Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

different gigs = different titles

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    If it's indeed confusing, then shouldn't TDs attempt to avoid the confusion by calling it Intermediate (or INT - is that too hard to spell?)?
    Remember that I'm talking primarily about non sanctioned gigs that have been run in and around southern Oregon where the real rebels hang out.
    We have had no confusion because I've taught some of my youngsters to brainwash the newbs as I did them to keep calling it Am and Adv.
    So if you call your amateurs Int's what do you call your advanced?
    How about Ant's?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
      Advanced is not an amateur division, it's advanced.
      Huh? As far as I know, you are either a Pro or an Amateur. Advanced is merely short for Advanced Amateur.

Comment

WOWZA!
        Yo Uhlman,
        I thought we were ribbing, my bad.
        I'm actually not too bad of a speller and I was totally joking about spelling intermediate.
        I think it's easier to spell than amateur for most peeps.
        As far as being lazy? Nah, at 57 years young I do get a bit tired sooner.
        The spelling of a word or where it's used just doesn't seem as important as long as the message gets communicated.
        FWIW.
        I make a point of having fun with fellers and some gals (who can handle it) that get so picky about grammar.
        I am seriously sorry if I offended you.
        Yose
        I was taking the side of the offended grammar , hence the . You are right too many people are picky about grammar.
        Throw What You Know.
        "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
        PDGA# 45989

Comment

So if you call your amateurs Int's what do you call your advanced?
          How about Ant's?
          Let's just get all tolkien on it and call em Ent's

Comment

there ya go

Originally posted by KenGilmore View Post
            Huh? As far as I know, you are either a Pro or an Amateur. Advanced is merely short for Advanced Amateur.
            Yep, it's the lazy way.
            Ond... eet woyks vetty gudt.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            - Anonymous

Comment

Let's just get all tolkien on it and call em Ent's
              They get an automatic 50 point rating boost on wooded courses...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                and only the friendliest of kicks...

Comment

Tree love?

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post

The Onodrim, (Ents) were as old as the trees they cared for.
                  They were the fathers of the fathers of the trees.
                  With that being said, I'd think that would be an unfair home course advantage over the Elves and Hobbits.
                  I guess it'd be up to the TD... Treebeard.
                  - Anonymous

Comment

The Onodrim, (Ents) were as old as the trees they cared for.
                    They were the fathers of the fathers of the trees.
                    With that being said, I'd think that would be an unfair home course advantage over the Elves and Hobbits.
                    I guess it'd be up to the TD... Treebeard.
                    ... if we're talkin' tolkien, i believe you mean elfs...

... and yes, yes i am the spelling police...
                    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post

No spelling error here, officer. I think they were indeed referring to Ents.

Comment

Elvis and the Elves

Originally posted by emmarose View Post

here ya go:
                        In the Beginning of Days, long before Good or Evil moved in Middle-earth, when only the wild beasts and ancient trees inhabited the forests and valleys, the first of the 'speaking peoples' awoke and gazed 'out in the Wild Wood in wonder at their first Dawn'. These were the Elves, the firstborn, the immortal Elder Race of Middle-earth, noblest of the Children of Eru .
                        I think Elfs are a bunch of fellers that hang out with Master Samwise of Bag End, the Easter Bunny and Bilbo BAGgins.
                        On Christmas they sit around singing gospel songs while rooting for the GI ENTS!
                        - Anonymous

Comment

Honoring my connection with trees, Ents and Mother Earth, I dressed as Father Nature for Halloween this year:

Comment

Back to the original subject.

I like:
                            Pro
                            Adv
                            Am
                            etc.

By your own logic, doesn't this imply that advanced is not pro.
                            The descending order implies pro is the top class.
                            Everything below pro is... not pro.
                            Most people who go into the advanced category are excellent players. Many are on the cusp of turning pro. Plus, we all figure out very quickly that it is just short for advanced amateur. If we replace 'Am' with 'Int' you could make the same argument and it would be more confusing. The abbreviation convention seems to fit, from my perspective. Do you think someone actually thought about this in the previous 35+ years?

Or should we change it to Professional, Amateur, Novice?
                            Sounds belittling...
                            When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if I repeat something...
                              Novice= This looks like fun, I'll give it a try.
                              Intermediate= I've just become addicted, but haven't played much in a formal setting, I'd like to see what that's like.
                              Advanced= I've competed, but I would get my ass kicked in Pro. Besides, that guy from Yakima is playing Advanced, I haven't beat him the last three times we competed. OR Once I win one Season/series/event in AM, I swear I'll go Pro.
                              Pro= I have a chance to kick anybody's butt, because I can or because just maybe the stars will align for me some day and victory shall be mine.

The division of amateurs, IMHO, keeps ADV players from crushing the dreams of NOV and INT players.
                              If the waters are too dangerous, no one's going to swim, right?

Oh- I wonder if Nikko is actually an elf? Besides the emotion thing, he's got a lot of the qualities if you think about it.

Comment

question

What is difference in signing up for the pdga in am vs pro? Can't anyone play in open if signed up am?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X