X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is a round over?

When is a PDGA round officially over? I thought it was determined to be once the scorecards were turned in, but OTH Bob mentioned that he was told by someone with a position of authority that the round is over as soon as the last putt comes to rest.

Yeah, this actually came into play a couple of years ago when somebody on my card felt it necessary to partake in the rule that shall not be named while the chains were still moving from his last putt.

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    When is a PDGA round officially over? I thought it was determined to be once the scorecards were turned in, but OTH Bob mentioned that he was told by someone with a position of authority that the round is over as soon as the last putt comes to rest.

Yeah, this actually came into play a couple of years ago when somebody on my card felt it necessary to partake in the rule that shall not be named while the chains were still moving from his last putt.
    You cannot "partake" until after the cards are turned in.

Jeff
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
      You cannot "partake" until after the cards are turned in.

Jeff
      Can you point me to the PDGA rule that says this? I glanced quickly, but haven't found it yet.

Comment

Section 800. Definitions.

Completion of a Round: The round has been officially completed for all competitors when, in the director’s opinion, the last group on the course has completed their final hole and has had
        reasonable time to travel from their final hole to tournament headquarters.

There is nothing else in the book but this.

Please note. If a TD sees you breaking the law - drinking in a park where it is not allowed or smoking a joint - s/he can kick you out of the tournament on the spot. This can be done at any point between the time the player's meeting starts and the end of the awards' ceremony.
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

So a person on your card offers to turn the cards in and you walk to your car to grab a cervecita, your after round reward. Is that against the rule because I didn't check with the TD to see about his discretion on the reasonableness of what he thinks about the last group's ability to turn in their cards in a timely fashion?

Huh?
          Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Here's another question that I'm too lazy to look up.

Is alcohol specifically banned during PDGA events? I know there is a rule that prohibits any illegal activity, and that would include alcohol in many city parks. But what about parks where alcohol consumption is normally allowed? Is it still prohibited during PDGA rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Here's another question that I'm too lazy to look up.

Is alcohol specifically banned during PDGA events? I know there is a rule that prohibits any illegal activity, and that would include alcohol in many city parks. But what about parks where alcohol consumption is normally allowed? Is it still prohibited during PDGA rounds?
              http://pdga.com/rules

I think what you're looking for is covered in there. It's worth a read. They used to give out copies of the rule book when you signed up. They may even still do that.
              Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

The 30 second response...

The rule that you are looking for is 804.05 A(4).

The other rule in question I think can be found in the competition manual and talks about the time frame of 'from the 2-minute warning to the time that the cards are turned in'.

My interpretation of the rule is: as long as the cards have been added and all players agree on their scores (initialing the card is optional), if one player offers to take the cards back to Tournament Central that is the point that the round is over for the rest of the card. That one player can assume the burden of 'extra time' for his card and his round ends when he turns in the cards. But that's just how I roll.
                Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                Or does here stand the last remaining man
                To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by proto something or other View Post
                  http://pdga.com/rules

I think what you're looking for is covered in there. It's worth a read. They used to give out copies of the rule book when you signed up. They may even still do that.
                  I know it's there. I SAID I was too lazy to look it up.

Actually, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. The PDGA site no longer has a search feature on the rules section. The Rules Q&A appears to be gone, too. I looked in all of the obvious sections, and all I found was 804.05 A. A player shall be disqualified by the director for meeting any of the necessary conditions of
                  disqualification as set forth in the rules, or for any of the following:
                  (1) Unsportsmanlike conduct, such as; loud cursing, throwing things in anger (other than discs
                  in play), or overt rudeness to anyone present.
                  (2) Willful and overt destruction or abuse of plant life, course hardware, or any other
                  property considered part of the disc golf course or the park.
                  (3) Cheating: a willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play.
                  (4) Activities which are in violation of the law or park regulation or disc golf course rule,
                  including the illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol.

I always thought that alcohol was a complete no-no, but this seems to indicate it is only a no-no if it is normally illeagal to drink in that park.

And yeah, I still have my copy of the rulebook. (somwhere)

Comment

I have brought this up, too... to a deaf audience. If the event is at Milo or Dabney, a TD - it seems - would have the ability to say that alcohol during your round is fine since it does not violate any of the rules in the PDGA rule book.
                    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Here you go: download this, and search your brains out: http://home.comcast.net/~accuspeed/PDGA2007rulebook.pdf

Man I'm glad I harvested as much as I did off the PDGA Site before it got wrecked. Whew!

Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Pretty much, I think if you see the tourney staff drinking at the event, I think you're OK to drink between rounds.

Comment

Competition Manual covers more. Personally, I think that this should be in the rule book since fewer people have the Comp. Manual than have the rule book.

BUT...

3.3. Professional Misconduct

B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:
                          -Throwing items in anger (other than discs in play)
                          -Overt Rudeness
                          -Destruction or abuse of property, including plant life
                          -Cheating or willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play
                          -Fighting or threatening other players, tournament staff, or spectators
                          -Consumption of alcohol or use of any illegal substance from the 2-minute warning until the player's scorecard is submitted
                          -Abuse of alcohol after play and on course property is considered professional misconduct
                          -Underage drinking
                          C. The use of illegal substances is forbidden from the 2-minute warning until the player's scorecard is submitted. Such use shall result in immediate disqualification.
                          D. The use of alcohol is forbidden from the 2-minute warning until the player's scorecard is submitted. Such use shall result in immediate disqualification at a B Tier or higher event. At a C or D Tier event the TD shall either disqualify the offending player or issue them a warning. If a player has been issued a warning, all subsequent violations shall result in immediate disqualification.
                          E. Tournament Directors are to report any disqualifications to the PDGA as quickly as possible. Players who are guilty of any misconduct at the tournament site or any other facility associated with a PDGA sanctioned event may be subject to a fine and/or suspension from the PDGA. (Consult the PDGA Disciplinary Process for more information).
                          So... what about legal use of Marijuana?
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

if legal use is ok, i bet we see an increase of disc golfers with Glaucoma or other ailments allowing them to have medical marijuana
                            All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Wow, even the Competition Manual allows for alcohol between rounds (except for minors, and only in alcohol-legal areas)!

However, a TD can state any extra conditions, such as:

I have been to tournaments (Worlds) where the TD has stated that any alcohol (regardless of age) or illegals will result in instant DQ:

"on any Worlds day: from the moment you arrive at the parking lot of any Worlds course until the moment you leave the parking lot of that course".

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X