Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It being a players association I figured we, as the players, kind of write the rules, or, at least, can mention a possible change to the board and expect an explaination. This conversation is an attempt to see if anyone else feels the way I do or if most people feel pretty comfortable with the way the rule is written. I know there are some that are confused by it but I don't think they make up the majority.

Judging foot faults in this sport is a joke aside from someone stepping on their lie or someone guilty of a falling put; just about every other foot fault judgement needs film.

Mike
    WA ST Approved PDGA Schedule

4DiscGolf - a tournament directors best friend!!!

Tournament Directors - register your event HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Rideout View Post
      This conversation is an attempt to see if anyone else feels the way I do or if most people feel pretty comfortable with the way the rule is written.
      FWIW, I have no problem with the rule as it is written, in spirit or in law, and actually find your suggestion more confusing and troublesome.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I don't understand why we get to choose between two different lies.

We are given 30cm behind our lie (or about 1/4" less than 1 foot, 11 3/4"). Why does the player get to choose if the 30cm starts from the front or the back of the disc he/she threw? Does any other sport allow such a choice to be made by the player?

It seems to me that the lie should always be calculated from the front of the thown disc, yet there is no place in the rules (at least, I couldn't find it anywhere) that establishes this.

I think a player that chooses to leave their thrown disc on the ground as their lie must keep their stance for the next shot within 30cm of the front of disc, not the back. Yet, it seems to be widely accepted to not even question why we have two acceptable lies to choose from.

Any thoughts?

Mike Rideout
        Really?

You read an article with this diagram in it and THAT'S your comment? Let alone the insane notions about thrown discs needing to be perfectly FLAT on the ground to be considered 'on the playing surface' and eligible to be used as your marker and THIS is what binds your britches?

I had three rules 'discussions' at last weekend's event at Horning's Hideout. One on having all of your support points on the teeing surface, one on the line of play behind your mini marker going to the wrong side of the mando and the last one about lifting the foot on the line of play off the ground before throwing from a backstance. These rules get abused all of the time without making weird rule extrapolations to further complicate the rules that we already play under.

But the real bitch of the whole thing is the very real problem of having 'official rules' NOT be in a printed format that can be carried on the course. First the problem was with the rulebook and the competition manual being separate, but to now include the Rules Q&As AND the 'Rules School' from the PDGA forum that STILL won't let me post, I'm gonna have to call BS on the whole thing and say F the rules!

Now I'm gonna have to change my stupid signature...
        Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
        Remain ye men of faculty complete,
        Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
        Attending to our noble bond and contract?
        Or does here stand the last remaining man
        To give a fig for rules and order yet,
        No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
        Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
        Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

I find it funny that the pdga jumped on the metric system in the late 70s (it was a big thing that the US was going to switch over in the 80s) and they stuck with it, though Ronnie RayGun said no way (better to deregulate banking). But really, how many out there know how long 30cm is...come on...beuller...
          educate your thinking

Comment

WOW!!! WTF Sausage Fingers? I didn't realize I had a bitch or a binding of the britches. I was bringing up a point, which I thought was related to the original topic, that some players and myself had a discussion about during a tournament. We thought it was hard to find an absolute solution to our question in the rules as they are printed. I figured I would bring the discussion here for some worthey feedback. Is my question about the rules any less relevant than any other question?

Thanks Ken, it does help.

When I am out there I definitley think of it at a 1/4" less than a foot.

Mike
            Last edited by Rideout; August 23rd, 2010, 09:11 PM.

Comment

WOW!!! God Damn Sausage Fingers... WTF? I didn't realize I had a bitch or a binding of the britches. I was bringing up a point, which I thought was related to the original topic, that some players and myself had a discussion about during a tournament. We thought it was hard to find an absolute solution to our question in the rules as they are printed. I figured I would bring the discussion here for some worthey feedback. Is my question about the rules any less relevant than any other question?

Thanks Ken, it does help.

When I am out there I definitley think of it at a 1/4" less than a foot.

Mike
              Hey Mike, you know I gots nothin but LOVE for ya baby!

My post wasn't trying to demean your asking for discussion on your topic, or even comment on your topic, that's all good. I am just flabbergasted by the rules extrapolations in the 'Rules School' thread. That's like hearing that all people will have 666 tattooed on their foreheads and discussing the font that will be used...

But if you really want my opinion on the current rule, I don't have a problem with getting the option to change your lie by the diameter of your previously thrown disc. It doesn't even begin to open the can of worms that a "Flight Line of Play" would...

@JMan-That banking deregulation worked out pretty sweet for the bankers...didn't it!
              Just another argument for the killing to start now...

Comment

still working good...
                educate your thinking

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                  But the real bitch of the whole thing is the very real problem of having 'official rules' NOT be in a printed format that can be carried on the course. First the problem was with the rulebook and the competition manual being separate, but to now include the Rules Q&As AND the 'Rules School' from the PDGA forum that STILL won't let me post, I'm gonna have to call BS on the whole thing and say F the rules!

Now I'm gonna have to change my stupid signature...
                  I agree whole-heartedly. It is inane to have multiple references for official rules when the rules book hasn't been updated in years.
                  The discussion needs to be done by the rules committee and finalized in the official rules. These rules need to be updated and put into a hard copy format for tournament players and officials to reference on site when a problem arises.

No more references to online content and no more 'rules committee approved' articles. Notice that this edition of 'rules school' has been removed from the site... seem like some controversy happened.

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=34406
                  When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Right on Jordan.

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                      I find it funny that the pdga jumped on the metric system in the late 70s (it was a big thing that the US was going to switch over in the 80s) and they stuck with it, though Ronnie RayGun said no way (better to deregulate banking). But really, how many out there know how long 30cm is...come on...beuller...
                      30cm is less than a paper clip's width less than a foot. I mean adding 4.8mm in this game is a whole lot. Heck that could be the difference between a birdie and par.
                      Last edited by Uhlman; August 24th, 2010, 07:47 AM.
                      Throw What You Know.
                      "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                      PDGA# 45989

Comment

Marking a Lie article is back up. Rules Committee decided Flight Line of Play not broadly supportable in current rules wording. Clarification comments from them to come. http://www.pdga.com/marking-a-lie
                        Last edited by Chuck Kennedy; August 24th, 2010, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Right on Jordan.
                          He's Justin, I'm Jordan. Unless you were championing someone else's rant who also happens to be named Jordan. I agree with both of you, online rules don't have the same weight as what's written in my official rules book.
                          The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Sausage Fingers = Jordan
                            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

ChUcK = Sausage Brains
                              The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
                                ChUcK = Sausage Brains
                                Damn ChUck, I never knew your name was Jordan too... pass some of those sausage brains over here too...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X