Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDGA to focus on the grassroots of the sport. yay!

As a 21 year member of the PDGA, I can't tell you how glad I am that the PDGA is planning on putting more focus towards the grassroots of our great sport.
    I am all on board, as this has been my main goal for over 20 years.
    Please let me know what I can do.
    Steven "Yoseman" Wright
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    - Anonymous

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
    As a 21 year member of the PDGA, I can't tell you how glad I am that the PDGA is planning on putting more focus towards the grassroots of our great sport.
    I am all on board, as this has been my main goal for over 20 years.
    Please let me know what I can do.
    Steven "Yoseman" Wright
    I dont think they're talking about the same "grass" roots, dude.
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

pipe dreams?

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
      I dont think they're talking about the same "grass" roots, dude.
      Are you just blowing smoke?
      Oh well, if the PDGA decides to get off the pot and focus on the other one, I'll be there.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      - Anonymous

Comment

All jokes aside, I agree. I like the fact that they're acknowledging this as important. For a while there it appeared all focus was on "Pros" and growing the "Show". I think both are important to the future of the sport.
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

It will be interesting how they, the pdga, defines "grass roots" and what they are prepared to do to promote the sport at that defined level. We'll see...
          educate your thinking

Comment

Innova fired the opening shot in this grassroots redirection by going to the handicapped format for USDGC every other year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
              Innova fired the opening shot in this grassroots redirection by going to the handicapped format for USDGC every other year.
              Don't fool yourself that was profit motivated not grassroots grow the sport motivated.
              PDGA #25296
              Stumptown #34

Comment

Don't fool yourself either. It would be hard to find an initiative to address grassroots growth that was not profit oriented because that's where the money is. It certainly isn't at the top.

Comment

When I think of grassroots, I think small weeklies and one day tournaments aimed at beginning players and youth. I don't think of tournaments like USDGC which is clearly aimed at established players.

Comment

When I think of grassroots, I don't think of tournaments at all. They should be putting on clinics for families.

Most ball-golfers and tennis players do not play in tournaments; it's not how most people think about recreational sports.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

This really just another way of top loading.

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                      It's funny really Innova is interested in growing the sport in it's direction first!!!! Remember for the manufactures it's a PROFIT DEAL. The most expensive event of the year is not the venue for first timers.

Want to get more players involved?
                      lower the membership fees
                      Dump the non member fee
                      Quit charging for decals, rule books and such
                      maybe even opt out of Mag is an option.
                      Why is it there are tourneys every weekend but only one Worlds Biggest?
                      rewindb.com

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Innova hired the guy who used to come up with the new names for blender speeds to name discs for them. That guy has to cost them a lot.

Whoa, it's lonely at the top...
                        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I hope the PDGA decides to move in the grassroots direction, I agree with Scott, I also think of weeklies and small events, clinics as well. I was a very casual disc golfer for 2 years until I found the Rockwood Winter series, playing in that well run series was what made me want to pursue disc golf further, not big PDGA events with major sponsors.

I think over the last few years there's been too much of a focus on major corporate sponsors and the National Tour, not on building up organization nationwide to grow the sport.
                          PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                          dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Much of the delay in moving toward grassroots programs and perhaps alternative lower cost memberships was caused by lack of resources being applied to developing the technical infrastructure to support it. Technical efforts behind the scenes in the past few years were accelerated when the outside contractor was brought in to help revamp the website and database foundation. Now, the PDGA is in position to start moving in some new directions, especially once the new Tour Manager is onboard in the spring.

Comment

How does the elimination of the Grandmaster division at some NT events fit into the scheme of this?
                              "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X