception on these rulings. For example in ball golf, if your ball comes to rest at all with-in OB/ or OB line, it is deemed OB. Disc golf is saying the "entire" disc must be surrounded by OB.

As more ball golfers transition to the the more affordable brand of golf, explaining these rules is important.
                          It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.sigpicJohn Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
                            I thought your group had to determine the disc is lost before throwing your provisional. If your disc is found then the provisional throw would cost you a stroke. Just wondering...
                            Well, you should always ask your group if they mind if you throw a provisional off the tee box before doing so and if they are being biatches about it, then don't do it. But if they bitch and then my disc IS declared lost they better be ready for a long wait as I take my sweet time getting back to the tee, rest up from my walk and then throw my second shot. You won't see me running on a disc golf course anytime soon. And I hope that every other golfer behind me enjoys the slow down because my card was full of whiny punks...

When the PDGA went with the stroke and distance ruling they opened up a can of worms all over the speed of play rules. Nothin slows play down worse than walking backwards up the fairway to re-throw after a lost disc.

Comment

I've always heard that you should take a provisonal if you even think your disc may be lost, as a speed of play issue.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X