X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basket placement

I'm fairly sure there are rules governing what a PDGA approved basket is.
    What about how it is placed on the course.
    I have seen a basket hanging from a tree and one on a ridiculously long pole.
    Isn't there a rule regarding how high off the ground the basket is?

Wes, What gives? Did you bogey #2 at the Grove?

Comment

No. As I remember, that placement got me a stroke on everyone on the card.
      Or at least Sam. I can picture his putt going up and up and- oops, too low.
      When a good putter misses a putt I often question why. The fact that I made my putt makes it even more suspect!

It's NOT about that hole, or who put it in. Or what course it's at.
      It's about the rules and consistency.
      I didn't like the one hanging in a tree either. On a hill, made of dirt.
      I think I double-boged that.
      But if #2 in CG is OK, why not a 4" pole and a hole on the ground?
      Sincerely- isn't there a rule on that?
      It's a fine line. The stump hole at Milo is on a natural element for added height.
      A pole to do the same seems wrong though.
      To me.
      I just want to know if it's truly legal according to the rules.

And, because this forum is read by PDGA board members... if it ain't against the rules, why not?

Comment

The important dimension for consistency in disc golf targets is the height of the gap (Target Zone TZ) between the top of the basket tray and the bottom of the chain supports. What height the TZ is off the ground isn't nearly as important. Even if all baskets were exactly the same height off the ground, the ground itself varies so you would be throwing up or down at the TZ anyways. Some terrain is pretty flat and course designers are allowed to vary the height of the TZ in a way that produces an effect similar to being placed on a hill, ledge or in a hole by using longer or shorter poles or suspending the target.

Comment

What he said,
          " course designers are allowed to vary the height of the TZ"
          Thats the rule, broad based, but??????
          Must aim for the TZ

Comment

Odd.
            Thanks Chuck.

Comment

I like when the tz is challanging, through tight trees, around blind courners, up hills, down hills. I love the challange, crystal mountain #18, one of my favoite dg holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
                I didn't like the one hanging in a tree either. On a hill, made of dirt.
                You sounded like Dr. Seuss right there.

I like an elevated basket, but only if it is achieved without a gimmick. Hanging from a tree sounds a little contrived. What would really make it awesome is if it had someone on the other end of the rope making the bucket go up and down like a pinata.
                The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post

I like an elevated basket, but only if it is achieved without a gimmick. Hanging from a tree sounds a little contrived. What would really make it awesome is if it had someone on the other end of the rope making the bucket go up and down like a pinata.
                  See Howliewood!
                  A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post

And disc golf's equivalent of Putt-Putt was born....
                    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

And disc golf's equivalent of Putt-Putt was born....
                      If we could only have the success they've had over the years including live TV coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                        The important dimension for consistency in disc golf targets is the height of the gap (Target Zone TZ) between the top of the basket tray and the bottom of the chain supports. What height the TZ is off the ground isn't nearly as important. Even if all baskets were exactly the same height off the ground, the ground itself varies so you would be throwing up or down at the TZ anyways. Some terrain is pretty flat and course designers are allowed to vary the height of the TZ in a way that produces an effect similar to being placed on a hill, ledge or in a hole by using longer or shorter poles or suspending the target.
                        According to the Disc Golf Target Specifications - PDGA Approved - February 2009 -- Rim Height above grade is supposed to be 82 +/- 6 cm. That works out to 29.9 to 34.6 inches. Is that a rule or a guideline?

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...ards_61510.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDriver View Post
                          According to the Disc Golf Target Specifications - PDGA Approved - February 2009 -- Rim Height above grade is supposed to be 82 +/- 6 cm. That works out to 29.9 to 34.6 inches. Is that a rule or a guideline?

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...ards_61510.pdf
                          considering that these are the only standards allowed on baskets that are in any PDGA A or B class sanctioned tournament, I would say the zone would have to be of that height also. Other targets that fall outside this guideline can not be used in a sanctioned tournament, except in a C class I believe.

Comment

The Rim Height guideline is a spec for how targets are manufactured, not how they are installed on a course. The manufacturing guideline is for consistency in target production so buyers know what to expect for dimensions. The height they can be installed is a separate issue overseen by the Course Committee, not the Tech Standards group. I'm a member of both groups. The Course Committee doesn't have a problem with installing some targets at different heights. Committee members range from preferring no more than 3 up to no more than 6 at non-standard heights out of 18 holes.

Comment

It all seems rather arbitrary on any topography other than a vast flat plane.
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X