X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Rules Comments: Holing Out

So, I recieved my PDGA registration package for 2011 and included was the new rule book. Here is a rule change that I wondered what people thought about...

803.13 Holing Out:
    B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc observed by two or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the tray or abve the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

And in the Summary of Rules Changes section:
    The definition of holing out has been tightened up a bit. A putt that sticks in the side of the tray, or hangs outside the tray from one of the nubs, no longer counts.

BOOOO!

Originally posted by Kenny B View Post
    So, I recieved my PDGA registration package for 2011 and included was the new rule book. Here is a rule change that I wondered what people thought about...

803.13 Holing Out:
    B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc observed by two or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the tray or abve the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.

The definition of holing out has been tightened up a bit. A putt that sticks in the side of the tray, or hangs outside the tray from one of the nubs, no longer counts.
    WEAK SAUCE!!!!

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
    Or does here stand the last remaining man
    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
    Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

I agree with the sticking in the side of the cage rule change. That's generally a pretty bad putt. But if you chain out an are lucky enough to catch a nub and hang it should count in my opinion. I think I've only seen that happen once or twice.
      Read this ^

Comment

What is the printing date for rule book you got, because it's not in the one I got this October
        Throw What You Know.
        "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
        PDGA# 45989

Comment

The part about not coming through the top is absurd. There are approved Innova baskets on which the disc can fit through the top (ever play at Champoeg)? Debating whether an ace came through the top is not an argument I want to have on the course. I will urge the PDGA to reconsider or change again in 2012.
          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I hope that rule is not retroactive - I'd lose an ace.

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
              I agree with the sticking in the side of the cage rule change. That's generally a pretty bad putt. But if you chain out an are lucky enough to catch a nub and hang it should count in my opinion. I think I've only seen that happen once or twice.
              Sticking in the side of the cage is more likely to occur with a drive or upshot.

Comment

I wonder why they decide to change this rule. if the disc is stuck in the cage at least some part of is on the inside of the basket. This is good enough to be in bounds when it comes to that rule (or have they changed that too?)
                Throw What You Know.
                "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                PDGA# 45989

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny B View Post

803.13 Holing Out:

I agree with this rule. It takes away some of the luck factor involved with slipping in the sides, or sticking into the tray, which, was not a good throw to begin with.

As far as the ACE debate goes, the rule has the covered Gawain - "A disc observed by two or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the tray or abve the bottom of the chain support is not holed out..." simple: if they didn't see it go in through the sides or the top, then they can't take it away from you.

I also appreciate this rule for when it comes to folks slapping the chains while holding the disc in their hands...that is not holing out! Let go of the disc if you want it to count.

Good work PDGA.
                  Team DISCRAFT
                  NW Sign Up
                  Gorilla Boy
                  Paragon Disc Golf
                  Odwalla

Comment

A friend has the luck, I've seen him stick more of his floppy Soft Mags in the sides of baskets than seems possible, he's gonna be pissed. But remember this is for pdga sanctioned play, not casual rounds. I'll still give him those. Don't forget friends, the pdga has to change things, that's what you pay them for.
                    educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
                      I wonder why they decide to change this rule. if the disc is stuck in the cage at least some part of is on the inside of the basket. This is good enough to be in bounds when it comes to that rule (or have they changed that too?)
                      Way different instances here. Landing on an out of bounds line and being partially in bounds (thus ruled safe) is very different from squeezing a soft putter through the edge of the tray. While both are lucky in a sense, unless you land completely out of bounds, it wasn't a bad shot. Missing the target area low by a few inches...is a bad shot. Just my opinon. And no, to my knowledge, they have not changed any rulings on OB for the 2011 addition, although I look forward to recieving my copy and reading it thoroughly.
                      Team DISCRAFT
                      NW Sign Up
                      Gorilla Boy
                      Paragon Disc Golf
                      Odwalla

Comment

WTH, that takes away my ace shot at Cascades that won me $100, flew perfect the whole way, was just inches low and stuck, which is the only disc I have ever stuck in the cage in my years of playing disc golf anyways. Similar to a 5 foot high bounce in ball golf that hits the stick bounces down and spins in; this I would compare to sticking the cage from a distance because the stick is not in the hole but helps the ball go in the hole... hmmmm... while I agree short putts that stick are bad putts, that takes away long perfect shots that get stuck in the cage... interesting stuff... next year the 10M rule will become the 15M rule?

Comment

Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
                          What is the printing date for rule book you got, because it's not in the one I got this October
                          I don't see a printing date, but the bottom of the inside cover says: Copyright 2011. Also, the top of page 1 says: Revised January 1, 2011.

Comment

Sure, you can argue that the putt was not in perfect form, but in all reality, the disc was supported by the basket and at rest (this should also include DROTs). Not everyone has perfect putting form on every shot and should be allowed a little luck every now and then, especially on throws from outside of 75 feet.

So, maybe the PDGA should allow discs supported outside of the basket on throws from outside of 100 feet? But, of course, that would not make the rule simple and would lead to distance disputes.

If you are really worried about bad putts being rewarded, then remove all the nubs from the top of the tray. All they do is prevent skips out of the tray/basket on putts that were either on the weak side, stong side, or too high.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              Sticking in the side of the cage is more likely to occur with a drive or upshot.
                              Hmmm, I've played my fair share of disc golf and never seen a drive or upshot stick in the side of the cage. Probably seen atleast a dozen or two putts stick.
                              Read this ^

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X