Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhmmmmm...wait...WHAT?!?!

In the latest PDGA Office Report, the following was discussed:

- The Board of Directors has agreed to accept the "Stockholm Consensus" as the standard for the PDGA to follow as it pertains to sex reassignment and sports competition.

Huh, does this come up often? There must have not been much else on the agenda for that meeting, but at least that is cleared up. That has got to be awkward at check in.

-"Name?"
    -"Chris"
    -"Division?"
    -"Advanced"
    -"Uhmmmmm.....men or women?"

Huh...I didn't even see that tree.
    PDGA #37890
    Stumptown #157
    ODW TDG 10-11
    3C&D TDG 09-10

I googled Stockholm Consensus but I can make heads or tails of it.
    Throw What You Know.
    "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
    PDGA# 45989

Comment

There was a problem a couple months ago with a gender changed female that used to be a male. She (he) stomped the field and some people complained about it.

There was a thread about it on DGCR but I'm to lazy to go find it.
      www.soulpancake.com
      www.bahai.org
      http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Makes sense...

The group confirms the previous recommendation that any "individuals undergoing sex reassignment of male to female before puberty should be regarded as girls and women" (female). This applies as well for female to male reassignment, who should be regarded as boys and men (male).

The group recommends that individuals undergoing sex reassignment from male to female after puberty (and the converse) be eligible for participation in female or male competitions, respectively, under the following conditions:

Surgical anatomical changes have been completed, including external genitalia changes and gonadectomy
        Legal recognition of their assigned sex has been conferred by the appropriate official authorities
        Hormonal therapy appropriate for the assigned sex has been administered in a verifiable manner and for a sufficient length of time to minimise gender-related advantages in sport competitions.
        In the opinion of the group, eligibility should begin no sooner than two years after gonadectomy.

It is understood that a confidential case-by-case evaluation will occur.

In the event that the gender of a competing athlete is questioned, the medical delegate (or equivalent) of the relevant sporting body shall have the authority to take all appropriate measures for the determination of the gender of a competitor.

"before puberty" is a very subjective term...although it's a subjective ruling.
        Two years of hormone therapy after a gender re-assignment seems reasonable... ?
        When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

D-Walk, why is it surprising that the Board would address this issue? Would you rather they deal with it on-the-fly in the middle of a tournament?
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by GettinBetter View Post
            There was a problem a couple months ago with a gender changed female that used to be a male. She (he) stomped the field and some people complained about it.
            I believe that this issue has come up before in relation to a WOMAN in the Seattle area. I think that this is an important issue for the board to cover and am glad that they did.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Would you rather they deal with it on-the-fly in the middle of a tournament?
              "Fly" being the operative term so to speak?

Comment

Lessee here, one should need only to observe the person long enough to know whether they will ask directions when they're lost, right?
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

It was a bit more complicated than that...
                  The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

There was a thread about it on DGCR but I'm to lazy to go find it.
                    The timing of this ruling made me think the same thing.

Here is the original 50 page thread that got locked
                    http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ghlight=gender

and the follow up thread about the PDGA "Stockholm Concensus" ruling

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ghlight=gender

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      I believe that this issue has come up before in relation to a WOMAN in the Seattle area. I think that this is an important issue for the board to cover and am glad that they did.
                      Right on Sam.
                      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

If I were a woman and I was playing against someone who is a post op woman and that someone threw alot farther than the rest of the ladies because of their physical strength as opposed to their technique, I would think it was highly unfair especially when competing for money. That would be pretty subjective and a bit tough to prove though especially given the fact that it's not very much money involved. I would love to see a post op man compete in the mens division. Somehow I don't think anyone would care to much.

Any problems for you Silly?
                        Read this ^

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
                          If I were a woman and I was playing against someone who is a post op woman and that someone threw alot farther than the rest of the ladies because of their physical strength as opposed to their technique, I would think it was highly unfair especially when competing for money. That would be pretty subjective and a bit tough to prove though especially given the fact that it's not very much money involved. I would love to see a post op man compete in the mens division. Somehow I don't think anyone would care to much.

Any problems for you Silly?
                          Size and strength doesn't necessarily make you a better disc golfer and if so is it then fair for a man who is 5'4 to compete against another man who is 6'4? I've known lots of smaller men who can out drive and out play my 6'1 230 pound frame.
                          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                            Size and strength doesn't necessarily make you a better disc golfer
                            True... but it doesn't hurt.

Comment

Aren't some of the substances ingested when a female turns male considered doping? Wouldn't a man turning woman be bringing some extra maleness to the game?

Having had a friend who was born hermaphrodite, medically assigned male gender as an infant, and was years in transiting back to female gender, I see nearly unworkable solutions to everyone's satisfaction. Fortunately, my friend wasn't any kind of competitive jock. Life itself handed her enough challenges to keep her occupied. She lived here and even had helped me in clearing some of the course before her health failed and she, sadly, died of cancer. She wasn't inclined to try hucking at that time in her life. I'm certain that when she was younger, Lillian would have had some good pop.
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X