Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old news Jub. The PDGA non-member fee started in the late 90s ($5 then but membership was also lower). Most non-members have not stopped entering and pay the fee. Some surprisingly pay it more than five times per year.

Comment

Sounds a bit too elitist to me.

However, I agree that there needs to be some sort of qualification process added to the fast filling tournaments out there. And it'll be hard to add such a process without it appearing a little elitist.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
        Old news Jub. The PDGA non-member fee started in the late 90s ($5 then but membership was also lower). Most non-members have not stopped entering and pay the fee. Some surprisingly pay it more than five times per year.
        Like I said it use to be. $5/ lower membership still the same rational

I would like to see the stats of
        1. How many nons vs reg play?
        2. The percentage of the nons who play more than 5 times/year?*

I bet the stats are only kept as total number and the dollar amount.

Todd's excuse of" regional differences" and the pDGA not pursuing national policy once again leaves it up to the TD "The boots on the ground" person.

* That's easy money for the pDGA then, No stats, no mag just "clear blue sky"
        rewindb.com

Comment

I would like to see the stats of
          How many nons vs reg play?
          The percentage of the nons who play more than 5 times/year?*
          Contact PDGA HQ
          I bet the stats are only kept as total number and the dollar amount.
          Details are tracked.
          Todd's excuse of" regional differences" and the pDGA not pursuing national policy once again leaves it up to the TD "The boots on the ground" person.
          Balance between forcing TDs to do certain things versus providing flexibility for TDs to deal with regional and other situational conditions.
          * That's easy money for the pDGA then, No stats, no mag just "clear blue sky"
          Absolutely. Why shouldn't non-member fees subsidize costs for members?

Comment

Contact PDGA HQ

Details are tracked.
            My question is then
            How does the pDGA convince these people to play sanctioned events but not ACTUALLY join the organization?

Balance between forcing TDs to do certain things versus providing flexibility for TDs to deal with regional and other situational conditions.
            It's funny how forced/flexibility is used and how each is applied Like the 0 tolerance (forced) but the bagger (flexibility) policies. Lets call it what it really is C.Y.A.

Absolutely. Why shouldn't non-member fees subsidize costs for members?
            If that's right Chuck then why has my membership fee's kept going up then?
            To the sacred cow that is The IDGC! In Georgia?
            1. How does the pDGA reconcile itself by purchasing fundraising discs from one of the manufactures it's supposed to be regulating? Is that contract up for bids? How often?
            2. The speculation on the wholesale costs of producing the USDGC and Worlds Videos?
              Jeez i went to the "little red box" and could not find one of them anywhere
            3. How about the insurance policy scam. How does that work? We all now insurance companies are so magnanimous in the service they provide. I can't imagine the policy costs anywhere near the revenue generated.
            rewindb.com

Comment

The reality is that more services that volunteers have been doing for years are now gradually being paid for, but still mostly below market rates. If all volunteer efforts on the members' behalf were paid for, dues might be $200 annually, maybe more. Members have had many services provided free by volunteers to the org for a long time. I think Todd can tell you that the IDGC facility costs are actually cheaper than equivalent commercial space in the area and we get the three courses there as a bonus. Those courses were mostly paid for by manufacturer and member donations, not out of operating funds. The pro shop is doing really well with many locals driving out to the IDGC just to buy stuff at the pro shop and not even play that visit.

You have likely started seeing more services paid for at the local level with more TDs not paying out of their pockets to run events and maybe breaking even or making sub-minimum wages for their efforts. Once Park Depts start running events sometime down the road, the true costs of running an event will be seen in lower payouts. That won't happen until TDs start taking what they deserve for running events, which the PDGA allows them to do, but many have been reluctant to do so. That's starting to change slowly.

All manufacturers have access to provide the discs purchased for fundraising. PDGA takes the better deal offered or sometimes spreads it around. USDGC video isn't done or even funded by the PDGA other than maybe an ad. The Worlds DVD cost is eventually recovered in about 3 years or less. This year is likely to be even better with a lower bid than we've had and the quality appears to be as good or better based on early clips during Worlds. The PDGA insurance provider apparently provides very competitive rates if TDs are using the service. If other providers are out there, TDs are free to use them.
              Last edited by Chuck Kennedy; August 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Just to add to Chuck's rebuttal, PDGA dues have not increased in at lease four years and we don't see a need to increase them anytime soon. Also, the Oregon Series looked into a separate insurance policy for our events and the quotes we received for that service were double and triple what we could get from the PDGA.

If I didn't know better JUb, one would think you worked for Fox News with your inattention to detail and lack of fact gathering. But hey, thanks again for your support.
                Regards,

Todd Andrews

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Andrews View Post

If I didn't know better JUb, one would think you worked for Fox News with your inattention to detail and lack of fact gathering. But hey, thanks again for your support.

Just another day in Jubs brain.............

Comment

Just to add to Chuck's rebuttal, PDGA dues have not increased in at lease four years and we don't see a need to increase them anytime soon.
                    Plain and simple That's cause you have the cash cow of non members fees from dumb asses who pay the $10 and play more then 5 times per year. Still all "Clear Blue Sky"

. Also, the Oregon Series looked into a separate insurance policy for our events and the quotes we received for that service were double and triple what we could get from the PDGA.
                    Funny the quotes I have seen are really quite reasonable for 24/7 365. Todd you just don't see the bigger picture is all.

Nice jab Todd. Maybe the fact that info coming from the pDGA is like pulling hens teeth. I find it interesting that as a national organization the 501.3c info we all have paid for is not available for any of us to use locally.

Want to know away to really increase membership.

Offer only two divisions Am and Pro. Oh! wait the money comes from Am's

Another short coming of DG is the coziness in which the manufactures perpetuate their own interests by allowing not only Legit wholesaler's to carry inventory but then every todd dick and harry can buy CFR's for any specific event.
                    rewindb.com

Comment

what about Tom?

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                      Another short coming of DG is the coziness in which the manufactures perpetuate their own interests by allowing not only Legit wholesaler's to carry inventory but then every todd dick and harry can buy CFR's for any specific event.
                      This I don't get.
                      Our club has used the CFR program with great success.
                      For example.... some of the baskets at Whistlers Bend were purchased thru CFR gigs. (thank you INNOVA!!!!!!!!)

What's this got to do about the PDGA?
                      Jub, grab Kilmer and head to Whistlers.
                      Breathe in the air, (hold it in for a few seconds), then jump in the North Umpqua and cool off.
                      Were you trying to be funny with your todd,dick and harry?
                      I chuckled.
                      FWIW... I'd love to see two major disc golf associations.
                      ProDGA & AmDGA
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
                        This I don't get.
                        Our club has used the CFR program with great success.
                        For example.... some of the baskets at Whistlers Bend were purchased thru CFR gigs. (thank you INNOVA!!!!!!!!)
                        That's the point It's a conflict of interest
                        If you assume there are only so many discs that will sell in a year in any specific area
                        If a business carries a manufactures line year round
                        then is undercut by the same manufacturer with CFR's (not only by price but but with only certain molds are available in this or that type of plastic)

Asks the question
                        Why would any wholesale stock year round when he can just run events and skim off the top?*

* set aside the ethical points of taxes at Fed, State, B/O and Sales. Which I bet no TD's even claim on the personal taxes.

This sport will only become legit when all parties involved declare there gains to the tax man.
                        rewindb.com

Comment

The funny thing is about Faux news is there is just enough truth in their biased coverage for them to hide behind.

Here is a good one.

Oil Spill in Gulf Terrorist attack!
                          Foreign entity causes explosion on Oil Rig
                          Pollutes US waters and wastes Tax dollars
                          rewindb.com

Comment

Plain and simple That's cause you have the cash cow of non members fees from dumb asses who pay the $10 and play more then 5 times per year. Still all "Clear Blue Sky"
                            Why do you have a problem with non-members helping to keep membership fees where they are? Incidentally, those fees are accounted for under Tour Events in the financial summary found here: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...ary_Public.pdf . They comprise less than one fifth of the income received in that category and has remained relatively static for the last few years. It has also proven to be a reliable method for attracting new members. Recently we have been focusing on new marketing initiatives, sponsorship and other things that offset our need to raise fees. BTW, raising those fees from $5 to $10 was one of the main requests that people I talked to wanted to see happen when I joined the BoD.

Funny the quotes I have seen are really quite reasonable for 24/7 365. Todd you just don't see the bigger picture is all.
                            Well, then your insurance agent is more adept at manipulating the figures than the underwriter I talked to. And the bigger picture that we were looking at was trying to make the Oregon Series tournaments better for everyone involved. BTW, the PDGA makes about $2000 from the insurance that we provide.

Nice jab Todd. Maybe the fact that info coming from the pDGA is like pulling hens teeth. I find it interesting that as a national organization the 501.3c info we all have paid for is not available for any of us to use locally.
                            If you want more information than what is available on the website, (Like what I posted the link to above.) it is freely available to any member. All you have to do is contact the office and request the specific information you are interested in.

Want to know away to really increase membership.

Offer only two divisions Am and Pro. Oh! wait the money comes from Am's.
                            Actually, the reason that the Pro's have a higher membership fee is to pay for the things that directly benefit them and I have worked diligently to make sure that it stays that way. This is exactly the way we did it for the ORS. TD's were not allowed to take money from the Ams and redirect it to the Pro purse. Incidentally, I have been working for the last few years on a restructuring plan for the PDGA that does just what you are proposing. We have switched over to new accounting programs and I have been pushing to get the exact numbers for what everything costs including the differences between Am and Pro memberships.

As always, you are making assumptions about accounting and policies which you know nothing about. All you have to do is talk to a BoD member and ask some simple questions and you may be able to get the information you so desire. But no, you have to come on here and regurgitate hearsay and innuendo in public and act like and ass. Keep up the good work.
                            Regards,

Todd Andrews

Comment

As always, you are making assumptions about accounting and policies which you know nothing about. All you have to do is talk to a BoD member and ask some simple questions and you may be able to get the information you so desire. But no, you have to come on here and regurgitate hearsay and innuendo in public and act like and ass. Keep up the good work.
                              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

and i thought getting an answer straight from the PDGA was so hard? great stuff...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X