Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm fine with elevated baskets for the most part. One sticky situation that I've seen mentioned though is if the basket is tall enough, and the 2 meter rule is in effect, you could be penalized for a DROT.
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      you could be penalized for a DROT.
      Really?? Who's that much of an asshole?
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

At the now extinct (RIP) Mossy Roc, there was a basket on top of a huge stump, or maybe it was a broken in half tree, which itself was on a small 4 ft tall mound. This is much higher up than the Stump shot at Milo McIver. You were throwing at an angle roughly equivalent to the angle on Terrace Creek #2, if your in the circle below basket. I would routinely triple bogey this hole, going back and forth, overshooting my putt multiple times. However, it was a short hole, and I always felt as though I had the opportunity to ace it from the tee, which alleviated any sense of frustration regarding the extreme putting angle. So, I can see a place for the highly elevated basket, but certainly use it sparingly and with as much risk/reward as possible from tee. Also, high basket means there must be a way to reach any DROT discs.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          I'd be scared to ask. It could happen though, is the point. Hopefully a TD would make an exemption in that case, but in the right situation, a player could legitimately be stroked for it.
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
            The Rim Height guideline is a spec for how targets are manufactured, not how they are installed on a course. The manufacturing guideline is for consistency in target production so buyers know what to expect for dimensions. The height they can be installed is a separate issue overseen by the Course Committee, not the Tech Standards group. I'm a member of both groups. The Course Committee doesn't have a problem with installing some targets at different heights. Committee members range from preferring no more than 3 up to no more than 6 at non-standard heights out of 18 holes.
            Question for you then, if the height of the basket does not matter and is only so that buyers know what to expect for dimensions, then why is only certain baskets complying with certain specs allowed to be used in certain tournaments? There are basic targets, suitable for league and x-tier events, standard targets suitable for up to B tier events and championship targets, which you must have for A tier events.

Comment

Not sure what you are asking? There are several other dimensions besides rim height, plus different construction materials that constitute what's required in a target to meet Basic, Standard and Championship qualification.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                Not sure what you are asking? There are several other dimensions besides rim height, plus different construction materials that constitute what's required in a target to meet Basic, Standard and Championship qualification.
                If rim height was not important on which baskets qualified to be championship so that players have something standard, then how could it not be the intention of PDGA not to have the baskets placed in the ground at a point where the average height of the rim does not meet those specs? I thought that this is the case, so even though I have a couple of baskets in stumps myself, I made sure that the rim height did not vary from as if the baskets were simply placed in the ground by cutting down the stumps.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhound View Post
                  I like when the tz is challanging, through tight trees, around blind courners, up hills, down hills. I love the challange, crystal mountain #18, one of my favoite dg holes.
                  agreed!

Nothing like rockin a birdie on a hole that epic!!
                  "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                  -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                    Do you really want me to name names?

I have seen a lot of bogus calls from a few specific individuals...
                    "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

If rim height was not important on which baskets qualified to be championship so that players have something standard, then how could it not be the intention of PDGA not to have the baskets placed in the ground at a point where the average height of the rim does not meet those specs?
                      The rim height spec is so installers know what to expect, not necessarily players. Imagine if there were no rim height spec for manufacturing? Less interchangeability for upgrades to most baskets. Allowing some targets to be installed at different heights means only a few might need to be modified for special installations.

Comment

Basket placement. Make it as tough as possible. The more you have to think on the course the more chance you have of gaining strokes.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X