X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate teetotalers.
    “I believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know — Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that’s in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I’ll know I’m a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I’m not sure, but it’s possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.”
    ~Annika Sörenstam

Comment

I don't think it is the "teetotaler" view. it is for appearances. Remember this sport is trying to grow and PDGA "states" that is an objective, so for sponsors and spectators seeing a bunch of people walking around and drinking, doesn't really look to good (you don't see people on PBA drinking between frames). It also helps keep the course cleaner during the tournament since there is less garbage to worry about picking up. and this is coming for a heavy drinker
      "Putt" is a four letter word

Comment

It is not legal to use marijuana in public whether you have a card or not.

From ORS:
        475.316 Limitations on cardholder’s immunity from criminal laws involving marijuana. (1) No person authorized to possess, deliver or produce marijuana for medical use pursuant to ORS 475.300 to 475.346 shall be excepted from the criminal laws of this state or shall be deemed to have established an affirmative defense to criminal charges of which possession, delivery or production of marijuana is an element if the person, in connection with the facts giving rise to such charges:

(a) Drives under the influence of marijuana as provided in ORS 813.010;

(b) Engages in the medical use of marijuana in a public place as that term is defined in ORS 161.015, or in public view or in a correctional facility as defined in ORS 162.135 (2) or youth correction facility as defined in ORS 162.135 (6);

(c) Delivers marijuana to any individual who the person knows is not in possession of a registry identification card;

(d) Delivers marijuana for consideration to any individual, even if the individual is in possession of a registry identification card;

(e) Manufactures or produces marijuana at a place other than a marijuana grow site authorized under ORS 475.304; or

(f) Manufactures or produces marijuana at more than one address.

(2) In addition to any other penalty allowed by law, a person who the Department of Human Services finds has willfully violated the provisions of ORS 475.300 to 475.346, or rules adopted under ORS 475.300 to 475.346, may be precluded from obtaining or using a registry identification card for the medical use of marijuana for a period of up to six months, at the discretion of the department. [1999 c.4 §5; 1999 c.825 §3; 2005 c.822 §13; 2007 c.573 §4]

.....and before you bring it up.......almost every disc golf course in Oregon is considered a public place.

Comment

Interesting. I did not realize that that was part of the law. Thanks, Jason.
          “I believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know — Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that’s in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I’ll know I’m a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I’m not sure, but it’s possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.”
          ~Annika Sörenstam

Comment

Isn't that what I said?

3.3. Professional Misconduct

C. The use of illegal substances is forbidden from the 2-minute warning until the player's scorecard is submitted. Such use shall result in immediate disqualification.

Nothing like that last bowl on your tee pad while waiting for the 2-minute warning... But like Jason stated, even with a medical exemption that is not legal in public. (Ron White: I was drunk in a bar, they THREW ME into public!) It's just not an immediate DQ...
            Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
            Or does here stand the last remaining man
            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
            I’ll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
              Wow, even the Competition Manual allows for alcohol between rounds (except for minors, and only in alcohol-legal areas)!

However, a TD can state any extra conditions, such as:

I have been to tournaments (Worlds) where the TD has stated that any alcohol (regardless of age) or illegals will result in instant DQ:

"on any Worlds day: from the moment you arrive at the parking lot of any Worlds course until the moment you leave the parking lot of that course".
              Ok, I haven't drank in years and as everyone knows I don't do the other things eluded to here. I don't have a problem with either but do feel like this should be the case at ALL PDGA events.

"on any Worlds day: from the moment you arrive at the parking lot of any Worlds course until the moment you leave the parking lot of that course".

To say, "up till the two minute warning" or "between rounds" or "once you putt out" or what ever seems to be kind of counter productive. You're saying it is NOT ok, well MAYBE ok, but not REALLY ok, or it MIGHT be ok? The PDGA needs to make a clear and bullet proof stand on the use of drugs/alcohol at PDGA events.

My 2 cents worth!

Bob

Comment

There is a difference between drinking and being drunk. If it is legal in the park, I think that they should allow it.

As for the other, the PDGA language is awfully wishy-washy on the subject. Either say something and come out against it entirely or say nothing at all.
                ~Annika Sörenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  There is a difference between drinking and being drunk. If it is legal in the park, I think that they should allow it.

As for the other, the PDGA language is awfully wishy-washy on the subject. Either say something and come out against it entirely or say nothing at all.
                  Agree whole heartedly!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                    Agree whole heartedly!

Bob

Just a little history behind these rules...............
                    If you think it is "vague" now....you should have seen it before.

The reason behind the whole "2 min til cards turned in" was to eliminate the "Burden" put on a TD to "Police" the masses between rounds.
                    MANY TD's, were put into situations that became a problem.

By the "Old Rules", If "Joe Blow" came to me to report that he saw "Tokin Tim" over in his camp "smoking marijuana", I now was MANDATED to go over there, investigate and DQ EVERYONE involved...
                    As a TD, It is NOT my job to be your MOTHER or a between rounds.
                    MOST of us are adults and know how to behave as such. I am far to busy between rounds to deal with those things. If I see you out in the OPEN, I might suggest you find a more suitible location.
                    What it did was allow me to worry about what goes on DURING play and suggests that between rounds to leave the to the

As a Player you need to use common sense and think about the actions you take.
                    I have personally LOST SPONSORS simply because they drove thru the parking lot at Lunch.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X