Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marking a Lie

New PDGA Rules School topic: http://www.pdga.com/marking-a-lie

Thanks Chuck! I really like the Rules School posts.

Comment

I don't understand why we get to choose between two different lies.

We are given 30cm behind our lie (or about 1/4" less than 1 foot, 11 3/4"). Why does the player get to choose if the 30cm starts from the front or the back of the disc he/she threw? Does any other sport allow such a choice to be made by the player?

It seems to me that the lie should always be calculated from the front of the thown disc, yet there is no place in the rules (at least, I couldn't find it anywhere) that establishes this.

I think a player that chooses to leave their thrown disc on the ground as their lie must keep their stance for the next shot within 30cm of the front of disc, not the back. Yet, it seems to be widely accepted to not even question why we have two acceptable lies to choose from.

Any thoughts?

Mike Rideout
      Last edited by Rideout; August 23rd, 2010, 11:29 AM.
      WA ST Approved PDGA Schedule

4DiscGolf - a tournament directors best friend!!!

Tournament Directors - register your event HERE

Comment

Maybe it would help to clear things up if the rules were to say "within 30 cm of the rear of the marking disc."
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Maybe make marking your lie with a mini mandatory? Just a thought, not an opinion.
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
            Maybe make marking your lie with a mini mandatory? Just a thought, not an opinion.
            That used to be the rule, but it was found to aid the speed of play by allowing players to use their thrown disc as the marker. I like that rule because I almost always opt to just throw from my disc, plus I like having the extra element of strategy if you're stuck behind a tree or something.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I like that you can choose. Comes in handy sometimes.

Comment

I couldn't agree more that it is nice to choose because it does add that element of strategy, but should it? I know that ball golf needs a different set of rules because it is a different sport, but could you imagine an option of choosing where your lie could be placed in a sport that is so founded on the old saying, "you must play it from where it lies"?

Either way it is the discrepancy that I don't like. How about just making it 50cm from the front of the thrown disc or the rear of the marker disc. This would include the full range we are given now and it would clear up any confusion.

Mike

Comment

To some extent, the rule that allows the disc to be used as a marker is also safety related (not hitting your hand on a trunk), which can make a difference if your thrown disc is just behind a tree trunk. Disc golf is not really a game where we "play it where it lies" like ball golf. We "take a stance from where it lies" but the disc release point for the next throw can be from any of a thousand different release points in space.

Comment

All the same, my problem is still in the discrepancy with the way the rule is worded. I agree that a longer line, of which, a player gets to choose where they mark their lie not only resolves some safety issues but also gives some strategy to the players game.

It just seems crazy to me that when a player asks me about this rule at one of my tourneys, I have to tell them that they have 30cm from behind their thrown disc or they have 30 cm from behind their marker disc. Especially since the player can't put their thrown disc back down after picking it up. We allow a group decission for marking a lie with other lie mishaps, why not this one as well?

Mike Rideout

Comment

Looks like one of those things where you have to change the system from the inside. I'd make the priority somewhere below getting rid of the designated hitter.
                      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

It just seems crazy to me that when a player asks me about this rule at one of my tourneys, I have to tell them that they have 30cm from behind their thrown disc or they have 30 cm from behind their marker disc.
                        That's not what you tell them. They have 30cm behind their marker disc. The "marker" is defined as a mini if used, or the thrown disc if it's lying flat on the ground and they choose to use it as their marker.

Comment

I understand the marker is either the mini or the thrown disc. I switched the words mini and marker in my last post. There, now that little typo is explained.

Doesn't it still come down to the player having 30cm behind their mini or 30cm behind their thrown disc?

A lie should be determined by the edge of the thrown disc that is closest to the pin. A player should then have 50cm behind his/her lie in line with the lie and the basket.

This seems much more clear to me.

Mike

Comment

PDGA discussion...

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=34406
                            When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

The lie is whatever those who write the rules want it to be. There's no natural answer like ball golf where the ball is played from where it lies. Given a choice, I would prefer we went back to the original rule that required a mini marker be used. I'm not sure 50 cm would be easier to judge for foot faults than 30cm since 30cm is closer to the size of a player's foot.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X