Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A possible way to increase membership..

A buddy of mine was up from California last week. He tried to sign up for a very popular tourney occurring down there in the near future (108 spots). Of course, the tourney filled up the first day of sign-ups. There are about 65 players signed up for ADV and ADV Masters. About 25% do not have a PDGA number. I think it would be fair to give PDGA members priority to the sign up list. This might give the others incentive to become members. People down there were complaining that certain non-members were given preferential treatment (friends of the TD, more experienced players etc). Anyway, my friend was miffed for not getting in and I would be too.. Todd??

Cheers

Originally posted by PDX_Stu View Post
    A buddy of mine was up from California last week. He tried to sign up for a very popular tourney occurring down there in the near future (108 spots). Of course, the tourney filled up the first day of sign-ups. There are about 65 players signed up for ADV and ADV Masters. About 25% do not have a PDGA number. I think it would be fair to give PDGA members priority to the sign up list. This might give the others incentive to become members. People down there were complaining that certain non-members were given preferential treatment (friends of the TD, more experienced players etc). Anyway, my friend was miffed for not getting in and I would be too.. Todd??

Cheers
    PDGA members receive priority when signing up for PDGA tournaments? On the surface this makes a lot of sense.

I'd be interested in hearing from some of our resident PDGA insiders. Has anything like this been discussed before?

Comment

Great idea!!!

Comment

There's no PDGA policy preventing TDs from allowing only PDGA members to enter an event for some time period to give them a chance. But that would be up to the TD. Several PDGA events are invitationals or qualifiers as it is.

Comment

As a 10-year member who has never lapsed: I think it's a great idea.
          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I have lapsed. I also think that this is a great idea.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Ditto I agree.

Cindy
              Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
              2013 Chick Flick co-TD
              Stumptown #176
              PDGA #37716

Comment

I'm all about FAIR, and this sounds like a very FAIR idea. Hmmmmm! If you are a paid PDGA member you get a shot at the BSF before non members? Yep, sounds fair to me!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                  I'm all about FAIR, and this sounds like a very FAIR idea. Hmmmmm! If you are a paid PDGA member you get a shot at the BSF before non members? Yep, sounds fair to me!

Bob
                  I don't think that this applies to the BSF as it is already required to be a PDGA member to play in that tourney...
                  Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                  Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                  Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                  Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                  Or does here stand the last remaining man
                  To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                  No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                  Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                  Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                    I don't think that this applies to the BSF as it is already required to be a PDGA member to play in that tourney...
                    Dang it! Ok, the GNO!

Bob

Comment

up to the td.... but PDGA could make an official announcement "encouraging" td's to give priority to PDGA members?

Comment

It's a balancing act for TDs and the PDGA. The assumption is that PDGA sanctioning helps fill tournaments. But TDs also do events as a courtesy to the PDGA and should still have the option to fill them with whatever players they can encourage to enter. Many times, they are local promoters and they may see it as beneficial to get new non-PDGA members involved in competition. But it might be worthwhile to indicate in the PDGA docs for TDs that they have the option to restrict entry to only PDGA members for some time period.

Comment

I like the idea. However, the problem with requiring something like that for all PDGA events is that in some parts of the country they don't have as high a percentage of PDGA members as we do here. The TD's in those areas would be put at a disadvantage and it wouldn't be advantageous for them to do this. So, to that end, I would agree that it is up to the individual TD to determine whether they should institute a policy like this or not.
                          Regards,

Todd Andrews

Comment

Not a requirement. A suggestion. Offer early (read priority) registration rights to PDGA members for PDGA sanctioned events. If not all of them, at a certain level and above. I am surprised that this is not already suggested in the TD packet, actually.
                            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

It use to be. It was called the bump rule!

but with the invention of the $10 non fee it kills both ideas. Potential New members won't play at all or more then once for the extra $10. Why because they only play at certain courses so If the event is not at one of them they won't play and most certainly won't join.
                              rewindb.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X