Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One reason the PDGA exists is to standardize the naming conventions and definitions of the divisions, calling a division something else for a PDGA sanctioned event negates that and causes confusion. I also feel that non-PDGA sanctioned events should strive to follow the same naming conventions for their divisions to reduce confusion. I think intermediate is a good word for the division as it you are not ready for more advanced play but are at a level that is better than the average recreational or casual player.
    Throw What You Know.
    "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
    PDGA# 45989

Comment

Dazed and Confused (Page/Plant)

Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
      One reason the PDGA exists is to standardize the naming conventions and definitions of the divisions, calling a division something else for a PDGA sanctioned event negates that and causes confusion. I also feel that non-PDGA sanctioned events should strive to follow the same naming conventions for their divisions to reduce confusion. I think intermediate is a good word for the division as it you are not ready for more advanced play but are at a level that is better than the average recreational or casual player.
      I think that if we offered divisions like.... MM1's, MA2's, FW1's, PM's or ETC.'s, at our non sanctioned SOWS gigs, we would end up with mucho mas WTF's.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
        I think that if we offered divisions like.... MM1's, MA2's, FW1's, PM's or ETC.'s, at our non sanctioned SOWS gigs, we would end up with mucho mas WTF's.

I meant the class and division name not the division code i.e. Pro Open, Amateur Advanced, Amateur Advanced Grandmaster Women, Pro Sr. Legend. There shouldn’t be much confusion with that… should there?
        Throw What You Know.
        PDGA# 45989

Comment

No... I mean yes. I mean, I could care less. No, I mean, I couldn't care less.

Don't take that wrong> just making a play on words... I agree that 'intermediate' is a good label. AM I & AM II seems to be one that could be confused easily... was that how the pdga refered to Advanced and Intermediate divisions at one point?

Why do we say 'taking a crap? Aren't we actually leaving a crap?' ...censored version of George Karlin joke.
          Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; October 30th, 2010, 10:30 PM.
          Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Ask me if I care. Do you care? No. Thanks for asking.

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
            No... I mean yes. I mean, I could care less. No, I mean, I couldn't care less.

Don't take that wrong> just making a play on words... I agree that 'intermediate' is a good label. AM I & AM II seems to be one that could be confused easily... was that how the pdga refered to Advanced and Intermediate divisions at one point?

Why do we say 'taking a crap? Aren't we actually leaving a crap?' ...censored version of George Karlin joke.
            Toby,
            Am I and II worked in the old days because there were less players and even less baggermeisters.
            I don't like Intermediate because it's too long of a word and it's easy to spell wrong and then those darn grammar oinkers jump all over your post and hijack the shit out of it.
            cya @ 's
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            - Anonymous

Comment

Toby,
              Am I and II worked in the old days because there were less players and even less baggermeisters.
              I don't like Intermediate because it's too long of a word and it's easy to spell wrong and then those darn grammar oinkers jump all over your post and hijack the shit out of it.
              cya @ 's
              Most word processing programs have spell check now. There is even one for IE. Worst case scenario you could always open a dictionary. (They still make those right?)
              Throw What You Know.
              PDGA# 45989

Comment

Webster's the Man

Most word processing programs have spell check now. There is even one for IE. Worst case scenario you could always open a dictionary. (They still make those right?)
                Uhlman,
                What's a word processing program?
                Doesn't IE stand for example?
                It's funny you mention a dictionary as I keep my old faithful Webster's right next to my computer.
                See what I mean about the grammar cops and their hijacking abilities.
                jest for fun,
                Yose
                - Anonymous

Comment

That reminds me of when Westview high school was built. They were originally going to name it Tanasbourne HS, but were afraid the students would have difficulty spelling it.

Back to the original topic. It seems as if my point was missed, ever so slightly.

To keep it simple, let's say a tournament is offering these three divisions: Pro, Adv, and AM. Doesn't that seem to imply that Advanced is not an amatuer division?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    That reminds me of when Westview high school was built. They were originally going to name it Tanasbourne HS, but were afraid the students would have difficulty spelling it.

Back to the original topic. It seems as if my point was missed, ever so slightly.

To keep it simple, let's say a tournament is offering these three divisions: Pro, Adv, and AM. Doesn't that seem to imply that Advanced is not an amatuer division?
                    Yes, and that's why it's poorly used, sloppy shorthand. Put it in the same category as "script".

Comment

yes
                      Throw What You Know.
                      PDGA# 45989

Comment

Uhlman,
                        What's a word processing program?
                        Doesn't IE stand for example?
                        It's funny you mention a dictionary as I keep my old faithful Webster's right next to my computer.
                        See what I mean about the grammar cops and their hijacking abilities.
                        jest for fun,
                        Yose
                        I’ll give you IE, as I should of used internet explorer or internet browser instead. However, word processing program… it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that one. Should I have used word processing program brand names like Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.Org Writer? How about not being lazy… If you are too lazy to use a spell checking program or dictionary, then in my opinion you should not be a Tournament Director.
                        Throw What You Know.
                        PDGA# 45989

Comment

AmIsure?

Correctomundo!
                          Advanced is not an amateur division, it's advanced.
                          Unless they bag and then it gets all screwy.
                          Scott,
                          I find it hilarious that you out of all of us......... spelled a word wrong.
                          amateur
                          amatuer
                          amature
                          amachure
                          amashure
                          - Anonymous

Comment

Correctomundo!
                            Scott,
                            I find it hilarious that you out of all of us......... spelled a word wrong.
                            amateur
                            amatuer
                            amature
                            amachure
                            amashure
                            Spell checkers have turned me into a bad speller. I tend to let them do all of the work. I forgot that I was using a browser that doesn't have a spell checker built in.

Comment

Correctomundo!
                              If it's indeed confusing, then shouldn't TDs attempt to avoid the confusion by calling it Intermediate (or INT - is that too hard to spell?)?

Comment

oops, now I did it again

I’ll give you IE, as I should of used internet explorer or internet browser instead. However, word processing program… it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that one. Should I have used word processing program brand names like Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.Org Writer? How about not being lazy… If you are too lazy to use a spell checking program or dictionary, then in my opinion you should not be a Tournament Director.
                                WOWZA!
                                Yo Uhlman,
                                I thought we were ribbing, my bad.
                                I'm actually not too bad of a speller and I was totally joking about spelling intermediate.
                                I think it's easier to spell than amateur for most peeps.
                                As far as being lazy? Nah, at 57 years young I do get a bit tired sooner.
                                The spelling of a word or where it's used just doesn't seem as important as long as the message gets communicated.
                                FWIW.
                                I make a point of having fun with fellers and some gals (who can handle it) that get so picky about grammar.
                                I am seriously sorry if I offended you.
                                Yose
                                - Anonymous

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X