Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you look up PDGA events and see ratings...

It seems odd to me that old events receive updated ratings for players.
    It would be more logical for the PDGA to lock a player's rating on the event pages at the rating the player had when they played the event.
    Right?

I did wonder about that when I joined the PDGA, but realized that is asking for a lot of computer geekness to be able to set up the programming to memorize ratings at the time of each tournament while updating the players ratings seprately. It is easy to have one code that updates the players rating wherever that player is in PDGA database, plus the same program/code is used when TD's enter registered players to their tournaments and it automatically retrieves the players ratings into the tournament registered list. If someone really wants to know what the player was rated at the time of the tournament, simply look up the player's ratings history and see what their rating was during that time frame? Less work for the PDGA's programming and keeps it simple and straight forward?

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
      I did wonder about that when I joined the PDGA, but realized that is asking for a lot of computer geekness to be able to set up the programming to memorize ratings at the time of each tournament while updating the players ratings seprately. It is easy to have one code that updates the players rating wherever that player is in PDGA database, plus the same program/code is used when TD's enter registered players to their tournaments and it automatically retrieves the players ratings into the tournament registered list. If someone really wants to know what the player was rated at the time of the tournament, simply look up the player's ratings history and see what their rating was during that time frame? Less work for the PDGA's programming and keeps it simple and straight forward?
      Actually, it's trickier to have the ratings change dynamically. It would be much simpler just to dump the data onto the page in text that would never change.

Comment

Scott's logic was the same I used.
        Event page info should never be subject to change (except to correct an error in fact), so why make it changeable?

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
          Scott's logic was the same I used.
          Event page info should never be subject to change (except to correct an error in fact), so why make it changeable?
          I don't know the history of this decision, but I suspect the answer is "because they can". Whoever programmed the site originally wrote it that way without anyone questioning if they should. Not all that uncommon, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
            It seems odd to me that old events receive updated ratings for players.
            It would be more logical for the PDGA to lock a player's rating on the event pages at the rating the player had when they played the event.
            Right?
            I agree Wes. That has always bothered me. For older tournament results it's difficult to get a perspective on how people did versus their ratings because you don't know what their rating was at that time.

Comment

I seem to remember Chuck K. saying something about how the old/new ratings thing was something a lot of people complained about. I think he said that a fix was in the works, but that was a while ago.
              Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Still in the works but closer. We will be able to populate all older events online with the ratings players had when they played the event once this project gets the priority. Theo might be able to comment if you run into him out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                  We will be able to populate all older events online with the ratings players had when they played the event once this project gets the priority.
                  Great news Chuck! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X