Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDGA Global DG Championship 2011

http://www.pdga.com/global-dg-championship

The Calapooia team has been contacted regarding this event and they are considering whether to participate that weekend.

this is really cool sounding. i like this idea of competing with people from all over the world without having to be at the exact same venue.
    Team HOSER:dancing:
    Team OLY:cheerleader:
    Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

One of the things we plan to do to potentially get national and international media coverage is to calculate what the carbon footprint would have been if everyone who competed flew to New York to play rather than played in their own regions as planned. The savings should be pretty impressive and get DG some publicity as a sport on the greener side of the ledger.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
        One of the things we plan to do to potentially get national and international media coverage is to calculate what the carbon footprint would have been if everyone who competed flew to New York to play rather than played in their own regions as planned. The savings should be pretty impressive and get DG some publicity as a sport on the greener side of the ledger.
        I love this idea, but I think the plan takes too much (50%) money away from the local events. Sending 25% off into the ether would have been a more palatable percentage.

$50 - Hypothetical entry fee
        < $25> - to the PDGA for the Big Tourney
        ============================
        $25 - Left for payout
        < $ 2> - PDGA Tourney fees (per player)
        $23 - Left for payout
        < $12> - Players Pack (This is a light estimate)
        $11 - Left for payout

I'm sorry but this is a little sketchy; especially if we take into account the tourney sanctioning fees and potential park rental costs.
        Last edited by Bullseye; November 16th, 2010, 07:40 AM. Reason: I felt like it.
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Since the required player packs (B-tier) for Ams comes from the amount going to the global purse not the local purse, every Am will get more than half the $20 retail value minimum from the global portion and maybe full value or more once sponsorship opportunities have been developed like any major event. Any global payout for the Ams will be icing on the cake for the top finishers.

For this first test event, the global payouts for pros will be modest with only $25 going to the purse from each player and maybe some added cash. I expect that pros will want higher entry fee events in the future with even more than 50% going to the global purse once they are comfortable with how this works.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
            Since the required player packs (B-tier) for Ams comes from the amount going to the global purse not the local purse, every Am will get more than half the $20 retail value minimum from the global portion and maybe full value or more once sponsorship opportunities have been developed like any major event. Any global payout for the Ams will be icing on the cake for the top finishers.

For this first test event, the global payouts for pros will be modest with only $25 going to the purse from each player and maybe some added cash. I expect that pros will want higher entry fee events in the future with even more than 50% going to the global purse once they are comfortable with how this works.
            Ok, that clears up a bit. I'll remain skeptically optimistic until I see the details
            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Are there any examples of athletic Globally Local competitions that have happened in similar fashion? I wonder if they are prone to any specific faults that the PDGA can avoid.

This sounds like a pretty cool idea. I think pumping it up from the Green perspective will help garner media coverage. In the end that's what we want, right? Grow the sport by getting non-discers to talk about it because they saw it in the news, sort of thing?
              The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Very Cool

I love the idea.

Comment

Are there any examples of athletic Globally Local competitions that have happened in similar fashion? I wonder if they are prone to any specific faults that the PDGA can avoid.
                  I tried to find some. But if you think about it, I'm not sure there's any outdoor sport that has dynamically generated ratings that could do this. Darts, shooting and bowling come to mind as "sports" that could do it. Even running the 100 yard dash or mile would be dicey to compare times from site to site. The fact we can do this at all in a fair way with an outdoor sport on quite different venues is probably newsworthy besides the green angle mentioned above.

Comment

Is'nt this just "Worlds Biggest B Tier".

If this is the case I should run something at the easiest course available and get the best to show up. Maybe I could get the first 1200 rated round to boot.
                    rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                      Is'nt this just "Worlds Biggest B Tier".

If this is the case I should run something at the easiest course available and get the best to show up. Maybe I could get the first 1200 rated round to boot.
                      Methinks you don't understand how ratings work.

Comment

The best strategy might be to play an event at a course you play really well with an SSA around 52-53 and hope none of the top pros play that one.

Comment

Spokanes in the GDGT

Spokane will be hosting the Global Disc Golf Tournament at High Bridge on Aug. 20 & 21, 2011.

We have a confirmed spot and I learned today that it will also be a USDGC qualifying event. You won't want to miss this one.
                          Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X