X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancillary Games and the conflict of interest they support

The pDGA states Like an Ace pot Series payouts are not I repeat not required to follow the NATIONAL Am guidelines set forth.

That means Am's can take cash for series play.
    If that the case why do we as Am allow series to hold us hostage to whatever whim they see fit. If they can make money off of you you can bet your ass they will is my best rational for them

If series payout/fees are like an Ace pot
    What would happen if a player refused to allow said series deduction to be taken from his/her entry fee.

As a TD then would you have the balls to not allow someone to enter becasue they balked at the series fees being deducted.

I say all series payouts should be in cash.

I am also going to post this on the pDGA thread
    rewindb.com

If you're running the series, Am payouts can be cash if none of the events are PDGA sanctioned. But if the series TD wants Am payouts to be in merch to supplement event expenses, isn't that their prerogative?

Comment

I agree Chuck Hence the conflict of intrest
      rewindb.com

Comment

What's the conflict?

Comment

I think you should allow people to add themselves into a series if they choose to do so. They should not be automatically added to the series. Nor should series fees be a requirement to participate in one event from a series.

The ACE POT, it is a side bet that the player may choose to be part of.
          Shouldn't the player also have a choice to participate in the series side bet as well?

I completely understand why the PDGA has issue with cash payout for an AMATEUR series. It undermines the concept of amateur play.

It also makes me ponder this question: If a player can easily win more CASH in a lower division wouldn't it promote sandbagging?
          Last edited by jshrack; October 18th, 2010, 04:16 PM.
          When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Jub, do you seriously just continue to look for things to be upset about? I understand what you are saying about the possibility of the series fee being a voluntary thing. When I lived in Michigan, there were tournaments that would be part of the Can-Am series and the MDGO series at the same time. As a player you could enter as a single tourney or pay one or both series fees on top of it to have you score count as part of the series.

As for how it worked? fine, I guess, except that there was probably a smaller payout for the series finishers. This being said, I don't think I would have walked away from the event if the organizers said that 3 dollars of my entry was going to series payouts. I must say that I feel that if I was ever "held hostage" as you so eloquently put it, I would hope that someone would (a) ask for more than three bucks and (b) someone like my wife would want to pony up at least a twenty for my release.

Ransom? Dude, mellow out and let the people enjoy their tourneys even if they are helping to support (see, others helping out a series) something that they may not personally benefit from monetarily at the end.

Later,
            Papa
            Last edited by papatart; October 18th, 2010, 04:24 PM. Reason: said ransom instead of hostage
            Team Discraft
            Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

Scott all valid points I am just looking for some clarification was all.
              rewindb.com

Comment

What is the point of bringing this up? Now series coordinators and qualifiers are out to get us. I don't get it Jub. I know you are just looking for discussion but why try and turn amateur players against the series? The people, clubs, and companies that have sponsored and run tournaments that make up the series are the ones that profit from script payouts. The money raised from script is usually given back in one way or another or is making up for what has already been given. How is this a bad thing? Am I missing something?
                Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Oh, Jub... I champion the "questioner" in your spirit. Yet, I am left only to wonder at the shadows you see as suspect.
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

The question that Jub was trying to ask is "does accepting cash from a series affect the amature status of a player"? Or does a "series" fall under the "ancillary games" defined by the PDGA?
                    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                      The question that Jub was trying to ask is "does accepting cash from a series affect the armature status of a player"? Or does a "series" fall under the "ancillary games" defined by the PDGA?
                      Man Chris
                      I should send things through you more often.

From Chucks answer

... "that if it's a group of sanctioned events, then it falls under the same guidelines required to sanction each of them."
                      rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                        Man Chris
                        I should send things through you more often.

From Chucks answer

... "that if it's a group of sanctioned events, then it falls under the same guidelines required to sanction each of them."
                        Yes, Jub, you should! Its not about what you say, its often about how you say it!
                        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

another question is...
                          What happens should an amateur accept cash in this way?
                          How about when NCAA rules are mixed into the equation?

It makes you wonder when kids like Wiggins might be throwing out a NCAA World Championships bid.
                          When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                            Yes, Jub, you should! Its not about what you say, its often about how you say it!
                            We really need a "Like" button...

Oh... and Jub.... Carville not Carvell.
                            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
                              another question is...
                              What happens should an amateur accept cash in this way?
                              How about when NCAA rules are mixed into the equation?

It makes you wonder when kids like Wiggins might be throwing out a NCAA World Championships bid.
                              That is an interesting point. I would think if a series were not sanctioned by the PDGA or other governing body like the NCAA it would be akin to hitting an ace pot as an AM at a PDGA sanctioned tournament or accepting cash at a non-sanctioned tournament. But this is just me.
                              Throw What You Know.
                              "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                              PDGA# 45989

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X