X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    I saw something like this at a tournament once, though on a drive instead of a putt. On one a card that was on a nearby hole, a group had a junior with them. I heard one guy call a foot fault on the kid, and I thought to myself "Seriously? Calling penalties on a junior? What a dick!" But then I saw that the kid had actually shanked his first drive, and by getting the foot fault called, he got to retee without penalty. I guess that could be construed as circumventing the rules, but I wasn't offended by it.
    I've used this one in doubles before...calling a falling putt on a rec player. He didn't know the 10m rule and he missed the putt. Calling him on it taught him the rule and gave him another chance at an easy putt, (he missed again)!

sorry to continue the drift..
    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
      You're coming at the situation as if players will want to cheat as opposed to being honorable which is how the rules for golf and now disc golf were written. If someone cheats by calling a foot fault on a likely missed putt so they get another chance, the idea is that they suffer the perception of being a cheater and not being honorable. Not saying it's right, just the orientation for how the rules have been written.
      Ive witnessed a former World Champion throw a temper tantrum because our group did not call a foot fault when he stepped off the front of the tee and his drive sucked.........

We just laughed in his face and told him to "get real"

Comment

If someone (maybe Jub, maybe not) misses their putt and the group called a falling putt on him, does the person really get a second chance to make this? I would hope the miss would stand and they wouldn't get a second chance because of a rule violation. I would think the person would get warned and their next falling putt would be a stroke?
        I have seen people miss a putt and call a foul on themselves (at least 3 unique times that I can remember, once @ this past BSF). The only time the player was seconded was by his friend. At this point, there is a fine line between playing by the rules and cheating (leaning heavily toward cheating).

Ive witnessed a former World Champion throw a temper tantrum because our group did not call a foot fault when he stepped off the front of the tee and his drive sucked
        Stroke him for the tantrum and let him re-tee :-).

Comment

1) No double penalties. You would not apply 2 rules to the lie, just the one most applicable. You can't get a 2-stroke penalty except where explicitly called for by the rules.

2) You don't "get a 2nd chance" after a called and seconded falling putt, you MUST re-throw it. Hint: maybe you didn't see that foot fault on the putt he missed...
          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

1) No double penalties. You would not apply 2 rules to the lie, just the one most applicable. You can't get a 2-stroke penalty except where explicitly called for by the rules.
            Except with the 2m rule, you don't have a lie until you apply the 2m rule to establish one. Then, you have a choice regarding wheter to play it where you can then apply the unplayable rule and rethrow. That is not a double penalty because you chose the unplayable when you could have played from the 2m lie without double penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
              Except with the 2m rule, you don't have a lie until you apply the 2m rule to establish one. Then, you have a choice regarding wheter to play it where you can then apply the unplayable rule and rethrow. That is not a double penalty because you chose the unplayable when you could have played from the 2m lie without double penalty.
              Wouldn't the lie be in the tree? And if I step out on that branch... Sounds like an unsafe lie to me.
              I'll bet that this whole controversy is why so many TDs elect not to use the 2 meter rule. Chuck, you made me read the rules, and I think your interpretation is correct. And if I were a TD, I would not be using the 2 meter rule. Now my head hurts...
              Last edited by CrazyDriver; June 18th, 2010, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDriver View Post
                Wouldn't the lie be in the tree? And if I step out on that branch... Sounds like an unsafe lie to me.
                I'll bet that this whole controversy is why so many TDs elect not to use the 2 meter rule. Chuck, you made me read the rules, and I think your interpretation is correct. And if I were a TD, I would not be using the 2 meter rule. Now my head hurts...
                Your lie has to be on a playing surface. Branches up in a tree are not a playing surface.

Now, when something is or is not a playing surface can be a fun conversation too. But branches in a tree definitely are not a playing surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny B View Post
                  But branches in a tree definitely are not a playing surface.
                  Unless there below 2m
                  Read this ^

Comment

Nope. Might want to read the last section for 803.07B in the Interference Rules School: http://www.pdga.com/interference-rule

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X