Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what if my disc goes into the chains and then goes out through the hole in the cage? Does that mean It's a completed hole now? I know with most baskets this most likely will never happen but at Lake Stevens this is a regular thing, especially with everyone using floppy putters and such with those baskets.

If they don't want them going through that part then why not make a new basket covering it up completely?
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Fortunately this rule change will have little effect on the overall outcome of most PDGA events. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that it would be unbelievably rare to ever have a failed putt that stuck in the side of the cage cause someone to lose a PDGA event.
      That is no different than having a putt spit out at a costly moment.
      It has to come to rest inside the basket or chains.... but I am a fan of removing the chains altogether.
      Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
        Hmmm, I've played my fair share of disc golf and never seen a drive or upshot stick in the side of the cage. Probably seen atleast a dozen or two putts stick.
        That's funny, I've never seen a putt stick in the side of the cage. I've seen a few aces stick in the side of the cage and have heard of several more.

Comment

HISSSSSS!

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          That's funny, I've never seen a putt stick in the side of the cage. I've seen a few aces stick in the side of the cage and have heard of several more.
          I've played with someone who could putt the shit out of those through the cage putts with an amazingly floppy putter. 15-25 feet away, thrown hard and flat at below the rim height and they go all the way through the cage and stay in the basket.

Still not in favor of the new rule, and i love me some rules...

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
          Remain ye men of faculty complete,
          Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
          Attending to our noble bond and contract?
          Or does here stand the last remaining man
          To give a fig for rules and order yet,
          No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
          Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
          I’ll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

here's my $100 ace on #2 at Cascade. 222 footer. Glo Stalker in 15 mph left to right winds

Just took a look at that picture, no that is notttt my tag! I tagged my disc, had 4-5 people sign it and it's being dyed now. Took a picture of the ace obviously too... but that is not my tag lol...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
              here's my $100 ace on #2 at Cascade. 222 footer. Glo Stalker in 15 mph left to right winds

Just took a look at that picture, no that is notttt my tag! I tagged my disc, had 4-5 people sign it and it's being dyed now. Took a picture of the ace obviously too... but that is not my tag lol...
              Great park job Snap! Don't forget to let of the disc as you drop in that deuce . Making birdies look easy...
              Team DISCRAFT
              NW Sign Up
              Gorilla Boy
              Paragon Disc Golf
              Odwalla

Comment

Boooooooooooo and no it's BO'urns
                Yet another example of a rule being adopted or changed for no good reason. I saw a disc stick in the cage on Sun. It was a really sss summit.
                I find this confusing that a disc being supported by the device designed to catch the disc is not in. Maybe the cages need to be redesigned and then every course needs to address that retro upgrade. I see $$$$$$$$ for the manufactures. I predict the yellow bands now around the cages too.
                Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo

I guess some open player got beat by one of these and has enough individual pull to make it uncomfortable for the powers that be. But after 30 years had no protocol for sanctioned"Series" events being were ancillary games.
                Last edited by LJ Jubner; December 8th, 2010, 05:03 AM. Reason: added though in bold
                rewindb.com

Comment

I find it kinda odd that the PDGA issued the paper version of the 2011 rules before putting it on the internet.
                  The internet is the cheapest and fastest way to disseminate information to the masses.

How many people aren't going to know about the rules changes until they update their membership?

How many update their membership at the first tournament they attend in the spring?

Comment

One of the main reasons for tightening up the holing out requirements wasn't as much to kill wedgies observed to come from the outside but to be more consistent with the constant whining about "discs resting on top" (DROT) not counting and wedgies counting. Rather than allowing DROTs (which have always been perceived as 'bad' throws) to count, the RC felt it was important to finally minimize the chances wedgies from the outside (also 'bad' throws) would count.

The updated target specs in 2009 reduced the allowable maximum opening on the sides and bottoms of baskets to 18cm in new target models approved as a nod toward reducing wedgies in the future (minimum diameter of a disc is 21cm). But unless the minimum flexibility of discs was increased retroactively, eliminating thousands of player's favorite discs, we'll still have some wedgies 20 years from now.
                    Last edited by Chuck Kennedy; December 8th, 2010, 05:59 AM.

Comment

I find it kinda odd that the PDGA issued the paper version of the 2011 rules before putting it on the internet. The internet is the cheapest and fastest way to disseminate information to the masses.
                      Getting copy ready for the printing deadline came before the info was really needed for display on the Internet which isn't until just before Jan 1st. Just a matter of priorities for all of the things the Tour Manager has to get done to prepare for the new year. And all of the approved (Passed) and potential future changes being discussed (Closed) have actually been online here since September although not on the PDGA site yet: http://pellucid.com/conrad/pdga/rules2011.html

Comment

I still say I don't want to try and debate what someone "saw" or "didn't see". Heck, that's why the basket was INVENTED - it is too easy to argue "I didn't see you hit the target" in object golf! Therefore, I strongly disagree with a rule that says my putt, resting in the basket, on a legal target, does not count - I find that preposterous. Hence, the part about not coming through the top, which can be done on certain Innova baskets (see Champoeg), should be stricken.
                        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                          potential future changes being discussed (Closed) have actually been online here since September although not on the PDGA site yet: http://pellucid.com/conrad/pdga/rules2011.html
                          I read part of that site before, but that is far from official looking. It looks like someone personal website. You know what they say about stuff you read on the internet. "It has to be true if you read it on the internet."

I would prefer a listing of rule changes for 2011 on the PDGA site where the masses would actually read them.

Comment

We require visual judgment calls by the group or officials in many places in our self-officiated sport. So it's consistent with other judgment calls required such as making/missing a mando, foot faults, last point IB, etc. Wedgie calls will occur significantly less often than those examples mentioned.

Comment

I would prefer a listing of rule changes for 2011 on the PDGA site where the masses would actually read them.
                              ...and I indicated they would be, just before needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                                One of the main reasons for tightening up the holing out requirements wasn't as much to kill wedgies observed to come from the outside but to be more consistent with the constant whining about "discs resting on top" (DROT) not counting and wedgies counting. Rather than allowing DROTs (which have always been perceived as 'bad' throws) to count, the RC felt it was important to finally minimize the chances wedgies from the outside (also 'bad' throws) would count.

The updated target specs in 2009 reduced the allowable maximum opening on the sides and bottoms of baskets to 18cm in new target models approved as a nod toward reducing wedgies in the future (minimum diameter of a disc is 21cm). But unless the minimum flexibility of discs was increased retroactively, eliminating thousands of player's favorite discs, we'll still have some wedgies 20 years from now.
                                well that makes sence...

This rule will not take effect until Jan 1st and will not cancel anyone’s previous “wedgies” is that correct?
                                Throw What You Know.
                                "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                                PDGA# 45989

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X